PDA

View Full Version : EBMM Silhouette Special settings

mrc2011
February 7th, 2013, 01:27 AM
Anyone know how/where to measure neck relief and what are the factory settings for string height and neck relief
on this instrument? Tried to contact EBMM customer service a few days ago but haven't got any reply. Thanks.

mrmudcat
February 7th, 2013, 05:49 AM
:cool:You need a feeler gauge and a capo first of all. 1-12 frets is where you measure but truthfully if you dont know anything about doing so you could mess the neck up.If you want a step by step pm me and ill go into the whole process about back bow front bow etc.etc............there is no special settings/factory so to speak as getting low action and no buzz on any neck involves several factors not just truss rod adjustments. You definitely can do it yourself as far as that goes but realistically a good luthier will do it for $20-30 with a new set of strings!!! I am not trying to discourage you in anyway brother as I know sometimes bringing your baby into a store to be worked on by a stranger and these days the cost is not feasible.Buying a gauge and a capo is going to cost as much maybe a lil cheaper maybe a lil more and you will be set for life. I am just trying to stress the point you need to educate yourself in proper technique before cranking on truss rods and such as it can go south fast!! I have seen some wild crap in my lifetime..........lol...........:socool

I am more than willing when I have time to a step by step explanation if need be.I am only assuming you are new to this stuff about proper neck setup based on your initial post,and I am sorry if im wrong in my assumption:thwap

mrc2011
February 7th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Thank You for your time. I was just kinda searching for the settings that EBMM recommend for this particular instrument. I've had a Strat and a few Ibanez' and I got them set up just fine. Maybe its just some fret wear or other problems with the frets that don't allow me to adjust the strings as low as I desire.

marnold
February 7th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Factory settings don't mean much. Weather will affect neck bow. Some prefer higher action, some lower. If you don't have feeler gages, a business card is the right size.

mrmudcat
February 7th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Good points REV................MRC sounds like you got a good handle on the situation then and perhaps one of the factors might be unlevel frets or pinching at the nut and or saddle adj. might be needed....or one of several factors .................ill do some research on the ernie ball to see if is fitted with a trem or non trem and whatever info I can gleam from my research and resources but prob wont post until tonight late at night or after the weekend.We try to get drunk on each other and high on summertime (coming) on the weekends. Today my 3 year ol cousin gets his wings and we are off to Hotlanta with heavy hearts. GOD gave us 2 more years than the doctors.REV RAWK please keep us in your prayers on this miserable rainy day of driving and sorrow.O.P. ILL DO THE BEST TO POST BACK SOON. Peace brother.

marnold
February 7th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Today my 3 year ol cousin gets his wings and we are off to Hotlanta with heavy hearts. GOD gave us 2 more years than the doctors.REV RAWK please keep us in your prayers on this miserable rainy day of driving and sorrow.O.P. ILL DO THE BEST TO POST BACK SOON. Peace brother.

You've got them, Muddy. My condolences to you and your family. Travel safely.

kidsmoke
February 7th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Sorry Muddy. My family went through that. Tough to accept. Safe travels to you and condolences to everyone affected.

mrc2011: I can't add anything to the technical discussion, but I'd like to hear about that guitar once you get it set up. There's been a white on white silhouette for sale on CL in my area for a while, and everytime I see it I like it more and more. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts