PDA

View Full Version : NFL 2013 [American Football]

R_of_G
March 1st, 2013, 04:19 PM
It's that time of year, when I read/hear lots of stories about this team and that team informing their players that they need to restructure their contracts or they'll be cut.

What I don't seem to be reading or hearing is the same venom and hatred which was directed at Darelle Revis two years ago when he had the audacity to suggest he'd like the Jets to restructure his contract.

I'm not sure what percentage of the hypocrisy results from racism and what part comes from views on organized labor relations but there is something wrong when it's a headline-grabbing outrage when players ask for more money before their deals are done, but "it's just the way things are done in the NFL" when teams do the inverse.

It seems to come down to "they're making millions to play a game, so they should shut up." Of course, the owners are making billions just watching the game and not subjecting their brains to permanent damage, but let's not worry about that.

R_of_G
March 7th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Q: When is a massive profit billed as an industry-threatening loss?

A: When it's an NFL franchise's bottom line.

EXCERPT...

In 2010 and 2011, as the NFL prepared for and staged a lockout of its players, Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson was among the hardest of the hardliners, urging his fellow owners to "take back our league" by demanding a more management-friendly collective-bargaining agreement.

Meanwhile, according to an audited financial statement obtained by Deadspin, Richardson's Panthers were making more than $100 million in profit over the fiscal years covering those two seasons.

The statement is for the years ending March 31, 2011, and March 31, 2012. Over the first period, as Richardson argued that the NFL's business model was hopelessly broken and steered the owners toward a showdown to extract more money from the players, the Panthers recorded an operating profit of $78.7 million. The team had gone 2-14 on the field, but Richardson and his partners were able to pay themselves $12 million.

Over the following year, after the owners had won their lockout and reduced the players' share of league revenue from 50 percent to 47 percent, the Panthers brought in $33.3 million in operating profit. Richardson began lobbying for public subsidies to renovate his 17-year-old stadium. The team went 6-10.

FULL STORY... http://deadspin.com/5988893/leaked-nfl-documents-while-owner-cried-hardship-carolina-panthers-had-112-million-profit-over-two-years

NWBasser
March 8th, 2013, 02:44 PM
That's all rather sickening.

Also indicative of the ref lockout last season.

The game is becoming a big-money sham.

sunvalleylaw
March 8th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Dang. That's depressing.

piebaldpython
March 8th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Yeah.......the owners cry and cry.....reminiscent of some of the political crap we hear all the time......but I digress.

Your point is well taken and while I have no qualm with an owner making money (in theory, he is the one taking the financial risk)......I do have MAJOR problems with people screaming POOR ME while they have their hands firmly ensconced in the proverbial cookie jar. And therefore the owners of the Panthers deserve any media/public outcry they get.

As to Reavis......and I may be wrong here.....but if Reavis asks for a re-structuring, it's to get more money in his contract.......but when the team asks for a re-structuring, it's to change the pay-out of an existing contract......meaning that he will still get the full value of the contract but the payout will be altered. If I am correct in my assumption, then I don't have a problem with that.

I understand about getting his brain scrambled.......but you know I have a hard time with sympathy for that because no one is holding a gun to his head FORCING him to play football. He went to college, got a degree (or at least should have), so let him stand with the rest of us HARD-WORKERS who work full-time and don't get paid millions and really work for a living. lol

R_of_G
March 8th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Your point is well taken and while I have no qualm with an owner making money (in theory, he is the one taking the financial risk)......I do have MAJOR problems with people screaming POOR ME while they have their hands firmly ensconced in the proverbial cookie jar. And therefore the owners of the Panthers deserve any media/public outcry they get.

Right. Of course the owners are in it to make money, it's a for-profit business. My problem is that the owners (Richardson in particular) were claiming that they were losing money, then refused to turn over any accounting documents detailing said losses.

Therefore, Their CBA negotiations both before and after the lockout were made entirely in bad faith.

What concerns me is how forthcoming these owners will be with the financial truths when it comes to demanding public funding for new stadiums. The players' union being sold snake oil is one thing, but when it comes to spending even a single dollar of taxpayer money on a stadium, the municipalities involved had better do their due diligence on the actual financial affairs of the teams in their cities.

As to Reavis......and I may be wrong here.....but if Reavis asks for a re-structuring, it's to get more money in his contract.......but when the team asks for a re-structuring, it's to change the pay-out of an existing contract......meaning that he will still get the full value of the contract but the payout will be altered. If I am correct in my assumption, then I don't have a problem with that.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. We know about concepts like "guaranteed money" in contracts, which leads me to believe that the non-guaranteed part is open to increase or decrease as long as both parties sign the new contract.

What I do know is regardless of whether these restructured deals are for less money, or for the same money distributed differently, should a player decide not to take the restructured contract, the team can cut that player and not have to pay them a dime for the years remaining, except any money that was guaranteed.

It's that part that makes it seem to me that from the players' perspective the contracts are not worth the paper they're written on.

Also, thanks for taking the time to put thought into your reply PBP. I didn't intend to start this year's NFL thread trolling on NFL labor/monetary issues (though to be honest, I would gladly discuss that all day.)

I do still like talking actual football too. Curious to see what the Bucs do next week when free agency opens. Their most glaring weakness in 2012 was in the defensive backfield, especially at CB. There are some CBs available that would be an upgrade and once again, the Bucs have money to spend (they currently have the 5th most cap space available).

R_of_G
March 11th, 2013, 05:36 PM
News for SVL and NWBasser... the Seahawks have traded for Minnesota WR Percy Harvin. My initial thought is that with Harvin and Leon Washington, the Hawks are a team I would NEVER punt to. Seriously though, Harvin can be a solid contributor to that offense if his health problems allow him to play a significant number of games.

marnold
March 11th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Health problems and his tendency to suffer from cranial-rectal inversion.

NWBasser
March 12th, 2013, 12:42 PM
News for SVL and NWBasser... the Seahawks have traded for Minnesota WR Percy Harvin. My initial thought is that with Harvin and Leon Washington, the Hawks are a team I would NEVER punt to. Seriously though, Harvin can be a solid contributor to that offense if his health problems allow him to play a significant number of games.

Great news (I think). However, they may let Washington go to keep under the salary cap.

If that's the case, I'll really miss Leon. He's a very dynamic player for sure.

R_of_G
March 12th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Great news (I think). However, they may let Washington go to keep under the salary cap.

If that's the case, I'll really miss Leon. He's a very dynamic player for sure.

Yup, Leon was cut today. Whatever team picks him up gets one of the most versatile and under-appreicated weapons in the league.

NWBasser
March 12th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Yup, Leon was cut today. Whatever team picks him up gets one of the most versatile and under-appreicated weapons in the league.

That's for sure!

He'll be greatly missed here. Definitely an outstanding player.

