PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic-Electric advice needed....

duhvoodooman
February 25th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Our church is in the process of adding a second praise band with some of us "oldsters", since about 2/3 of the current band will be heading off to college next fall. I need to pick up a decent acoustic-electric for this purpose; I want a dreadnought style body with a cutaway and wish to keep the fiscal damage to $500 or less. Poking around online and paying attention to price, features and customer satisfaction/feedback, a couple of models that seem to stand out to me at this point are the Seagull Entourage Rustic CW QIT ($500) and the Washburn WD25SCE ($400). I'm interested in any feedback on these two makes & models, plus any other pertinent info/recommendations that meet the above criteria. TIA!!

marnold
February 25th, 2013, 10:47 AM
The only advice I can offer is that the Washburn that my son bought is really nice, both acoustically and amplified. It's a slightly lower end model than the one you mention. It probably won't be mistaken for a Martin, but it doesn't cost nearly as much. In a band context I'm not sure the average person would know or care.

duhvoodooman
February 25th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Thanks, Rev. Yeah, I'm certainly not looking for Martin levels of quality or price! Just a well-made instrument with good sound, acoustically & electrically, and easy to play.

marnold
February 25th, 2013, 11:09 AM
My son's Washburn has all of that. Really fun to play. I don't know if the shop we bought it from did much setup on it before they put it out, but I certainly didn't have to do anything to it.

duhvoodooman
February 25th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Waitin' on some feedback from the Canuck Fretter contingent on the Seagull, since it's 100% Canadian made.... :canada:

Zip
February 25th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Check out the Ibanez EW20ASE NT (quilted ash body). I have one, and it gets more play time than more expensive lumber I own. The notch filter is very usable, great projection, woody tones, and looks pretty nifty too. Here's what they look like---->here (http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBANEZ-IBA-EW20ASE-NT-QUILT-ASH-ACOUSTIC-ELECTRIC-/330854107035?pt=Guitar&hash=item4d0871079b) (not my sale, BTW).

Bookkeeper's Son
February 25th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Seagulls are nice, good-sounding guitars, but I advise that you check out the neck first. Even though the Entourage series has the narrower nut width of 1.72" (other Seagulls are 1.8), it's still a bit wider than many other guitars, and the profile is a bit strange, kinda fat-shouldered. I have an A&L dread with the same neck, and have never been able to bond with it, due to the neck.

cebreez
February 25th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Check out the Ibanez EW20ASE NT (quilted ash body). I have one, and it gets more play time than more expensive lumber I own. The notch filter is very usable, great projection, woody tones, and looks pretty nifty too. Here's what they look like---->here (http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBANEZ-IBA-EW20ASE-NT-QUILT-ASH-ACOUSTIC-ELECTRIC-/330854107035?pt=Guitar&hash=item4d0871079b) (not my sale, BTW).

Thats a really good looking acoustic! I like the price too! What I found out after purchasing two acoustics online (im hard to train) is that the guitars were nothing that I expected and I ended up getting rid of both. The only way to buy an acoustic/electric is to go to the music store and pick it up and play it. Im lucky enough to have a Guitar Center close buy so I can put hands on most makes and models. That is where I learned that even some of the more expensive models were total crap while some of the cheaper models like the Ibanez can have a really comfortable out of the box feel and sound.

cebreez
February 25th, 2013, 09:15 PM
How about this one duhvoodooman... http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-IBANEZ-PF30SECENT-DREAD-CTWY-SOLID-SPRUCE-TOP-MAH-Bamp-S-108530084-i2948232.gc

duhvoodooman
February 25th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Guess I'm definitely gonna need to head up to my favorite local guitar emporium and try a few of these. I generally know what to expect from the better known brands of electrics. But on these acoustic-electrics....not so much.

