PDA

View Full Version : So,it's all about the dopamine...!

poodlesrule
February 22nd, 2013, 07:15 AM
Caught an interesting bit on late-night PBS radio on music, and links to depression among many notable composers, Robert Shumann, Berlioz, and a good number of others with clinical, severe depression.

Here is an article (http://phys.org/news/2011-01-reveals-biochemical-music-emotion.html) on the same subject.
It also brings the idea of tension and release - I very much like Joe Bonamassa's way of building tension..!

So, pleasant music stimulates the production of dopamine.
Wouldn't it be easier for us to buy dopamine at the corner store, instead of agonizing over this or that amp, FX, wood, strings..?

BTW, personally, as my endocrine system has been kicked around a bit, I find that music has now a whole new power on me. Live music has become an addiction like never before! Conversely, I dead the presence of violence in movies.

tjcurtin1
February 22nd, 2013, 01:37 PM
Conversely, I dead the presence of violence in movies.

Little subconscious slip there, PR? I feel the same way, tho perhaps not QUITE so strongly!:)

piebaldpython
February 22nd, 2013, 02:12 PM
lol Well, don't go see the new Bruce Willis movie "A Good Day to Die Hard" then......98 minutes of shoot-em-up/blow-em-up. We kinda liked the movie even though the "action" was un-believeable at times. lol

Yeah, music gives me an endorphine high too.....especially slide guitar.

tjcurtin1
February 22nd, 2013, 08:34 PM
Funny thing is, Bruce Willis etc is just what my wife considers perfect relaxation material! Though she doesn't like realistic gore, she loves explosions! I'm more of a Bergman type, which drives her crazy... Makes it hard to watch movies together sometimes, but we did enjoy 'Lincoln' and 'Argo' together.

That's funny - slide really does it for me, too.

poodlesrule
February 23rd, 2013, 06:45 AM
To clarify about violence: I think my mention of it refers to the vicious kind, in a context of hurting or exploiting people, not so much the "fantasy" action kind.

slide really does it for me, too.

I would like to try some basic slide playing, no really sure how to get started though, other than some of the mechanics of it (action, etc). You Tube to the rescue, perhaps? I need to make a deal with a local blues guy who is pretty good at slide...

piebaldpython
February 23rd, 2013, 07:07 AM
I would like to try some basic slide playing, no really sure how to get started though, other than some of the mechanics of it (action, etc). You Tube to the rescue, perhaps? I need to make a deal with a local blues guy who is pretty good at slide...

As to what you may or may not have to do to your git.....check out the following link of a conversation Muddy and myself had with Tio........http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/21161-Setting-up-an-RS-2-for-slide. I would definitely try playing slide without changing your git around....if for no other reason than to make sure you like it first. Tio didn't do anything to his git and he's having a blast.

As to how to learn, other than getting one-on-one instruction.......go under YouTube and type in David Hamburger Slide.......he has a Slide course out on TrueFire that is first-rate....and some chunks of that course have found their way onto YouTube.

If you want more info, just set up a New thread dedicated to Slide and a bunch of us will be more than happy to respond.

cebreez
February 23rd, 2013, 04:08 PM
Well I don't know about the "Dopamine" but I'm born adrenaline junky. And music definitely makes me high which is why I never understood why musicians needed street drugs. As for slide.... I love slide music right up until I pick up my slide and try to play it at which point I can't stand it and don't want to hear it anymore. I know... weird right?