Now, if the 'hawks could shore up their pass rush that would be very nice.

piebaldpython
March 12th, 2013, 06:58 PM
IGGLES released Nnandi Assomugha today. He was gonna make a ton of money this year. He was a disappointment overall during his 2 years here.

sunvalleylaw
March 12th, 2013, 07:50 PM
It will be interesting to see how it all works out. I hate to lose a productive threat like Washington, but another good receiver would be a good addition. Offensive line needs a little help too. Oh yeah, and now the defensive line and pass rush. Seems to me investing in more depth on the line on both sides of the ball would be a good investment. Less dough than paying for big name stars, and big benefit on the field.

marnold
March 13th, 2013, 01:07 PM
My Lions signed Reggie Bush and Glover Quin today, addressing two of their bigger needs. If Bush can fulfill the role envisioned for Javid Best, this will be a great signing. Leshoure can do the dirty work in the trenches. For me their biggest mistake last year was not coming up with a plan B if Best couldn't recover from his concussions. I wouldn't be surprised if they take Dee Milliner in the draft. Someone in Detroit already joked that if you misspell his name he would be perfect for the Lions: De-Millen-er.

R_of_G
March 13th, 2013, 01:33 PM
I like the Bush signing for Detroit. He seems like the right back for the role.

There are plenty of rumors swirling around potential moves the Bucs may make, but nothing has happened yet and unlike ESPN's Adam Schefter, I don't get paid to perpetuate rumors.

R_of_G
March 14th, 2013, 06:31 AM
The Bucs signed S Dashon Goldson, formerly of the 49ers. If he plays here like he played there, it seems an ideal pairing at that position with last year's top pick Mark Barron.

marnold
March 14th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I can't believe the contracts that the Lions' Gosder Cherilus (5 years/$34 million) and Sammie Lee Hill (3 years/$11.4 million) got from other teams. They were both decent players, to be sure, but wow. Hill was a backup. Of course, the Colts also gave the Packers' Erik Walden 4 years/$16 million so maybe they're just going insane with the checkbook.

R_of_G
March 14th, 2013, 02:29 PM
The Bucs have signed LB Jonathan Casillas, formerly of the Saints, to a one-year deal. The move looks to mark the end of Quincy Black's time with the Bucs. It seems a lateral move talent-wise. I'd like to see additional LBs added.

R_of_G
March 15th, 2013, 12:15 PM
SVL and NWB, not sure if you guys read yet, but the Seahawks signed former Bucs' defensive lineman Michael Bennett. Bennett is someone I'm sad to see the Bucs let go. He can be a very solid piece of a good defensive line rotation. Good pickup for Seattle.

sunvalleylaw
March 15th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Nice! Sorry for the Bucs, but I was hoping for some help on the line. I hope we pick up some offensive line too. I like Wilson's courageous play in the open field, but I would love for him to have the option to stay in the pocket, or at least well protected behind the line, at times.

piebaldpython
March 16th, 2013, 06:07 AM
IGGLES announced yesterday that they would no longer have their summer camp/training season 70 miles away from Philly at bucolic Lehigh University in Bethlehem PA as they have done for many a year. IGGLES feel that they are better served by their vastly superior facilities at the Stadium here in town. They also mentioned that 20 other teams have made similar decisions regarding their training camp sites in recent years. It makes sense and is perfectly logical.

Still.........it's a shame because the training camp injected a certain amount of money into the community though not nearly on the scale of baseball's training camps. They would draw some decent crowds at training camp.

R_of_G
March 24th, 2013, 03:53 PM
The biggest news out of the Bucs this past week at the owner's meetings was owner Malcolm Glazer telling the Tampa Tribune that there was no chance he would consider relocating the Bucs, quashing rumors that have been gaining strength as attendance has struggled.

Glazer sounded like an owner that understands that his team in is in a state that's been hit particularly hard by the recession. Hopefully both the team and the economy will continue to trend upwards.

sunvalleylaw
March 30th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Looks like Matt Flynn is heading to the Raiders. Seems to me like the correct move. It is nice to have a guy like Flynn still in the stable, but that was an awful lot of dough to pay for a backup QB.

Also, Coach Carroll seems to want to move in the direction of a backup more similar in style to Wilson:

Carroll also said he’d like to add a backup quarterback with a similar skill set as Wilson. Possible veterans with the ability to run the read option include Tyler Thigpen, Colt McCoy and Vince Young.

From The Tacoma News Tribune.
Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/03/30/2536206/flynns-days-with-hawks-appear.html#storylink=cpy

R_of_G
March 30th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Looks like Matt Flynn is heading to the Raiders. Seems to me like the correct move. It is nice to have a guy like Flynn still in the stable, but that was an awful lot of dough to pay for a backup QB.

Also, Coach Carroll seems to want to move in the direction of a backup more similar in style to Wilson:

Carroll also said he’d like to add a backup quarterback with a similar skill set as Wilson. Possible veterans with the ability to run the read option include Tyler Thigpen, Colt McCoy and Vince Young.

From The Tacoma News Tribune.
Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/03/30/2536206/flynns-days-with-hawks-appear.html#storylink=cpy

I still consder Vince Young a potential starting prospect. If he can stay in shape and commit to staying engaged, I think he still has a tremendous skill-set and a pretty solid resume of winning NFL games. Personally, I think brings more to the table than some of the other guys that will be starting for NFL teams this season.

sunvalleylaw
March 30th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I still really hope the Seahawks continue to shore up both sides of the line. I would love to see a fairly dominant front offensive line, and see how the strength there could open up the games of the backfield and receivers even more.

R_of_G
April 1st, 2013, 11:26 AM
Flynn to the Raiders is official. Reportedly, Seattle gets back a fifth rounder in 2014 and a conditional pick in 2015. Still better than paying him starter money to carry a clipboard.

R_of_G
April 1st, 2013, 04:55 PM
A few Bucs' signings today.

First they signed RB Brian Leonard (formerly of the Bengals). This adds depth behind Doug Martin and makes it clearer that LeGarrette Blount is on the trading block.

Second, and this one made me very happy though it's not a player guaranteed to even make the roster. On Tuesday they will sign DE George Selvie, most recently of the Jaguars. Though not a consistent player yet in his three years in the NFL, Selvie is a USF graduate, the stud of the defense prior to the arrival of Jason Pierre-Paul. He will have the fans behind him in training camp and the preseason for sure.

R_of_G
April 2nd, 2013, 04:48 PM
A couple more Bucs' signings today.

First is WR Steve Smith. The Steve Smith formerly of the Giants, Eagles and Rams, not the Steve Smith from the Panthers. Still, this Steve Smith is a solid route runner in the slot, and will add nice depth at the position. Plus, he will be working again with his WR coach from the Giants, Steve Sulllivan, now OC for the Bucs.

The second signing is K Nate Kaeding. Not sure I get this one. Connor Barth is a perfectly good kicker and they signed him to a big extension last year. It's not a move to cut Barth and save his salary. The Bucs are still plenty flexible with cap space. Third most to spend last I checked.

sunvalleylaw
April 6th, 2013, 08:05 AM
There was a rumor circulating the internet sports talk sites the last couple days that the Seahawks might be interested in Tebow as a backup QB. I am not buying it. Too much money vs. other prospects out there. Plus, Carroll was critical of the distraction Tebow's arrival caused for his former college QB Sanchez when the Jets brought him over.

