PDA

View Full Version : How to grasp a first gig and giging help etc.

NC Zeppelin
February 12th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Hey guys. My friend and i get together for rehearsal alot since high school a long time ago, from jazz band, jazz band competitions and talent shows, and we thought about finally start playing in local coffee shops and bars in a small city, compared to a major city, to play and for pay. we cant find a local drummer thats really dependable. I play guitar and sing vocals. My friend, teaching him vocals, and plays bass. My friend also plays small percussion, for the empty space of a drummer (maracas, tambourine, etc.) I bought a standard edition of fruity loops and thought about creating or using midi drums for a "drummer" till we are able to find one, for practice. I was wondering if you guys can tell me a good price range a-hour gig? How to know if im being under-paid for a good performance? Things to watch out for? Good approach? Good pitches? Tip Jar a good idea? Advertisement/promotion while playing and keeping a step ahead of the competition? (There isint a lot of competition in the area but a good idea i assume to stay ahead of the pack) Anything to have the upper hand and not get screwed over and still be well paid? Should i stick with guitar and bass or play a midi drum backtrack with a amp on performance? I sing with a professional concert choir so i have a good solid vocals and also taught myself a wide repertoire of genres on guitar and know music theory fresh from community collage and can transpose and improvise. Any advice, personal experience, personal thoughts, or tips is greatly appreciated! Also, and my apologizes if im posting on the wrong forum. Rock on! :dude

Brian Krashpad
February 13th, 2013, 01:15 PM
How to tell you're gettng underpaid?

Probably if you getting paid, you're getting underpaid. The only other option is not getting paid though, in most "markets."

All my experience is w/full bands doing entirely or mostly originals, so I can't give much concrete help.

mrmudcat
February 13th, 2013, 02:00 PM
If your going to do this seriously so to speak then you need a live drummer lots of practice.You might have to postpone doing gigs to get tight as a band.Sometimes a free gig or two is great promotion that is after you have a tight band and gig list to practice workout the songs.Word of mouth is the key if good things are said then lots of people including bar/store /shop owners and or house managers will here about it. Personally speaking a backing /midi type tracking for drums just wont cut it !! Studio or recording at home is different.Live band is just that, when I go out (longtime ago) it was to check out the local talent and or competition.Alot of times you meet fellow artists and find band members at gigs.Getting paid is a tricky thing.Do a few free (well if at bar and you drink get drinks free or coffee or food,,,,,.lol.............) gigs at the same venue maybe 2 nights on weekends and discuss pay from there.