Eric
February 26th, 2013, 07:03 AM
I think Seagull, Washburn, and Ibanez artwood (or those exotic wood ones that were mentioned above) are all good. The Seagulls I've played don't project very well, but they're nice and warm, which is what I usually go for. I usually plug in anyway, so volume isn't a big deal -- I just don't know that I'd use one if I was in a bluegrass band.

The nicer Takamines are also good to play. Some people do dislike the necks on Seagulls, so I would make sure you like it before plopping down the cash. Personally, I like the neck a lot on the regular ol' S6 that I have.

If you want to fit in with the current church trends, go for Taylor or Breedlove. I've always been a little underwhelmed by Breedlove though. Nice guitars, but they don't really blow me away when factoring in price.

duhvoodooman
February 26th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Anybody have any experience with the Epiphone Masterbilt series, specifically the DR-500MCE model? I'm reading a lot of good things about these guitars--excellent workmanship & quality, impressive sounding 2-pickup eSonic2 electronics, and 100% solid wood construction. There are some good deals ($400 - $450) on this normally $600 guitar on eBay for factory seconds due to cosmetic blemishes.

duhvoodooman
February 26th, 2013, 09:28 PM
The deal is done!

Went to my local GC tonight and played a bunch of guitars, including the Epi Masterbilt DR-500MCE, Seagull Entourage, a couple of Yamahas, an Ibanez, a Taylor 110CE, a Martin, and a Breedlove. Those last three were all in the $800 range, more than I intended to spend, but I wanted to compare them. My clear favorite? The Epi Masterbilt, hands down, even ignoring the price difference. Very comfortable neck that felt like an old friend, beautiful rich dreadnought tone, beautiful looking guitar (had the natural top, not the burst), played great, and I was really impressed with the sound of the electronics. The two different pickups that can be used separately or blended together is a very cool feature and gives the guitar tremendous tonal flexibility. Second choice for me was the Taylor--it played very well and I found that neck extremely comfortable, too. But I wasn't quite as keen on its brighter tone, though it's extremely articulate. Electronics sounded good, but not up to the level of the Epi.

So I promptly hopped in my car, drove home and bought a new factory second that I had checked out this afternoon on eBay. Has a couple of very minor cosmetic defects (shown in photos), but the seller has impeccable ratings, there's a 14-day money-back guarantee, and I only had to pay $415 including shipping. Also got a well-rated Guardian HSC for an additional $60. So $475 for the whole enchilada, nicely staying within my $500 budget limit. I'm a happy camper! The eBay auction is here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121071511601

Will post more when it arrives....

piebaldpython
February 26th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Congrats on your git. Epi's have come a long way. Uh-oh......since you got something to ADD to your collection......does that mean something has to bite the dust and leave the fold??? Parting is such sweet sorrow.

duhvoodooman
February 27th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Uh-oh......since you got something to ADD to your collection......does that mean something has to bite the dust and leave the fold???
Nope, not this time--special exemption from the "1-in-1-out" rule since the guitar is for the church praise band. :D

Eric
February 27th, 2013, 07:57 AM
That's nice that you found a guitar that will work. What sort of songs will you be playing? Playing with other people is fun, if occasionally frustrating.

sunvalleylaw
February 27th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Congrats!! Glad you found one you liked! Acoustics seem to be very personal preferences to me. Especially not plugged in. Glad that Masterbilt worked out for you!

duhvoodooman
February 27th, 2013, 12:03 PM
What sort of songs will you be playing?
Contemporary praise music, mostly. A lot of the Hillsong stuff, if you're familiar with that.

Eric
February 27th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Contemporary praise music, mostly. A lot of the Hillsong stuff, if you're familiar with that.
Definitely. It's hard not to be familiar with that music these days. That should be a fun outlet for you; do you have all of the necessary musicians?

piebaldpython
February 27th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Amazing Grace on a lap steel in Open E thru an overdriven tube amp would just KILL.....just sayin'. :poke

duhvoodooman
February 27th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Amazing Grace on a lap steel in Open E thru an overdriven tube amp would just KILL.....just sayin'. :poke
Funny you should mention that. Just a couple of days ago, I was fooling around trying (badly) to play that with a slide on my P-Rails Tele tuned to open G. Might be able to make it semi-presentable with some practice.