BTW, I am going to read up about, and pay attention to the Bucs this year, so I can follow what R_of_G is following. Plus, the Bucs were the other expansion team that came onto the scene the same year as the Seahawks, so it will be interesting from that perspective.

R_of_G
April 6th, 2013, 09:18 AM
There was a rumor circulating the internet sports talk sites the last couple days that the Seahawks might be interested in Tebow as a backup QB. I am not buying it. Too much money vs. other prospects out there. Plus, Carroll was critical of the distraction Tebow's arrival caused for his former college QB Sanchez when the Jets brought him over.

I don't see Carroll or the Seahawks organization going in for that sideshow nonsense. It's entirely possible that Wilson will go through some setbacks in his second season. Many young QBs do, and he overachieved big time for a rookie last year. What he needs this year is an organization and fan-base that will stand behind him and let him play through any growing pains and learn from his mistakes to develop as a franchise QB. Add Tebow to the mix and it's a recipe for a media/fan QB non-troversy that won't do anyone any good.

BTW, I am going to read up about, and pay attention to the Bucs this year, so I can follow what R_of_G is following. Plus, the Bucs were the other expansion team that came onto the scene the same year as the Seahawks, so it will be interesting from that perspective.

Roy Cummings of the Tampa Tribune and Gary Shelton of the Tampa Bay Times both do pretty solid and reliable reporting on the Bucs. Also, Pat Yasinskas at ESPN's NFC South Blog used to be a Bucs' beat reporter for the Trib so he has reliable info on the Bucs as well.

R_of_G
April 19th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Schedules were released yesterday.

Here's the Bucs' schedule.

I suspect SVL/NWB and I will have some fun the week of Nov. 3rd.

Sep. 8 at New York Jets 1 p.m.
Sep. 15 vs. New Orleans Saints 1:05 p.m.
Sep. 22 at New England Patriots 1 p.m/
Sep. 29 vs. Arizona Cardinals 1 p.m.
BYE
Oct. 13 vs. Philadelphia Eagles 1 p.m.
Oct. 20 at Atlanta Falcons 1 p.m.
Oct. 24 vs. Carolina Panthers 8:25 p.m.
Nov. 3 at Seattle Seahawks 1:05 p.m.
Nov. 11 vs. Miami Dolphins 8:40 p.m.
Nov. 17 vs. Atlanta Falcons 1 p.m.
Nov. 24 at Detroit Lions 1 p.m.
Dec. 1 at Carolina Panthers 1 p.m.
Dec. 8 vs. Buffalo Bills 1 p.m.
Dec. 15 vs. San Francisco 49ers 1 p.m.
Dec. 22 at St. Louis Rams 1 p.m.
Dec. 29 at New Orleans Saints 1 p.m.

R_of_G
April 21st, 2013, 04:29 PM
For a couple of months now I have avoided commenting on or even reading too much on any of the Revis speculation until there was actual news. Today there is actual news.

The Bucs have acquired CB Darrelle Revis from the Jets. I almost can't believe I just typed that sentence.

The Jets will receive the Bucs' 2013 1st round pick (#13 overall) and a conditional pick in 2014 (which in all likelihood will be a 3rd round pick). Revis, who was scheduled to be a free agent after this season (prompting the trade to begin with) has agreed to a new deal to remain in Tampa for six years at a total of $96 million.

All of this is contingent upon Revis passing a physical from the Bucs' staff, particularly his surgically repaired ACL.

Needless to say as a Bucs' fan and a recovering Jets' fan, I am thrilled about this trade. If he's healthy, I expect him to have a tremendous impact on this defense.

marnold
April 21st, 2013, 05:19 PM
Talk about high risk/high reward. If Revis comes back at his full ability, it's a good deal for the Bucs. Actually, it's way better than anything the Jets had a right to expect. If Revis is not himself, that's a lot of money and a some high picks to be out.

Another question is this: is any CB, even the best in the league, worth $16 million/per in today's NFL where all the rules favor the offense? I guess it all depends on the details of the contract, especially how much of that money is guaranteed.

Update: According to ESPN, not one red cent of that contract is guaranteed. I'm surprised that Revis' agents would make a deal like that. That certainly eliminates a lot of the risk for the Bucs. The big question is, if Tampa Bay got him to sign a contract like that, why couldn't the Jets when he wanted to stay?

R_of_G
April 21st, 2013, 05:25 PM
Another question is this: is any CB, even the best in the league, worth $16 million/per in today's NFL where all the rules favor the offense? I guess it all depends on the details of the contract, especially how much of that money is guaranteed.

Not a penny of the contract is guaranteed. That to me is the ultimate statement about Darrelle Revis. It's become fashionable among NFL fans to call him greedy. There's nothing greedy about a player with a surgically-repaired knee showing that he'll prove on the field he's worth the money.

It also makes it a bit less risky an investment at least financially. If he's clearly not himself, it only costs them $16 mil for this season. Obviously they'd still lose the picks which is bad.

R_of_G
April 26th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Talk about high risk/high reward.

Wanna revisit high risk/high reward with the Lions' drafting of Ezekiel Ansah last night? :poke

Mike Mayock said of Ansah "in three years he'll be an All-Pro or he'll be on the street." You know I was a big believer in Jason Pierre-Paul having seen him play here at my alma mater. There's no reason to think Ansah can't be coached up to make the transition as well. I'm rooting for him.

Last night was enjoyable to watch as it wasn't as predictable as many recent first rounds have been. Also, the Bucs didn't have a pick last night having traded their pick as part of the Revis deal. Most enjoyable though was that this year I watched the draft on NFL Network instead of ESPN so I could avoid any of Chris Berman's schtick, Adam Schefter's "scoops" and Jon Gruden's "Every Prospect is a First Ballot Hall of Famer" approach to draft coverage.

The Bucs have two picks tonight, the first being the 43rd overall (11th pick in 2nd round). I would be quite pleased to see them take Jonathan Banks (CB, Mississippi State). Even with the addition of Revis, it's a position at which I think the Bucs need more depth. This is a division where they play Drew Brees and Matt Ryan twice. No such thing as too many good DBs for that situation.

That said, at some point today they may well take a pass-rusher to replace Michael Bennett who was last season's team sack leader. The Dominik/Schiano administration has shown it can find solid talent down the draft, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with this time around.

marnold
April 26th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Wanna revisit high risk/high reward with the Lions' drafting of Ezekiel Ansah last night? :poke

No kidding. Figures they get a high draft pick in a draft which is deep but light at the top end. They wanted one of the OTs, but they were gone. I read they tried to trade down, but they couldn't get anyone to bite. I learned years ago that I know nothing about the draft so it doesn't pay to be too happy or too sad. With Suh and Fairley the stress will not be on him. Obviously he's a physical specimen but who knows if he's a workout warrior or not.

R_of_G
April 26th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Obviously he's a physical specimen but who knows if he's a workout warrior or not.

