PDA

View Full Version : Forum vs Blog

cebreez
March 1st, 2013, 08:21 PM
Okay so I know I'm getting old but I do remember being here on the forefront of internet technology. Was a founding member of one of the first iirc chat rooms. Traded files on the bbs. Was on the internet long before America Online. Ran a website building company for a brief stint. Even had online ordering for an art supply store I owned in the early days of e-stores that I totally built myself including Microsoft Access Database integration.

BUT would someone kindly explain to me the difference between a "Forum" and a "Blog". :confused:

marnold
March 1st, 2013, 09:02 PM
A forum is one more than a threeum. A blog is a type of fish.

But seriously folks . . . I can see some similarities between the two, especially since most blogs have some method for feedback. Basically a blog is going to be something where one person writes about whatever subject strikes their fancy. Others can comment on it. In a forum, anyone can post about any topic (within forum rules, anyway) and anyone can respond.

Tig
March 1st, 2013, 09:33 PM
Ah, BBS's and iirc. Those were the days... May they rest in peace with US Robotics Sportster modems, 20 MB hard drives, AST Sixpack memory expansion boards, and the 5 1/2 inch floppy! :D

"Blog" is short for web log. I see them to be mostly a person's ongoing account of events and photos, etc. A forum is more of a gathering of people with like interests posting and interacting with each other. Like a chat room where everything posted is carved in virtual stone.

cebreez
March 1st, 2013, 09:42 PM
Ah, BBS's and iirc. Those were the days... May they rest in peace with US Robotics Sportster modems, 20 MB hard drives, AST Sixpack memory expansion boards, and the 5 1/2 inch floppy! :D

"Blog" is short for web log. I see them to be mostly a person's ongoing account of events and photos, etc. A forum is more of a gathering of people with like interests posting and interacting with each other. Like a chat room where everything posted is carved in virtual stone.

Thank you so much marnold but Tig that actually made a lot of sense. So if we were to be doing a project such as a guitar amp or pedal and wanted to chart our progress then a blog would be the better choice... right?

Ah, BBS's and iirc. Those were the days... May they rest in peace with US Robotics Sportster modems, 20 MB hard drives, AST Sixpack memory expansion boards, and the 5 1/2 inch floppy!

Believe it or not irc chat rooms are still alive and well right next to web chat. Actually there have been many times here that I wish we had a chat function just for times like this. I love posting in the forums but sometimes want answers much quicker and much more interactively. I love to bounce ideas off of other people. Its how I complete my thoughts.

marnold
March 1st, 2013, 10:43 PM
Yep, a blog would be what you are looking for.