PDA

View Full Version : Nad

mrmudcat
February 18th, 2013, 10:16 PM
PIE changed my mind on the vox and bought what I wanted lifes short as you know all to well!! This amp really has my heart racing.........the 2-5 day wait will be hard .........................................would love some opinions good or bad and really would like to hear some real opinions for those who have owned played one!!

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN2172000132

piebaldpython
February 18th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Good pick there Mud.......at first I thought it was the Vox AC4TV that came out 1-2 yrs ago. However, the AC4TV has 2 tubes and the AC4C1 has 3 tubes, the difference being an extra 12AX7.

The review below is pretty much all positive until you have to take the back off to get at the tubes. Sounds like a good amp and you ought to have fun with it. 10" Celestion Speaker.

Any tube will give you some sparkle for slide and this ought to fill the bill without getting the horses all jumpy. :dance

BTW Mud......check this link out for some very reasonably priced lap steels. Tremblay is up in Canada and some guys on the SteelGuitar Forum have Tremblay steels.

http://www.tremblayguitars.com/

Here's an Atlanta GA fella, Steve Cunningham, who is a fabulous lap steeler. Here's a clip of him. He recently got a Tremblay steel though that isn't the steel he uses in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcuxTVBVepI

piebaldpython
February 19th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Damn Mud......that was a quick change. lol Looks like a killer amp for slide. The ad didn't say what tubes are under the hood......my guess is 6V6 or 6L6s.

Anyway, the recommendation still stands for the Tremblay lap steels. He has a fairly quick turn-around time too.

mrmudcat
February 19th, 2013, 12:12 AM
well I think this time around im taking no prisoners ........like to get one of those lappys ya got made!! That or a new/old supro!!

Tig
February 19th, 2013, 12:37 AM
A Princeton is on my LUST list! The greenback is a sweet upgrade. :drool

Hsoon-to-beAD, Muddy!

mrmudcat
February 19th, 2013, 12:47 AM
I have lusted over one of these and I got the last one from zzsounds...only 250 made not sure if thats 250 blue 250 green......anyways the green has the jensen go figure I would of put the greenback in the green color amp ...but who's BIATCHING!!! I see a daphne blue strat in our future!!!! I will have to take a few pics from the puter until I get a stinking camera!! Looking at several websites its not clear whether this has a celstion or jensen I hate that, you would think specs would be right .......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ! THE JENSEN IS AN UPGRADED ALNICO SPEAKER AND IVE NEVER USED ALNICOS ANY HELP HERE ON ALNICOS IN GENERAL IS APPRECIATED! ATLEAST THESE ARE ITALY MADE AND NOT CHINA/celestions

From reading reviews these are considered the upgrade with the exception being the new sparkly P.R. ones which have the celestion gold alnico but runs about $200-300 more!! I swear I learn more and more everyday or atleast remember more of what ive forgotten :thwap

Spudman
February 19th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Congrats on the new amph.

I have a 1970s Princeton Reverb that I got back then in high school. I always thought the speaker was weak. I upgraded to a 10" alnico and it really sings now without farting out. Seems like I get more loud clean volume when I changed to that speaker too. I don't use it all the time, but when I do it sounds great and it starts me to thinking why I would need anything else. Then I go to a jam and realize that I have louder amps for that reason.

piebaldpython
February 19th, 2013, 10:03 AM
well I think this time around im taking no prisoners ........like to get one of those lappys ya got made!! That or a new/old supro!!

The guy that makes my steels usually has a 6 mth turn-around. Jason Lollar makes new Supro pups that postively scream blues......so if you pick up an old Supro and get Lollar to make you that pup, that might be the way to go. Here's Lollar's info on that pup.

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LGP&Product_Code=Supro&Category_Code=steel-guitar-pickups

mrmudcat
February 19th, 2013, 01:53 PM
nice im on that PIE and thanks!!!

mrmudcat
February 19th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Hello donald mooney

Here is an update on your zZounds.com order, order number ZZ2415199.

Items on this order have updated status (Shipped).

Fender Limited Edition '65 Princeton Guitar Combo Amplifier (15 Watts,
1x10") - Shipped

WOOHOOO!!!!!!

Robert
February 19th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Congrats man! That is surely a SWEET sounding amp!

Rock on bro.

tjcurtin1
February 19th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Good thing you jumped on it when you did, Muddy - I just clicked the link to check it out and it says: "This product is no longer available at zZounds." !