My understanding is that he's more like Jason Pierre-Paul, someone who is freakishly athletic but relatively new to the sport of football than a workout warrior like Vernon Gholston who looks fantastic in the gym or the practice field but can't play a lick of football come game time. Ansah was impressive in the Senior Bowl against offensive linemen of the quality he will see in the pros.

Like you said, with the other components of the Lions' defensive line he won't be under as much pressure to deliver instantly.

marnold
April 26th, 2013, 01:13 PM
If he gets close to JPP, I'd be more than happy.

R_of_G
April 26th, 2013, 01:53 PM
If he gets close to JPP, I'd be more than happy.

Certainly the best pro USF has produced to date.

R_of_G
April 26th, 2013, 05:31 PM
The Bucs have two picks tonight, the first being the 43rd overall (11th pick in 2nd round). I would be quite pleased to see them take Jonathan Banks (CB, Mississippi State). Even with the addition of Revis, it's a position at which I think the Bucs need more depth. This is a division where they play Drew Brees and Matt Ryan twice. No such thing as too many good DBs for that situation.

And with the 43rd pick the Bucs did take Banks. I'm very happy.

R_of_G
April 27th, 2013, 07:52 AM
And with their other pick last night (#73 overall) the Bucs selected Mike Glennon (QB-NCSt).

I'm not sure how to feel about that pick. I'm not entirely against the idea of having a developmental QB in the system. I watched very little ACC ball last season and know virtually nothing about Glennon except that he's very tall (6'7"). There were at least three or four QBs ahead of him on most prospect rating charts I'd seen, but that means almost nothing.

Nothing against the kid but ultimately I still hope Josh Freeman continues to develop into the franchise QB I believe he can be. Then I won't have to learn anything about Glennon except that he's the really tall dude with the clipboard.

sunvalleylaw
April 27th, 2013, 03:55 PM
I have been watching the Seahawks picks, and have generally, on the surface, been pleased. Will look a little closer and report back on what I think upon further analysis later this weekend.

R_of_G
April 27th, 2013, 05:02 PM
I'm pleased overall with the Bucs' draft. Time will tell whether or not these guys make good pros, but the team addressed the positions I thought were in need of adding depth and competition. Now I put my hopes in the coaching staff to prepare these guys for the transition and the players themselves to put in the work.

One note on another fretters' team... I thought the Eagles had a pretty strong draft, though that will be one circus-like QB situation to watch unfold. Besides, Chip Kelly's offense may be the second chance Vick needs to get the starting role back but new offense or not, nobody is delusional enough to think Vick is playing 16 games. They need a strong backup.

piebaldpython
April 29th, 2013, 04:39 PM
One note on another fretters' team... I thought the Eagles had a pretty strong draft, though that will be one circus-like QB situation to watch unfold. Besides, Chip Kelly's offense may be the second chance Vick needs to get the starting role back but new offense or not, nobody is delusional enough to think Vick is playing 16 games. They need a strong backup.

hehe.....We got a big OT from Oklahoma in the first round...that made sense. Why they took QB Barkley from USC is beyond me? We have Vick and Foules and some other guy. What we need is big OL guys, because without them, we might go through a QB a week. We're trying to give Chip Kelly some slack.......but a pick like Barkley gets us to wonderin'....if he's as dopey as the guy he replaced. Speaking of Andy Reid, the Iggles play the Chiefs in the 3rd week of the season.

I admit that I don't follow the draft and all of that stuff.....what I find out is just by chance.

R_of_G
April 29th, 2013, 05:09 PM
hehe.....We got a big OT from Oklahoma in the first round...that made sense. Why they took QB Barkley from USC is beyond me? We have Vick and Foules and some other guy. What we need is big OL guys, because without them, we might go through a QB a week. We're trying to give Chip Kelly some slack.......but a pick like Barkley gets us to wonderin'....if he's as dopey as the guy he replaced. Speaking of Andy Reid, the Iggles play the Chiefs in the 3rd week of the season.

I admit that I don't follow the draft and all of that stuff.....what I find out is just by chance.

On the contrary, the Barkley pick should show you that Kelly knows what he's doing. He knows very well Vick is not at all durable and not getting any younger. Kelly didn't draft Foles so there's no reason to expect him to have any faith in him at all. Barkley on the other hand is someone Kelly recruited for Oregon and then faced for four years. With a new coach and offense, the time to start a developmental QB is now. They weren't going to find a better one than Barkley with that pick. Of all the QB picks in this draft, that was one of the few that actually made sense.

piebaldpython
April 30th, 2013, 09:05 AM
On the contrary, the Barkley pick should show you that Kelly knows what he's doing. He knows very well Vick is not at all durable and not getting any younger. Kelly didn't draft Foles so there's no reason to expect him to have any faith in him at all. Barkley on the other hand is someone Kelly recruited for Oregon and then faced for four years. With a new coach and offense, the time to start a developmental QB is now. They weren't going to find a better one than Barkley with that pick. Of all the QB picks in this draft, that was one of the few that actually made sense.

OK....I see your point here....maybe he does know what he's doing. lol That said, Foules performed pretty well last season under pressure in the NFL. So at the very least he's battle-tested and ought to be given an edge over Barkley at the outset.

R_of_G
April 30th, 2013, 10:19 AM
That said, Foules performed pretty well last season under pressure in the NFL. So at the very least he's battle-tested and ought to be given an edge over Barkley at the outset.

He performed pretty well in someone else's offense which pretty much levels the field again between he and Barkley. Unless they already plan on trading Foles (also not the worst idea in the world to do now while he has value) I suspect Kelly will give him a fair look in training camp to see exactly what they have in him.

Overall, I just think it's wise that the Eagles look to the post-Vick era sooner rather than later. He can barely sustain consistency for 12 games a season. It shows the team is thinking long term.

R_of_G
May 10th, 2013, 09:09 AM
NOTE: We don't have to (nor should we probably) discuss the political aspects of this news item, but its existence is newsworthy with respect to the NFL (and certainly to my team.)

Yesterday, Senator John McCain introduced a bill dealing with "bundling" of cable broadcast services and such. In that bill is a provision that would ban television blackouts of professional sporting events which take place in stadiums that were built with public funding (federal, state, or local). As the Bucs are frequent victims of the blackout policy, and Raymond James Stadium was built primarily on funding from a one cent tax initiative, this story is one to follow for me.

piebaldpython
May 10th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Without knowing anything about this stuff........it seems like a no-brainer of a bill and I hope it passes. I always hated that blackout crap.

R_of_G
May 10th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Without knowing anything about this stuff........it seems like a no-brainer of a bill and I hope it passes. I always hated that blackout crap.

Alas, the blackout ban part is but one minor sub-section of the overall bill (that happens to be of interest to NFL fans). I'm first reading up now on the bulk of the proposed legislation to see what it's actually all about and what its chances are for passage. Of course, even if it should become law, there's no saying what the NFL legal department will do to challenge its application.

R_of_G
June 4th, 2013, 08:13 AM
As you've probably read or heard by now, NFL legend Deacon Jones passed away yesterday.