....do you have all of the necessary musicians?
In pretty good shape there. We have some good voices, two guitars, a bass, and a drummer. Working on firming up a keyboard player.

mrmudcat
February 27th, 2013, 04:46 PM
That is alot of bang for the buck!!! CONGRATS BROTHER!:dude

duhvoodooman
February 27th, 2013, 06:07 PM
That is alot of bang for the buck!!! CONGRATS BROTHER!:dude
Thanks, Muddy!

Here's a pic from the eBay listing:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Epiphone-Masterbilt-DR-500MCE-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-Natural-/00/s/MTA2Nlg3MTE=/z/NNoAAMXQiM5Q-xXf/$T2eC16FHJHgE9n0yDjuKBQ-)(eknKw~~60_57.JPG

piebaldpython
February 27th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Funny you should mention that. Just a couple of days ago, I was fooling around trying (badly) to play that with a slide on my P-Rails Tele tuned to open G. Might be able to make it semi-presentable with some practice.

Lemme make sure you are properly inspired.....heh-heh........Sarah Jory is primarily known for her pedal steel work but on this she plays some mean slide.....she cranks it up around 2:45 in.

mrmudcat
February 27th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Link please between you me and tig we might have half a memory!!....ha!!!

cebreez
February 28th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Solid score man!!! And from my neck of the woods! Better keep that polishing rag handy! :drool:

duhvoodooman
February 28th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Link please between you me and tig we might have half a memory!!....ha!!!This one, I'd guess: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpx87LuDM4E

If I could REMOTELY play that, my guess is that about half of our conservative Lutheran congregation would vapor-lock and meet their Maker right on the spot. ;)

mrmudcat
February 28th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Wow that was sweet!! I can play a version but she puts me to shame!!!!! I had goose bumps a tear in my eye and a big ol smile on my face while watching this!!!! My heaven would be Duane playing a version of this at the pearly gates!!! Hopefully im not on the downtown train instead of the uptown train!!!

piebaldpython
February 28th, 2013, 10:35 AM
What the heck is wrong with me forgetting the YouTube link? Good grief. Thanks Vood.

One of the things that I love about slide/lap steel is that you can just hit the EMOTION of playing just with a few notes....this clip exemplifies what I mean, especially once she cranks the amp past 2:45.

duhvoodooman
February 28th, 2013, 10:56 AM
....especially once she cranks the amp past 2:45.
I don't disagree with your point at all--just want to point out that what she does at 2:45 is to dial up the volume control on the guitar. No need to touch the amp....

piebaldpython
February 28th, 2013, 11:55 AM
To be honest, I wasn't watching her right hand at all.....I was watching her slide hand. I didn't realize she changed her git volume.....I just assumed she hit a boost/OD pedal. lol

duhvoodooman
February 28th, 2013, 12:10 PM
There for awhile, I wasn't watching either of her hands.... :notme

cebreez
February 28th, 2013, 12:35 PM
There for awhile, I wasn't watching either of her hands.... :notme

Whew!!:thwap I wanted to say that but was afraid everyone would think I'm an egghead. BUT....!!!! :socool A wee bit of a looker she was!

mrmudcat
February 28th, 2013, 02:25 PM
I was hearing the song motorboating by lil big town in my head but my ears were hearing A.G. Typical devil on my left shoulder and angel on my right!!

Yep that comment landed me a slap on my backside angel wins again!!!:thwap:rollover:socool

Duffy
March 3rd, 2013, 03:05 AM
Nice. I like that amber tint to the top. Very beautiful guitar and all solid wood. I bet you will really like that pickup pre-amp rig.

