PDA

View Full Version : Wife and son in car wreck. Scary but everyone is ok.

sunvalleylaw
February 7th, 2013, 08:51 PM
It was a pretty bad one. They hit black ice at freeway speeds heading into boise from the sun valley side. They were coming down the hill into town, fog was hitting, saw road flares, started to touch the brakes, then the car broke loose and was heading toward the fire truck that was there attending to 3 other accidents that already had occurred. She hit the fire truck with the passenger side behind my son in the front seat, then got spun around and hit or got hit by another truck in her driver's door. My son was not hurt and handled things like a champ (the son that you met, Mark). My wife ended up with 5 broken ribs (from the door being pushed in), and a bruised lung. She is still in the hospital at the major trauma center in Boise getting pain meds managed until she can be released, likely tomorrow. Sucks, but it could have been so, so much worse. The little Subaru Imprezza Outback is toast. You hear about these freeway accidents and wonder how they happen, but she said when she touched the brakes, the car (AWD with studs all around), took off like a hockey puck. Fortunately, she will be fine, and my son is just a bit sore.

Oh, and the seatbelts saved them. Wear 'em.

Scary pics located here:

http://www.ktvb.com/traffic/alerts/Multiple-rollovers-near-I-84-in-west-Boise--190014231.html?gallery=y&img=1&c=y#/traffic/alerts/Multiple-rollovers-near-I-84-in-west-Boise--190014231.html?gallery=y&img=0&c=y&c=y

Their car is the little bronze subaru (pics starting at 10) that is almost unrecognizable. Man. We were lucky. Thank God.

piebaldpython
February 7th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Oh man.....they were lucky. Prayers and mojo to you and your family.

marnold
February 7th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Good to hear everyone will be OK. Cars can be replaced. People, not so much. There's nothing worse than black ice.

Tig
February 7th, 2013, 09:07 PM
It could have been so much worse. I hope she heals up soon.
Hang in there in the meantime, Steve.

kidsmoke
February 7th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Goodness Steve, your family sure has had to grapple with more than your share of life/death confrontation recently. Thank God everyone walked away. You're blessed.

Robert
February 7th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Oh man. Glad it went that well. Scary!

poodlesrule
February 8th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Glad to read about the planned early release from the hospital. Best wishes for a smooth recovery to all - I am sure you are a bit bruised too.

Yes on safety belts, and also to modern car engineering, with the car being the one taking the damage...

Spudman
February 8th, 2013, 07:56 AM
OMG! That car was...I don't have a word for it. It's amazing they got out of it sort of okay.

Retro Hound
February 8th, 2013, 09:50 AM
I know how easily this can happen, happened once to us with a semi coming our way. Luckily we spun back across the road and landed in a snow bank. Prayers for your family!

duhvoodooman
February 8th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Geez, thank God it wasn't any worse! That Subaru is demolished! Your wife will be good & sore for a while, but she's a lucky woman compared to what could have been....

NWBasser
February 8th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Wow. That is really scary stuff.

I worry about things like this happening to my family. So good to see that they'll be alright.

My truck has some sort of stability control/traction control system. Just for S&G's I've pushed it on an icy parking lot. Didn't seem to do much but make some clicking noises.

I'm guessing air bags helped a lot in that crash.

Brian Krashpad
February 8th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Dang Steve. Prayers and mojo mate!

sunvalleylaw
February 8th, 2013, 02:33 PM
W
I'm guessing air bags helped a lot in that crash.

Thanks all. Actually, the air bags did not deploy. It was a nearly rear, then side impact, and the car is a 2000 so I don't know if the sensors are designed to fire them off for that type of impact, but in any case, they did not go. Gwen's injuries were from the impact near her door. I don't think the airbag would have helped.

Katastrophe
February 9th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Man! Thank God your family is going to be okay! Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for your wife, Steve.

player
February 9th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Whew! Steve.awful and amazing nobody was killed.have always hated black ice.(thinking back in Chicago)hang in there champ.

riverrick
February 10th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Hang in there Steve, someone was watching over your family. Hope everyone will be healed up soon. God bless!!

helliott
February 10th, 2013, 03:52 PM
That's just terrifying. Very glad it wasn't worse. All the best in your family's collective recovery from this trauma.

mrmudcat
February 10th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Thats scary looking ! Hope everyone is ok or atleast will be!!

tjcurtin1
February 12th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Dear God! Glad that everyone is OK, Steve. You all must be counting your blessings and looking at each other in a different light today...