I'm too young to have seen Jones play in his time, in fact, my first memory of Deacon Jones was when he guested on The Brady Bunch and told Peter that he wasn't a canary for being in the Glee Club. Then my dad explained to me who Deacon Jones was.

The film speaks for itself (though it speaks far better with the sound off because the music seems more suited for a training sequence in a Jean Claude Van Damme movie).

WsZMbleuMNY

marnold
June 4th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I'm just barely old enough to remember him playing. One of the best ever.

piebaldpython
June 4th, 2013, 08:59 AM
I remember him seeing him play on TV lots of times in the 60s-early 70s. He was a great player, super quick for his size and he had this Head Slap move that he used very effectively on offensive linemen. IIRC, he would slap the helmet right at the ear hole and that would serve to disorient the opponent.

R_of_G
June 4th, 2013, 10:26 AM
I remember him seeing him play on TV lots of times in the 60s-early 70s. He was a great player, super quick for his size and he had this Head Slap move that he used very effectively on offensive linemen. IIRC, he would slap the helmet right at the ear hole and that would serve to disorient the opponent.

Watching some of that tape, I'm surprised the head slap didn't separate the offensive linemen's heads from their shoulders.

piebaldpython
June 4th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Yeah, well now you can see why that move was eventually banned as being too dangerous. The "pressure" generated by a forceful head slap over the earhole of the helmet could be damaging. I think the medical community did testing on just that issue and that in a large part is what got the move banned.

sunvalleylaw
June 4th, 2013, 01:28 PM
I remember that Brady Bunch episode. I was a little kid at the time, but I watched them in primetime. Also remember Namath being on. I don't recall actually watching him play, though I am sure I did watch a game at some point with my Dad or Grandfather.

R_of_G
June 4th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Yeah, well now you can see why that move was eventually banned as being too dangerous. The "pressure" generated by a forceful head slap over the earhole of the helmet could be damaging. I think the medical community did testing on just that issue and that in a large part is what got the move banned.

Oh I can definitely see why they banned it. I'm still surprised some of those guys got back up.

I remember that Brady Bunch episode. I was a little kid at the time, but I watched them in primetime. Also remember Namath being on.

Which of course all led to this very valuable lesson about vapor lock...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvi8oi5f4J1qjeopio1_500.png

I also remember Don Drysdale dropping by the Brady home to give someone advice on how to pitch (Greg maybe?) It sure was nice of those LA-based athletes to show up and boost the Brady kids' confidence.

R_of_G
June 4th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Temporarily lifted my "No ESPN except for live sports" ban to see how NFL Live was remembering Deacon Jones and I got the perfect reminder of why I stopped watching ESPN except for live sports.

They were discussing the question of "most feared pass rusher" in the game today. Now, ignore for just a second how meaningless that question is to begin with, and let's pretend there actually is a way to uniformly quantify and measure fear.

The participants in the discussion were Cris Carter, Darren Woodson and Jason Taylor. Anyone see the problem I have yet?

If you said "none of them played QB or offensive line" you're correct.

I'm not sure why ESPN thinks a WR, a safety and a defensive end make for an authoritative panel on the subject. Why not ask a panel of kickers, punters and long snappers who's the toughest slot receiver to cover?

Tig
June 10th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Tim Tebow to sign with New England Patriots, play QB
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000210586/article/tim-tebow-to-new-england-patriots

sunvalleylaw
June 10th, 2013, 04:52 PM
I am pretty excited about how the Seahawks seem to be shaping up. I am just going to ignore all the Tebow noise. SF will be extremely tough in the Seahawks division. It will be interesting to see how it all goes.

R_of_G
June 11th, 2013, 04:37 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000210586/article/tim-tebow-to-new-england-patriots

You think we'll hear much from his true believers demanding that he be immediately installed as the starter this time around? Before you say no, remember, this is the same crowd that insisted they knew more about the NFL QB position than John Elway.

piebaldpython
June 11th, 2013, 06:11 AM

Hmmmmmm.......an interesting move on a few fronts:
1 Publicity: Whomever signs Tebow gets automatic publicity and if that gets people talking about your team and selling more swag, etc......then that isn't a bad thing for the team in so far as the team is concerned.

2 Tebow has a good work ethic and that plays very well in New England.....which of course generates publicity. It doesn't matter that his work ethic revolves mainly around him doing "what he thinks" he needs to do instead of say "what he needs to do to be a pro long-term QB".

3 They might even keep him around because he can a bunch of things decently......all of the backfield positions.......maybe a little TE.......special teams because he fits in with teammates (working class grunts) and probably has the mindset for special teams. And so, he becomes a utility player in case guys get banged up.

All in all a no-lose move by the Pats.

R_of_G
June 11th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Hmmmmmm.......an interesting move on a few fronts:
1 Publicity: Whomever signs Tebow gets automatic publicity and if that gets people talking about your team and selling more swag, etc......then that isn't a bad thing for the team in so far as the team is concerned.

So far, each team he's gone to has been the worse for the attention generated. Whether or not it's his fault, he is a divisive presence in locker rooms where the other 52 guys don't want to constantly be asked questions about him, or hear from the media how much harder he works than they do.

3 They might even keep him around because he can a bunch of things decently......all of the backfield positions.......maybe a little TE.......special teams because he fits in with teammates (working class grunts) and probably has the mindset for special teams. And so, he becomes a utility player in case guys get banged up.

Mind you, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I just hear that line of argument a lot that "Tebow is valuable because he can do a bunch of things."

Credit where due, he's an excellent short yardage running back, but other than that, I've yet to see what else he can do that a dozen undrafted free agents can't do better and cheaper.

People always talk about him being a possible TE. Has he ever caught a pass? Can he run routes? Can he pass protect? Can he run block? Are there not plenty of hardworking guys out there that have done those things in high school and college and don't have to first learn a new position at age 27?

The Jets tried him in special teams situations. He was a non-factor, other than for the tv guys to point out that he was out there. There are plenty of working class guys that work hard every practice that actually have special teams experience that would be a better roster move for any team.

He's not even there to be the backup QB. Obviously there's no real QB controversy for the starting job with Brady there, but anyone that thinks Tebow will even get a sniff at #2 is delusional. Unless Ryan Mallet suffers a catastrophic injury in camp, Tebow is locked in at #3 at best. He's already proven he's not an NFL QB.

I simply don't understand the move from a football perspective.

piebaldpython
June 11th, 2013, 07:46 AM
So far, each team he's gone to has been the worse for the attention generated. Whether or not it's his fault, he is a divisive presence in locker rooms where the other 52 guys don't want to constantly be asked questions about him, or hear from the media how much harder he works than they do.

Exactly........but he is a lightning-rod for publicity and in a sense for taking pressure off the team because up in NE, if you haven't won the SB......it's what wrong with you? So, if the media gets all dopey about Tebow, it's better to be asked "what you do you think of the Tebow signing?" than to be asked "so are you gonna win it all this year?"

So, Tebow is more of a diversion than anything else.

R_of_G
June 11th, 2013, 07:58 AM
I see your point, but pretty much everything I've read/heard from both Denver and the Jets is that the publicity he brings to a team is unappreciated by the guys in the locker room.

