PDA

View Full Version : Modeling Amph Discussion

Katastrophe
December 25th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Nelskie's recent post about his POD made me curious about modeling amphs. I looked at the Line6 website (which is outstanding, BTW), and was favorably impressed with what I heard on the videos they have on the site. I like the idea of having models of different vintage and modern amphs at my fingertips, as I simply cannot afford all those different amphs. During a recent trip to Guitar Center, I plugged into a Vox modeler that had a price of around $1,200.00, which is WAY out of my league price wise, but the quality of amph models was outstanding, and the effects were great, too.

So, I have a few questions:

Have any of you Vox users tried out a Line6 amph? What do you think about the two?

How close are the models on today's modeling amphs to the real thing?

Anybody tried out the Spider II or III series amph recently? Impressions?

My hope, besides getting these questions answered, is to start a discussion on the pros and cons of modeling amphs in general...

Thanks, Guys!

Plank_Spanker
December 25th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I'm a big proponent of modeling amps! :D I gigged with a Johnson Millennium for over five years, and it's coming back out A/B'ed with my Germino with the new band.

In short - I love my Johnson amps. They're capable of pretty much any sound you can imagine..........IF you have the patience to dig through 17 pages of editing on the amp. They're not for technophobes. They do, however, reward patient tweaking.

Modeling amps are godsends for those playing covers and needing to cover lots of sonic ground. Just do your homework tweaking the patches, load them in memory, and stomp the right switch when you need it. They make gigs an easy affair when it comes to running your rig.

There are downsides to every modeling amp, however.......................

Regardless of how much you dig and tweak, they're only going to sound "close". The digital technology has not crossed over to meet the touch response and nuances of those sought after amps. On gigs. however, "close" will pay the bills. Nobody will notice.

If you're a tone purist seeking those absolutely pure vintage tones, don't look to modelers for it. Play the real thing.

If you're a player seeking a huge spectrum of sound with one amp and are not too hung up on all of the nuances, then a modeling amp might be your thing.

I can go on, but this enough for one post............:D

Robert
December 25th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I have tried Line 6 Spider II, and I was not impressed. The Vox Valvetronix sounds way better to my ears.

The models are quite close to the real thing on the Vox, but I doubt it will ever "get there" on any modeling amp. Having everything in one box or amp is very convenient though, and so what if it doesn't sound 100% as the original? If you like the sound and enjoy playing it, who cares? I don't.

Pros: very cost-effective. Who can afford having 10+ legendary tube amps?
Cons: it's still a copy of the real thing - and one amp can never completely accurately simulate 10+ fantastic tube amps.

DaveO
December 25th, 2006, 10:34 PM
I tried the new Spider III 75 watt. TONS of amp models and sound presets, I think Line 6 says it had 400 different presets. Well, I tried it for about 3 days and of 400 presets I couldn't find many I loved. I might just be too old to want to tweak every preset on the amp but ......:rolleyes: So I took it back and traded it for a Roland Cube 60. Love the Cube, only thing I would improve is to add some footswitchable presets for quick changes, But you can dial up a good sound with just a few tweaks of the knobs.
Dave

SuperSwede
December 26th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Kat, I just HAVE to recommend that you check out the Vox Tonelab. It sounds amazing, especially when you connect it straight to a mixer/computer.

The Spider II does not sound as good as the ADxxVT series from VOX imho.

Jimi75
December 26th, 2006, 04:27 AM
I have been playing Line6 Amps since 1999. I still have my Flextone II as my home amp and in the rehearsal room I have the new Felxtone III XL.

Through all those years I have made excellent expriences with those poeple at Line6. Very supportive if you have an issue.

I think that no set up can beat the flexibility of a modeling amp. You have everything on board for very low money. No extra cables to carry, mostly 2 pieces, the amp an the board. Great!

I think nowadays all modeling amps are also great recording devices. My Felxtone III has a nice XLR out (modeled SM57 Micro) which makes live very easy in live and recording situations.

Please never try to compare the original with the model amp one on one in a store. This could be shocking. The original will blow the model away. Anyway, if I think of some amps I have played in the eighties the digi amps are a god sent present for musicians. When I was young I couldn't effort an all tube amp and when years later I bought my first Felxtone it was an unbelievable feeling - it opened a new door and took my playing to the next step really.

I still prefer the sound of a "real" tube amp and with the years I figured out that I could live with a one channel tube amp - just the guitar the amp and myself, but still it's great to dial into different models from time to time.

Generally I would say, that you can't go wrong with a Line6 Flextone. The spider series is not very convincable, the old flextone is a holy grail and the new Flex III is a working horse, but misses a little bit of the warmth the Flex II had.

Modeling Amps really brought the whole scene forward. You will figure out that you will love 2-3 Models that you will use over and over and make them completely yours.

Tell me a few models you want to hear and I record some clips for you with the Flex II.

Katastrophe
December 27th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the info, guys... The advice you're giving is pointing me in the right direction, and it will shorten my time when I get to a music store to try this stuff out.

It's a shame that Johnson is no longer making the modeling amps (at least according to their website). It would be cool to try one out.

I'm not a huge fan of "artist presets." The first thing I do with a new processor is start building my own tones. I'm kinda picky that way, and I enjoy the process of starting with nothing and building my own sound.

I'll absolutely check out the Vox Tonelab and the AD**VT series in greater depth.

Jimi75, if you want to record a good clean tone with a little reverb that would be great! If you could make another recording with effects (your choice, go nuts!), that would be helpful as well.

Anybody tried out Behringer amps? The price is very attractive...

Jimi75
December 28th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Okay, I just picked two small sequences out of two of my songs.

The clips are recorded with the Flextone II.
Rectifier set clean.

One clip with swell and delay, one clip with a little over the top flanger.
Guitar: Fender 62 Vintage Strat

Have fun.

Jimi

Big_Rob
December 28th, 2006, 01:32 PM
I use a Behringer V-Tone 2x10 with analog modeling, It has 2 channels, a master volume, 3 amp configs (Tweed, British, California) as well as 3 speaker configs (Flat, UK, US). It also has IIRC 27 different FXs you can use and 3 gain stettings (Clean, Hi-Gain, Hot)

I love my amp and can almost get it to sound like a classic Fender or a Marshall amp, Although I havent figured out which amp is modeled in the California configuration (I think a Peavy???)

Katastrophe
December 28th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Really cool samples, Jimi75, thanks for posting those. The effects and underlying tone sound great, even through tiny computer speakers!

Big_Rob, it sounds like you have a very versatile setup with the Behringer. I'm fairly amazed that they can pack so much into a package that costs so little. I can't wait to get the Strat down to the music store and try all these amps out.

Plank_Spanker
December 28th, 2006, 09:49 PM
For the five years that I gigged with my Johnsons, I can't even begin to count the amount of heat I took for it from some of the know-it-alls............."solid state trash, more computer than amp, only tube amps are good", etc - most all of it before we started and a single note was played.

I don't recall hearing any complaints from those that heard the amp. :D