PDA

View Full Version : Attention Washburn Refugees! wd10sce Content

marnold
January 4th, 2013, 10:47 AM
I don't know if any of the Washburn refugees are still around, but my son and I went acoustic shopping yesterday. One of my favorite local establishments has a wd10sce that we really liked. It's a dreadnaught with the cutaway for access to the higher frets. It also has a Fishman preamp, pickup, and tuner. I thought it sounded quite remarkable for $300. Obviously it's not a Martin, but it doesn't cost as much either. Some of the lows sounded a bit boomy amplified, but nothing major. The online reviews seem universally positive. I just wondered if any of you had experience with this model or something similar.

Here's the product page: http://www.washburn.com/products/acoustics/heritage/wd10sce.php

kidsmoke
January 4th, 2013, 12:43 PM
hi, yep still lurking, and still own one washburn. well, kinda. D10's have LONG been a wonderful value. A very competent, playable, good sounding acoustic for very little money.

This is an example of high volume = high value. The D10 is the cash cow for the company, and the director of manufacturing, who spends half his time in Asia inspecting operations (and who learned the guitar business in a similar role for Tacoma for many years) told me personally that making sure that particular model is basically underpriced is a huge priority. I've had lunch with him several times. My sales job use to take me by the shop often and we became well acquainted.

You're experience is consistent with everything I've heard and experienced about them. I've got a buddy with a 2000 model, and made it a point to find one in a shop and play a 2011 model because the company changed hands and I wanted to see if the quality had suffered.

Washburn "fans" will tell you that it's a shame, with such a great magnet for aspiring guitarists in the lineup, that they don't have a better, well, lineup! There really isn't that much in the stable to graduate to. They haven't had a US made acoustic for many years, and the last ones they had, were in fact done in house, and had very mixed reviews given the price point and competition (2k and that ilk)

My "washburn" is actually a Bourgeois from the mid 90's, cosmetically appointed for Washburn, but in all ways that matter, it's a bourgeois "Standard D", and listed, in '95, for $2500.00. that signified a pretty major statement about their acoustic aspirations. Those days appear to be long gone.

marnold
February 15th, 2013, 03:39 PM
He ended up getting it. Best part is that he joined the guitar ensemble at school, so he'll have something practical to keep him practicing.

duhvoodooman
February 15th, 2013, 04:37 PM
I'm gonna need a reasonably priced acoustic-electric for an adult praise band we're forming at church, and that Washburn model is on my short list. Nice to hear more good things about it here!

davewrites
February 15th, 2013, 07:14 PM
My local guitar shop has a WF10SCE (http://www.washburn.com/products/acoustics/heritage/wf10s.php), which is the folk version with a single cutaway. I like it a lot and it's $300-ish, maybe less. Every time I visit the store, it ends up in my lap for at least 10 minutes.

Washburns have become underrated in this over-saturated market and these models offer a tremendous bang for your buck. If my Seagull went missing, I'd be tempted to replace it with a Washburn.

http://www.washburn.com/products/acoustics/heritage/images/WF10SCE.jpg

luvmyshiner
February 22nd, 2013, 08:01 PM
Hey Marnold, glad to hear some good guits are still coming out with the Washburn name. The last few years have been difficult with change of ownership and change of focus on mass producing cheaper guitars with questionable attention to quality. But with so many people picking up "First Act" and hawking "Esteban" on Craigslist, Washburn is still a cut above. And I still have mine and love them.

marnold
February 22nd, 2013, 09:16 PM
Shiner! Good to hear from you. Yep, I was very surprised by the quality of that guitar. Not that I expected it to be bad, I just didn't expect it to be that good. Say hi to CB for me!

mrmudcat
February 23rd, 2013, 12:31 AM
Hey Marnold, glad to hear some good guits are still coming out with the Washburn name. The last few years have been difficult with change of ownership and change of focus on mass producing cheaper guitars with questionable attention to quality. But with so many people picking up "First Act" and hawking "Esteban" on Craigslist, Washburn is still a cut above. And I still have mine and love them.

There he is the man the myth the legend!!! HOWS IT HANGING MY WACO BROTHER!!! LOW, HIGH, RIGHT, LEFT!!:bootyshake