Besides, it's mostly the national media and the tag-along Tebow faithful that create the diversion. The local Boston sports reporters are too savvy to let anyone off the hook about championship expectations in the pitiful AFC East just because the team signed a really peppy third string QB.

I also find it hard to believe a Belichick-led team is doing anything for publicity. He either sees some potential to use him for football or he wouldn't be there. I'm curious to see what that is and how it works out.

sunvalleylaw
June 13th, 2013, 07:45 AM
I have to comment about how while I very much enjoy the football (on the field) rivalry between the 49'ers and the Seahawks, I find the interchange between the two coaches very distasteful. I do not like the public personality of Jim Harbaugh. From his facial expressions and demeanor on the sideline to his apparent need to comment on his opponents, I do not enjoy him. Coach Pete is not perfect in that regard I am sure, but I find him less arrogant appearing. Also, I have decided not to look at the comment section of any article, particularly an article about the Seahawks vs. 49'ers. The fans on both sides are just ridiculous. I suppose it is another side effect of the internet.

The prompting for this post is Harbaugh's latest comments about the PED test failures of the Seahawks. Certainly not the team's finest hour, and the more veteran players and the coach are addressing it. But Harbaugh's choice to comment publicly in what to me is a holier than thou, condescending manner just fuels the flames of these fan wars, and to me, is unseemly. Anyway, I look forward to the contest on the field.

R_of_G, you have an interest in the 49'ers as I recall. Can you help me understand Harbaugh, and maybe the history between him and Carroll a little?

R_of_G
June 13th, 2013, 08:48 AM
R_of_G, you have an interest in the 49'ers as I recall. Can you help me understand Harbaugh, and maybe the history between him and Carroll a little?

My only interest in the 49ers stems from enjoying watching them play defense. Honestly, I don't know what animosity exists between Harbaugh and Carroll other than being coaches in the same division, and previously in the same college conference.

I do agree with you about Harbaugh's coming off as self-righteous with his PED comments. The league is too big to think this is a situation that will never affect your team.

Also, I have decided not to look at the comment section of any article, particularly an article about the Seahawks vs. 49'ers. The fans on both sides are just ridiculous. I suppose it is another side effect of the internet.

In part it's the internet troll culture, but with sports, it was there before the internet with sports-talk radio. The combination of those two phenomenon destroyed much of sports journalism in America.

sunvalleylaw
June 13th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the response. I had gotten the idea you were a bit of a 49'ers fan for some reason. They are a good team for sure.

I do think Harbaugh and Carroll have Pac 10 coaching history that is also in play. I am pretty confident Coach Carroll will keep his mind on what is going on in Seattle and not worry too much about what Harbaugh is saying. I do think Harbaugh sets himself up for failure when he talks that way. I don't think any coach dare say that his team is completely clean. There is too much pressure, and too many opportunities for young athletes to be tempted into trying to get a little edge to be overconfident in that regard.

Regarding sports talk radio, and the internet discussions, I have never listened regularly. I have always been turned off by it. I prefer the written analysis of the pretty decent sports writers at The Tacoma News Tribune, and any other decent page I can find. Though finding decent coverage is getting hard as you say. I was quite surprised, however, by the vitriol in the comments after even good and measured sports articles. Now I choose just not to scroll down there.

R_of_G
June 13th, 2013, 11:56 AM
I prefer the written analysis of the pretty decent sports writers at The Tacoma News Tribune, and any other decent page I can find.

No doubt, there's still good sports writing going by beat writers at the major papers. Of course, newspaper budgets are being constantly slashed, but that's another issue.

piebaldpython
June 26th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Just announced that Patriots TE Aaron Hernandez was arrested at his home this morning in connection with a murder this weekend. He was released by the Patriots 2 hours later.

R_of_G
June 26th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Interesting story as to whether or not the Patriots are still on the hook for as-yet unpaid guaranteed money in Hernandez's contract.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitner/2013/06/26/new-england-patriots-justify-release-of-aaron-hernandez-as-the-right-thing-to-do/

piebaldpython
June 26th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Interesting story as to whether or not the Patriots are still on the hook for as-yet unpaid guaranteed money in Hernandez's contract.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitner/2013/06/26/new-england-patriots-justify-release-of-aaron-hernandez-as-the-right-thing-to-do/

OMG........I just figured it was a foregone conclusion that he was out of any future "salary" payments from the Pats under one of those "moral" clauses. Maybe he can come up with a "Ray Lewis" type of defense of his action(s). Good grief.

R_of_G
June 26th, 2013, 02:41 PM
OMG........I just figured it was a foregone conclusion that he was out of any future "salary" payments from the Pats under one of those "moral" clauses. Maybe he can come up with a "Ray Lewis" type of defense of his action(s). Good grief.

The problem (as I understand it) is that the Patriots didn't put in the clauses that are typically used by teams in these situations.

piebaldpython
June 27th, 2013, 09:03 AM
The problem (as I understand it) is that the Patriots didn't put in the clauses that are typically used by teams in these situations.

How friggin' stupid is that? lol I guess they figured that he didn't have the "killer instinct" in him. I hope the victim's family takes him for EVERY cent that he has.

R_of_G
June 27th, 2013, 10:31 AM
I hope the victim's family takes him for EVERY cent that he has.

If he's found guilty, I agree that the victim's family deserves every penny he has left, but with the legal team he'll have for his criminal trial, how many pennies will he have left?

R_of_G
June 27th, 2013, 10:47 AM
This is what happens when you check the news after you post.

The Hernandez story looks like it may be getting even worse. According to the Boston Globe, police are also investigating Hernandez's role in a 2012 double murder.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/06/27/former-patriots-player-aaron-hernandez-probed-two-more-murders-law-enforcement-officials-say/0GPNwDdsU4nguqnB2LADYM/story.html

marnold
June 27th, 2013, 01:49 PM
This is what happens when you check the news after you post.

The Hernandez story looks like it may be getting even worse. According to the Boston Globe, police are also investigating Hernandez's role in a 2012 double murder.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/06/27/former-patriots-player-aaron-hernandez-probed-two-more-murders-law-enforcement-officials-say/0GPNwDdsU4nguqnB2LADYM/story.html

I saw that too. I don't like to judge things from afar, but it's not looking good for him. I'll never understand what prompts people to throw their lives away because they feel disrespected.

piebaldpython
June 27th, 2013, 01:59 PM
I saw that too. I don't like to judge things from afar, but it's not looking good for him. I'll never understand what prompts people to throw their lives away because they feel disrespected.

Star athletes and probably just STARS in general sometimes act as though they have an "aura of invincibility" around them and that anything they do can be explained/reasoned/ignored away because of who they are. It's narcissism taken to the extreme.

R_of_G
June 27th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I'll never understand what prompts people to throw their lives away because they feel disrespected.

I'll see that and raise you this, I'll never understand what prompts people to take someone else's life for pretty much any reason other than self-defense.

piebaldpython
June 27th, 2013, 03:19 PM
I'll see that and raise you this, I'll never understand what prompts people to take someone else's life for pretty much any reason other than self-defense.