Oh, thought you should know - I used the order number you posted to go in and make sure that they had the 'right' shipping address...:poke:

Katastrophe
February 19th, 2013, 10:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHVG4kDurtY

Absolutely lustworthy! Great choice, Muddy!

mrmudcat
February 20th, 2013, 01:10 AM
Good thing you jumped on it when you did, Muddy - I just clicked the link to check it out and it says: "This product is no longer available at zZounds." !

Oh, thought you should know - I used the order number you posted to go in and make sure that they had the 'right' shipping address...:poke:

Well just ship it on to bama after you break her in!!!

kidsmoke
February 20th, 2013, 11:17 AM
1948 Supro Comet, for sale up the road a bit for a mere $375.00 Even color co-ordinates with that powder puff amp you just bought, Muddy.....

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/Supro1948Comet003_zps2df44bc2.jpg

tjcurtin1
February 20th, 2013, 03:42 PM
What a cool looking piece that is! Talk about yer retro mojo!

mrmudcat
February 20th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Tio id be all over it but im amp broke now!!!!!!!!!

tjcurtin1
February 20th, 2013, 09:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHVG4kDurtY

Absolutely lustworthy! Great choice, Muddy!

Oh, baby! What a sound with that Tele!!! Sorry, Muddy - it may be a long break-in period!

mrmudcat
February 21st, 2013, 09:28 PM

-

2/21/2013 - Thursday

6:01 pm

Delivered

Clanton, AL

Left at front door. Signature Service not requested.

8:33 am

On FedEx vehicle for delivery

Well the amp is here and it is a keeper!!! Read some bad reviews of a speaker baffle rattle on the first year ones and mine(newer) had just a lil remnants of glue or such as a possible remedy.I did have a lil rattle with bass on 10 and treb 10 verb 5 but a screwdriver to the back panels took care of all noise but just to be sure I siliconed lightly finger bead around baffle for no rattle period!! She sounds sweet and I mean it.I was a bit sad to see a manufactured baffle (MDF) and cab(not sure about this part but baffle is MDF) I was expecting wood for that price and for the amount of attention that was paid to the build quality because it is spot on !!! I will build a ext cab out of hardwood ply fo-sho!! It is a good day!!!:socool:dance

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2013/Mar/Adding_an_Extension_Cab_to_a_Fender_Combo.aspx

Well I dug this up to remind me that unless I change OT ill have to switch internal speaker to a 16 ohm and get a ext cab with an 16 ohm speaker to match a 8 ohm total load.(seems the easiest way to me moreso than the pro answer and other poster).....can somone confirm this as I have trouble remembering things these days...........................:thwap

marnold
February 21st, 2013, 09:51 PM
Excellent! Rock the rafters!

Brian Krashpad
March 2nd, 2013, 08:31 AM
And someone HAS to say this:

PICS?

Congrats Don!

Duffy
March 4th, 2013, 07:07 AM
You could possibly try a highly sensitive speaker like the Eminence Ragin' Cajun. This speaker made my SCXD a "lot" louder and also made it sound better, to my ear.

A highly sensitive speaker will sound potentially a "lot" louder than the stock speaker, and a lot of the times the stock speakers in the Fender amps are low sensitivity speakers; so this leaves a lot of room to get your amp sounding a lot louder just by replacing the speaker with a good sounding highly sensitive speaker. The Ragin' Cajun is a ten inch speaker and sounds good to a lot of people, and it's only about 65 dollars.

Another option would be to use "just" an extension speaker cabinet with a good twelve or fifteen inch guitar speaker in it. I'd personally get a highly sensitive one and enjoy a lot more volume. Just a few dB of sensitivity can give you a major increase in volume, and if you can get
5 dB increase in sensitivity you will be getting a major increase in sensitivity and resultant volume. I would not think that a five dB difference between a stock Princeton speaker and a highly sensitive speaker would be difficult find.

Sometimes it seems like the simplest solutions are the best ones.

Good luck with what ever option you decide to go with.

cebreez
March 4th, 2013, 06:19 PM
The "Eminence Ragin' Cajun" is a really good speaker! I little bit of a departure from the tweed sound but great for getting in your face at lower volumes. And much warmer than I expected it to be. Definitely a solid upgrade for most stock speakers.

mrmudcat
March 11th, 2013, 01:55 AM
Thanks guys !! For now im happy with the jensen alnico and it is damn loud with the empress multidrive!!! The cleans with some tre/vib and reverb is to die for. My first upgrade would be some major tube upgrades and maybe a hotter bias on them.Heard these are biased on the cold side!!:socool

cebreez
March 14th, 2013, 08:46 PM
I have some 8" Jensen MOD's if you'd like to build a 2x8 extension cab.

mrmudcat
March 15th, 2013, 07:03 AM
thanks brother but I might buy another one of these to do a stereo rig so to speak.