PDA

View Full Version : iTunes - the right way to buy music online?

Myles
December 27th, 2006, 04:48 PM
First and foremost, you should be paying for all the music you get imo.

Now what I'm wondering is what programs you guys use to download songs on a per song basis. I'm thinking of using iTunes, do any of you have any experience with the iTunes store or any other per song purchase sites?

Tone2TheBone
December 27th, 2006, 04:53 PM
We set up an account with iTunes for my daughter last year. It was easy and payment was via a credit card after signing up with iTunes. Downloading took forever though with our stupid dialup. Other than that it's a breeze. We got some iTunes gift cards for Christmas so we'll be purchasing more from the store. I've also been wanting to try Walmart music just cause it's cheap and they have a lot of artists to choose from. I don't care if they're Walmart or not.

sunvalleylaw
December 27th, 2006, 04:56 PM
First and foremost, you should be paying for all the music you get imo.

Now what I'm wondering is what programs you guys use to download songs on a per song basis. I'm thinking of using iTunes, do any of you have any experience with the iTunes store or any other per song purchase sites?

I use it all the time. I really like it and find it easy to use, decently priced, etc. I am not interested in "renting" music in a subscription type service like how some of the other sites are set up. I tend to buy "hard copies" of things I think I will really want to keep archived, and buy more experimental, impulse, or other purhcases from iTunes. Part of my reasoning for the hard copies is that I import them at a higher quality rate into my iPod. I can't say though, that my ears can really tell the difference between imported off a cd and downloaded from iTunes. Just what I tend to do.

stingx
December 27th, 2006, 07:57 PM
iTunes simply rocks.

marnold
December 27th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I hate any DRM-encumbered format. I see the reason for it, but all it does is limit the ability for me to use the music I paid for in whatever way I see fit. I totally agree that if you like it you should buy it. But I don't think I should be limited in how I play it. I can't even listen to iTunes stuff in Linux anyway without WINE. Technically, I can't legally watch any of the DVDs I purchased since the only way I can play DVDs in Linux is by using a reverse-engineered CSS decrypter. Basically, if there's something I really like, I'll buy the CD and rip it to MP3s for my computer, car, PDA, etc.

Having said this, I have used eMusic and was happy with how everything worked (the downloads are MP3s). I haven't subscribed in awhile since they didn't have anything more I was really interested in. I did get a bunch of cool blues stuff off there.

Myles
December 28th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Well you guys definitely have me convinced that its easy enough to use.

What is the cost per song? Does it vary?

duhvoodooman
December 28th, 2006, 09:38 AM
The selection of music is great and it's very easy to use, but I hate the proprietary M4P file format. I have to burn to CD then rip back to the PC to get them into MP3 format. Pain in the butt.....

SuperSwede
December 28th, 2006, 03:20 PM
I love iTunes. Its quick and offers good music quality.

sunvalleylaw
December 28th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Well you guys definitely have me convinced that its easy enough to use.

What is the cost per song? Does it vary?

Cost per individual song is $.99. Albums cost varies. Newer ones tend to be $9.99. Some older titles are less. Larger compilations, double albums, etc. may be more.