The illusion of power and domination.......it goes back to the beginning of time when one group of people, or one person, dominated another. It's control....it's because "they just can".....they're the head muckety-muck and impervious to persecution because they're on top of the scrap heap. Some people just have that need to dominate and keep others under their thumb and because those people know things that maybe they could squeal about, then they become expendable.

Twisted and sick for sure......but it is what it is.

sunvalleylaw
June 27th, 2013, 03:30 PM
While knowing nothing about the evidence in the case, the news sure does not make things look good. I wonder how much steroid use factors in to poor decision making. Hard to say, as there may be lots of reasons for the incorrect thinking in this case.

poodlesrule
June 27th, 2013, 04:50 PM
The good sources of local news indicate that there is video evidence throughout the whole evening, with almost no gap, including street cameras in the victim's neighborhood, and of course AH's home security system
Street cameras in Boston, huh..??!? Coincidence, George Orwell's birthday was two or three days ago.

Too bad that the young lad did not see that associating with characters like that was not safe....

R_of_G
July 20th, 2013, 06:51 AM
The Bucs traded CB Eric Wright to the 49ers. It appears that first-round pick Jonathan Banks will be the second starter. It also suggests that with camp opening this week, they're pretty confident about Revis' health.

R_of_G
July 25th, 2013, 11:53 AM
To update that previous post, that trade was voided upon Wright failing his physical for the 49ers, so instead he was released by the Bucs. Either way, it suggests the Bucs are either confident Banks will be a better pro than Wright or they know that by the end of training camp there are always veterans available that could offer at least as much value as Wright.

piebaldpython
July 27th, 2013, 08:37 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-07-26/49ers-cornerback-tarell-brown-loses-2-million-for-skipping-offseason-work?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl22%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D350169

lolol I guess he did fire his agent! Holy crap.......he could have picked up an easy 2 mil just by going to scheduled offseason team workouts......as stipulated in his contract. The agent deserves to be fired....what a schmuck.

Funny thing is, Tarell Brown wants to sit down with coach Jim Harbaugh and see if there's anyway he can get some of that money. I hope they don't give him a red cent. lol

R_of_G
July 27th, 2013, 04:26 PM
The agent deserves to be fired....what a schmuck.

No kidding. If that were my client I'd have been there to wake him up and drive him to the workouts myself to make sure I got my agent's cut of that 2 million.

piebaldpython
July 28th, 2013, 09:36 PM
WR Jeremy Maclin of the IGGLES out for the season with a torn ACL.

sunvalleylaw
July 29th, 2013, 10:30 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-07-26/49ers-cornerback-tarell-brown-loses-2-million-for-skipping-offseason-work?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl22%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D350169

lolol I guess he did fire his agent! Holy crap.......he could have picked up an easy 2 mil just by going to scheduled offseason team workouts......as stipulated in his contract. The agent deserves to be fired....what a schmuck.

Funny thing is, Tarell Brown wants to sit down with coach Jim Harbaugh and see if there's anyway he can get some of that money. I hope they don't give him a red cent. lol

Bummer for him. But I am going to resist his request to "pray for him" over getting the money. I think there are higher priority matters requiring prayer.

On a positive note, I just got to attend my first game ever at Century Link in Seattle, for a Seattle Sounders game! What a great facility! I hope to make a Seahawks game there sometime. I am a bit out of it right now on the Seahawks news and football news in general other than the bigger stories being posted here. But it is getting close!

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/555468_10151721008832086_1258225801_n_zps13088e86. jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/994875_10151721007772086_1216368389_n_zpsddf4959b. jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/1012712_10151721008897086_1737075755_n_zpsd5bf69f0 .jpg

NWBasser
July 29th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Oh rats Steve, you should have told me you coming to town! We could have met for beers.

For the Seahawks, all I seem to see are stories about them being possibly the strongest team in the league. Lots of hype on them.

I try to ignore all that since I don't want to set my expectations too high. I'd rather focus on enjoying one game at a time.

I do have to agree that the NFC West is shaping up to be the toughest division. The Rams and the 49'ers are going to be hard to beat. Not worried about the Cardinals in the least.

R_of_G
July 29th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Bummer for him. But I am going to resist his request to "pray for him" over getting the money. I think there are higher priority matters requiring prayer.

I'm more put off that he feels anyone of us should be concerned for his financial well-being at all, through prayer or otherwise.

You guys know that I am far from being one of those people that resents professional athletes for the money they make. The market is what it is and if someone is willing to pay these guys that kind of money then they should take every last penny.

That said, it is the height of audacity to suggest that I should be even remotely concerned that this young man will only make $950,000 this year, more than I will make the rest of my life.

R_of_G
July 31st, 2013, 07:37 AM
I read that WR Percy Harvin will have surgery to fix an injured hip. 3-4 months out at least. That's a bummer for the Seahawks, though they still have plenty of other weapons on offense.

marnold
July 31st, 2013, 07:55 AM
How did we know that something weird would happen with Harvin? Oh, yeah, it always does. Every Vikings fan is nodding their head right now.

R_of_G
July 31st, 2013, 08:32 AM
How did we know that something weird would happen with Harvin? Oh, yeah, it always does. Every Vikings fan is nodding their head right now.

Every Vikings' fan thinks suffering from debilitating migraine headaches is weird? Not a particularly enlightened bunch I suppose. I don't recall any other injuries or odd things happening to him.

NWBasser
July 31st, 2013, 10:19 AM
I read that WR Percy Harvin will have surgery to fix an injured hip. 3-4 months out at least. That's a bummer for the Seahawks, though they still have plenty of other weapons on offense.

Yeah, that really stinks. However, we did pretty well offensively last season without Harvin and with some nice additions to the defense I think we'll do fine until he starts.

Without a high-cost quarterback (for now anyway), the Seahawks can put that money into other much-needed positions and do quite well. I think the NFC West will be very exciting this season.

marnold
July 31st, 2013, 12:13 PM
Every Vikings' fan thinks suffering from debilitating migraine headaches is weird? Not a particularly enlightened bunch I suppose. I don't recall any other injuries or odd things happening to him.

Seriously? That's the conclusion you jumped to?

No, clearly you aren't an NFC North fan. Harvin is forever surrounded by drama of one form or another.

Two quotes from ESPN's NFC North blogger on Twitter yesterday sum it up perfectly:

I miss PercyWorld and its inhabitant

Could anyone have known Percy Harvin would need hip surgery? No. Could anyone predict something odd would happen around him? 100 pct yes.

R_of_G
July 31st, 2013, 01:01 PM
Seriously? That's the conclusion you jumped to?

No, clearly you aren't an NFC North fan. Harvin is forever surrounded by drama of one form or another.

Two quotes from ESPN's NFC North blogger on Twitter yesterday sum it up perfectly:

I miss PercyWorld and its inhabitant

Could anyone have known Percy Harvin would need hip surgery? No. Could anyone predict something odd would happen around him? 100 pct yes.