Perfect Stranger
March 3rd, 2013, 05:04 AM
In that price you should definitely look at a used Taylor 214E.....excellent guitar and electronics.

ronbo
March 7th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Been looking at a Masterbuilt myself, specifically the AJ500R, slope shouldered dreadnaught with Rosewood B/S. The couple of mahogany ones I've played are really nice and they're a great value, hard to find much that good at that price point. I have a couple of Recording Kings - a nice Adi-topped solid mahogany dread (RD-316) and a solid maple bodied L00 blues box (RNJ-25) that are fantastic guitars, but hard to find local dealers that carry them so you can play them. I also just bought a solid mahogany Eastman OM (AC-512M) that is the nicest guitar I've ever owned, but again, not a lot of dealers around that carry them. Buy most of my guitars online, but do a lot of research before pulling the trigger, definitely nicer when you can play the one your taking home!

Glad you found a good one, if you live in dry country like me (Colorado), be sure to keep it in a case and get a humidifier for it...my necks and tops can warp enough to get fret buzz in a week or so in the winter here.

Duffy
March 8th, 2013, 09:00 PM
The deal is done!

Will post more when it arrives....

I have been interested in reading about your experience with the Masterbilt. Has it not arrived yet? It seems like it has been a while. It definitely will be interesting to hear about the new Epi, for sure.

duhvoodooman
March 11th, 2013, 01:29 PM
I have been interested in reading about your experience with the Masterbilt. Has it not arrived yet? It seems like it has been a while. It definitely will be interesting to hear about the new Epi, for sure.Yep, it arrived on Fri. Mar. 3. I am very pleased with the guitar and have been playing it a lot. It's got a really nice, rich dreadnought tone, it plays great, and the workmanship is excellent. The cosmetic "defects" are ridiculously minor, so getting $175 off the going price of $600 was a killer of a deal. It had just one issue that bothered me a bit--the saddle seemed very high to me, protruding almost 3/8" above the bridge piece. That translated to a rather high action once you got up around the cutaway. The neck relief was fine, so it was really just a saddle height issue. The saddle actually leaned slightly back toward the neck from the string pressure, so I was also concerned that it might be stressed to the point of cracking at some time in the future.

I really didn't want to fool around with that myself, so I took it to a local luthier who was highly recommended to me by a guitar-playing coworker. The guy is the authorized Martin warranty service rep for this area and also builds guitars, and really knows his stuff. I brought it over to him and he worked on it while I sat there & chatted with him. When he measured it, it turned out that the string height at the twelfth fret was pretty close to right on spec on the bass side, but a bit high on the treble side, so he removed the saddle and sanded off a bit diagonally toward the treble side. In the process, he found that the factory had installed a couple of thin shims under the saddle in the bridge slot, beneath the Nanoflex pickup strip. We decided to take one out, to lower the saddle in the slot a bit. This dropped the string height slightly below spec, but no buzzing occurred, so that's the way we left it. This noticeably improved the action up around the cutaway, and the lean of the saddle is much reduced. The guitar plays like butter now--very comfortable when playing for an extended amount of time, even for a soft-fingered electric guy like me.

Eric
March 11th, 2013, 02:09 PM
The guitar plays like butter now--very comfortable when playing for an extended amount of time, even for a soft-fingered electric guy like me.
Cool deal, DVM. When are you going to have it in action? That's the fun part!

duhvoodooman
March 11th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Cool deal, DVM. When are you going to have it in action? That's the fun part!
I used in in our second praise band rehearsal this past Saturday--got compliments on how good the guitar sounded. The first Sunday we're scheduled to play is the week after Easter, Apr. 7th.

Eric
March 11th, 2013, 02:26 PM
I used in in our second praise band rehearsal this past Saturday--got compliments on how good the guitar sounded. The first Sunday we're scheduled to play is the week after Easter, Apr. 7th.
Rawk! I was hoping we would be playing on the same day, but I'll be running sound that day instead of playing. I guess you'll have to rock twice as hard for me!

I'm of the impression that tone compliments are usually due at least 50% to the person making the sounds, so that's some nice feedback.