PDA

View Full Version : STRAUS Co. Korea, Les Paul Black Beauty

kneesknows
February 4th, 2013, 03:11 PM
New to this, Would anyone have information on Guitar Made in Korea By Straus co. ? I think they are the Dae Won co. now.
This is a Les Paul Black Beauty Style Guitar. Made very well. It has a pearl inlay on the headstock in a flower (rose) design, and has STRAUS on the top of the headstock. The tunning keys and other hardwear is all gold like the Gibson Black Beauty.
I have read on the web that the Dae Won co. makes the Epiphone guitars and the workmanship & fitment of this STRAUS is very simular if not better than the Epiphone. Could it be a model made before they started the Epiphones ?
I have pictures of the guitar but I'm not sure how to post them. Any Help out there ?

Zip
February 4th, 2013, 04:51 PM
If it looks like this ---> http://www.straus.co.kr/gl400.htm , then yes it's made by Dae Won (Straus). Far as I know, just another Asian knockoff.

kneesknows
February 4th, 2013, 05:44 PM
That is the thing, It' doesn't look like the new Dae Won. I know it's just another knock off but how old and what year. I belive it could be late or mid 80s.
it says made in korea on the back of the headstock.If anyone has seen one or has one please let me know.

Zip
February 4th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Why not contact them, with your serial number & any other info you have. I'm sure they'll date it for you.
Daewon, LTD. #607 Zeus Plaza,924, Sau-Dong, Gimpo-Si, Gyeunggi-Do, Korea. phone is 82-31-984-4118 or jhpark@daewonmusic.com
How easy was that? :)

mrmudcat
February 4th, 2013, 11:28 PM
If you look at about us on website link I would say early, mid ninties ??...........The korean epis are actually well built and epiphones have been around decades so I wouldnt say better quality.I also dont think they preceded the epi's. Regardless enjoy what ya got but remember whether its a gibson fender epi squire if the magic isnt in the fingers and the love and passion for the artform isnt there it wont matter what axe brand your slinging!!!:socool Peace and welcome to the forum introduce yourself in new members section !!!!:AOK

1991 Established Daewon Musical Instruments Co., Ltd

kneesknows
February 5th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Thanks for your help! I know that Epiphones have been around along time , I wasn't very clear. My thought was that before the epiphones were made in the Daewon plant in Korea or in the China Plant the Strraus co my have produced these "Straus Black Beauties" With the Straus headstock. My enjoyment has to come from the Information I can find on these older guitars. My hands have been damaged to the point I can't play much anumore.I have been playing ,collecting for about 40 years.
One last question were would I look for a serial number on this guitar. There is no SN on the outside body. Thanks again.!

mrmudcat
February 12th, 2013, 06:11 PM
perhaps on inside of back plate (control cover) places to period date this might be on the pots and or pups.Also if you change strings next time look under the bridge and or tailpiece for s.n.