PDA

View Full Version : New England to So. Louisisana by car - helpful tips?

poodlesrule
January 29th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Spouse an I want to visit South Louisiana, maybe by way of Florida, with 20-lbs pooch in tow.
The idea was to drive, yet she now thinks about flying, which I do not agree to.
We have a minivan, Honda and insurance co. roadside assistance, some camping gear an OK budget, and some time, so...

A general question: what would be of help in planning such a trip, beyond the obvious AAA or such?

Eric
January 29th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Cheetos are the most critical thing for a pleasant road trip.

Seriously though, I would say some audio books for when you get bored, and also some camping or hotel guidebooks from AAA would be helpful. Figure out roughly how many miles you want to put on in a day and look at appropriate places to stop for the night. I used to use those AAA triptiks, but they probably have some fancy digital version by this point.

You could also just get in the car and go. I've done that on more than one occasion and it usually works out just fine. I really like road trips though, so more planning might be useful for someone who isn't me. You might want to get your oil changed if it's due and also just have someone do a once-over on your car to make sure you won't encounter any troubles.

Bookkeeper's Son
January 29th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Well, it's not like it was for the settlers when they went west in the olden days in covered wagon. I've done a fair amount of cross-country driving even BEFORE there were cell phones. Aside from preparing for special conditions, like crossing mountain passes when there's snow (needing chains or traction tires), driving a thousand miles isn't really any different from driving a hundred. The Interstate highway system is pretty darn good.

I don't even bother reserving motels for along the way; I've always found something in or just outside towns along the way, and billboards give plenty of notice en route.

I think it's obvious to check out the car, tires, etc. before such a trip. My main thing for road trips is plenty of tunes and snacks. And good maps, too - don't rely solely on GPS.

Tally ho!

poodlesrule
January 29th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Good so far!

I did not think the"digital" aspect of planning the trip, and need to brush up on the new tools available. I do not yet have a GPS, so that would be a start..! I wonder what I could put on a (recent) laptop (beside music)?

Minivan is in great shape, 30,000 miles on the odometer, ready to go.

Eric
January 29th, 2013, 09:58 AM
I did not think the"digital" aspect of planning the trip, and need to brush up on the new tools available. I do not yet have a GPS, so that would be a start..! I wonder what I could put on a (recent) laptop (beside music)?
Do you have a smart phone? I would think the GPS option and a car charger should give you everything you would need, provided you have that available.

If not, I guess a GPS would be good, though I personally prefer old-fashioned maps. I feel like they keep me more in touch with the route and where I am geographically.

poodlesrule
January 29th, 2013, 10:05 AM
If not, I guess a GPS would be good, though I personally prefer old-fashioned maps.

Agreed, mid-range GPS and good maps should do the job.
And yes maps link to natural features, broader overall feel best. just this morning I was looking at a map of Southeast U.S., awesome..!

Bookkeeper's Son
January 29th, 2013, 10:08 AM
The reason I mentioned not relying solely on GPS, is that there have been many instances where the GPS was wrong, and people got lost. A few times this has led to disastrous results.

Spudman
January 29th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Take the back seats out of the mini van so that you have room to stretch out and sleep, load up the camping gear, grab some maps and then take only secondary highways to get there. You'll have a better adventure, see the "real" America and meet a better class of people along the way. You'll also stumble upon more of each region's history along the way. Don't worry, you wont get lost. You'll still be in America.

Most important: don't forget your digital cameras, storage cards and batteries. Enjoy the trip and finally - Cheetos.

NWBasser
January 29th, 2013, 04:31 PM
The reason I mentioned not relying solely on GPS, is that there have been many instances where the GPS was wrong, and people got lost. A few times this has led to disastrous results.

Yeah, some tourists here drove their Landcruiser into a slough during the night while following the GPS!

Tig
January 29th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Don't forget the alligator spray. :poke

It sounds like everyone already provided the useful travel tips. When in Rome... Enjoy tho local cuisine, from beans and rice to crawfish etouffee, shrimp jambalaya, seafood gumbo, pecan pie and beignets.

Mmmm, beignets :drool
http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Beignets_CafeMonde.jpg

Bookkeeper's Son
January 29th, 2013, 09:56 PM
I really like "herbal" cigarettes (nudge nudge, wink wink) for a long road trip, but that may not be your cup of tea.

Duffy
January 30th, 2013, 04:53 AM
A good sized cooler stocked with wholesome food, like pasta salad in containers or something real good. Drinks. Definitely sunglasses. Extra pillows a a couple blankets to create yourself a comfortable place to sleep/rest in. Definitely a decent GPS like a Garmin.

poodlesrule
January 30th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Don't forget the alligator spray. :poke

Hmm... reminds me when we were on the "Old Boyfriends Tour", Boston to Key West, 10 years ago, when same Sweetie refused to sleep in our tent pitched in the municipal campground outside Savannah... which has some swamp nearby, and some small gators!
We were told they actually do not let them grow too big.

Beignets: they seem to be present in many cultures, with slight variations. I wonder what is inside these.

Tig
January 30th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Beignets: they seem to be present in many cultures, with slight variations. I wonder what is inside these.

The 'Nawlins style aren't stuffed.
http://www.bakingandbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/beignets.jpg