I have no clue what those quotes are supposed to exemplify other than that I now know at least two NFC North fans that think it's odd when a football player gets hurt, or somehow thinks a player that's hurt more than once is up to some kind of weirdness.

Also, for credibility's sake, let's not go quoting ESPN bloggers. They're only slightly more credible than ESPN's on-air "talent."

marnold
July 31st, 2013, 03:10 PM
Look at the man's career:
Set aside the fact that he is oft-injured, migraines or otherwise. That is not relevant to this discussion.

He hasn't been able to get along with either coach that he had with the Vikes. I can almost understand Childress, although that still doesn't excuse flinging a weight at him in the weight room. He somehow managed to get into screaming fits with Leslie Frazier, despite being possibly the most low-key coach in the NFL.

He demanded a trade before the season last year without saying why other than he wasn't "happy." Later he acted as if the request was never made. He would just not show up for practices without explanation. Sometimes he would say it was the migraines, but sometimes not. He fought with teammates. Then go back to Florida where he also fought with his position coach and was generally viewed as enough of an attitude problem that NFL teams shied away from him.

I understand perfectly well that receivers in particular tend to be head cases. If you can play, someone will sign you. There is no doubt Harvin is immensely talented. But if you are a head case that has a problem staying on the field, what value do you really have?

So please, spare me the "when a football player gets hurt, or somehow thinks a player that's hurt more than once is up to some kind of weirdness." Harvin has a well-deserved reputation. Just because you weren't aware of it doesn't make it untrue. As a Lions fan I almost wish he was still on the Vikings. He seemed to cause at least as much trouble for his own team as he did for my team's defense.

By the way "Percy World" was an invention of the Twin Cities' media, not ESPN.

For more fun about his career at Florida, search for his name in this Sporting News article http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-04-09/urban-meyer-florida-ohio-state-ncaa-violation-recruiting-drugs-program-will-musc

NWBasser
August 1st, 2013, 09:52 AM
I'm starting to agree with Marnold about Percy Harvin. I don't want such problematic players on MY team!

The timing of his surgery seems very suspect. Why didn't he get the surgery months ago rather than waiting until the start of the preseason? Was his hip problem just discovered?

NWBasser
August 1st, 2013, 12:01 PM
Once again, Forbes has named Seattle the most-miserable city for sports.

Our basketball team went to Oklahoma, our baseball team has been "rebuilding" for the last 10 years with absolutely no improvements in sight, and the Seahawks got screwed on the Superbowl.:(

The good news is that the Seahawks are on an up-swing and we now have a major-league soccer team that's pretty good.

sunvalleylaw
August 9th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Couldn't tell much from the game against the Chargers last night, other than the Seahawks look deep vs. the struggling Chargers, but it was fun to watch! T-Jack, Williams, Michael and Lotulelei were fun to watch, among others. Great to see Husky J. Kearse pull in the TD too. I am not going to jump on the "Seahawks are the team to beat" bandwagon as they have a lot to prove, and the Chargers were hardly a test. But they do look deep against a weaker team that has lost a lot of personnel. It remains to be seen how these young players rise to the occasion against the likes of the Falcons and the 49'ers, etc.

Seeing as the Broncos are rated so high, and just dusted the 49'ers, they should be a better test next week. Buckle up Seahawks!

sunvalleylaw
September 16th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Boy, that Seahawks/49'ers game was a defensive slugfest! Good thing Lynch had a great night, and that the D had SF shut down. Lots of penalties on both sides. I wonder if the rivalry throws off the mental concentration sometimes. Seahawks were missing a few guys at the start of the game, then were missing Okung most of the game, which made blocking Smith very challenging. What a game!

Tig
September 16th, 2013, 07:06 AM
I watched the first half, and it was quite the battle. My ears hurt from thousands of miles away!

There were several good, close games yesterday. The Texans looked terrible for the most part, but managed an OT win. They got lucky while playing way below their capability, kinda' like the Saints.

Glacies
September 16th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Giants got trounced. Eli looked lost.

Broncos are the real deal.

sunvalleylaw
September 16th, 2013, 08:26 AM
I watched the first half, and it was quite the battle. My ears hurt from thousands of miles away!

There were several good, close games yesterday. The Texans looked terrible for the most part, but managed an OT win. They got lucky while playing way below their capability, kinda' like the Saints.

Yeah, in the second half, Mr. Lynch started battling out more yards and he and the front line started wearing into the 9'ers D a bit more, then he got some bigger runs. I was surprised and pleased at how well the secondary lassoed the 9'er receivers, but was really surprised that Gore was so absolutely silent. His QB out ran him handily. I remember last year when people started noticing the Seahawks and comparing them with the 49'ers that there was talk of Gore being the superior back by some, though others disagreed. Lynch ground out more last night. And the way he ran, he earned it. What a tough back!

piebaldpython
September 16th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Great game last nite. As predicted, the IGGLES will be involved in shootouts all year. However, new coach....New Fat Guy coach....same ineptitude to manage the clock as it's winding down to the 2 minute warning!!! Really? Seriously? It's not rocket science but come one coach, THINK. UGH

marnold
September 22nd, 2013, 03:01 PM
Ahhhh, my Lions ended their 0-21 record at the nation's capital by beating the Redskins. Kind of nice to see someone else nailed by the Calvin Johnson rule other than Calvin Johnson. Now that one streak is over, I'd like to see them end another streak against a certain green and gold team in a couple of weeks. Naturally, the Packers will be coming off a bye.

Tig
September 22nd, 2013, 05:16 PM
Yep, that was cool. I like seeing them improve like this.

Seattle is another team to watch, but that's kinda' obvious.

SF is not playing at their potential, almost like the pathetic Texans. Oh, the humanity! :spank

sunvalleylaw
September 22nd, 2013, 10:38 PM
SVL and NWB, not sure if you guys read yet, but the Seahawks signed former Bucs' defensive lineman Michael Bennett. Bennett is someone I'm sad to see the Bucs let go. He can be a very solid piece of a good defensive line rotation. Good pickup for Seattle.

Yeah, Bennet looks to be fitting in just fine. A good game for the Seahawks. Got what they needed to done against a hapless opponent. The offense got to tool up some before the second stringers were sent in to get some time. Not much else to report. A nice start to the season!

Glacies
September 23rd, 2013, 05:42 AM
I'm not sure if the Giants understand they need to win a game. 0-3 right now. 38-zip to the Panthers. I love Cam Newton, but c'mon!

sunvalleylaw
September 23rd, 2013, 10:06 AM
Ran across this, in the style of The Onion. Pretty funny!

http://profootballmock.com/jim-harbaugh-blames-aldon-smith-arrest-seahawks-crowd-noise/

Now, I hope for the best for Mr. Smith. Seems a good player who needs some help. Also, Coach Harbaugh did not blame the crowd in the post game remarks I watched and was as professional as could be. Still, pretty funny.

piebaldpython
September 23rd, 2013, 11:57 AM
Hard to believe that there are 2 teams with worse records than the IGGLES in the NFL LEAST. Glad to see the Giants get Schneidered against the Panthers.