PDA

View Full Version : A bit of bragging, then let's talk about nuts

marnold
March 1st, 2013, 09:14 PM
Since I had to go to Green Bay this week, I took my '51 to a local luthier who had done work for me before. The guitar had the slightest bit of fret sprout, which was only noticeable during the winter. He took care of it for me before I returned home and only charged me $18. Smooth as silk now! I mentioned to him that I set up the '51 myself. He said that normally he rolls his eyes when people say that, but he said that mine was set up almost perfectly! All he said he might do it tighten the truss rod a smidge. I agreed, but it was close enough for rock and roll for me. I feared that I'd get more buzz than I wanted.

We also talked about nuts. His son had installed a bone nut on my Charvel Model 7. I discussed the value of doing that on this guitar. He said that he loves doing that, but that I'd see little benefit to it relative to the cost (about $60 for the nut, slotting, and installation). I've got a TUSQ nut that I'll probably install someday, but I'm not in a big hurry. Some people swear that a TUSQ or bone nut will improve tone dramatically. I have difficulty seeing how that could be possible, unless you are playing a lot of open strings. This, of course is assuming that the nut is properly cut, the slots are the proper height, and no strings are catching. Bridges I can totally see because the string is always in contact with it.

I know back in the 80s there was a huge craze for brass nuts that died out. I suppose that would add a bit more mass to the headstock, but I can't imagine it being that significant. So I ask, am I wrong, or is nut material irrelevant assuming a) it is functioning properly and b) you aren't playing open strings? This is assuming that you aren't Eric Johnson who can hear things that only certain species of dogs can.

cebreez
March 1st, 2013, 09:55 PM
This is assuming that you aren't Eric Johnson who can hear things that only certain species of dogs can.
So true!

I would put a TUSQ or bone nut on every guitar I own except my Peavey T-60 with the aluminum nut. BEEEcause.... I do believe it makes a remarkable improvement over clarity and articulation of the notes, and tone, and more importantly puts less stress on the string, allows for less friction, therefore prolongs the life of the strings. On my Yamaha acoustic I put TUSQ nut and saddle and brass end pins. Was going to use a brass nut but the tone was already bright enough. Speaking of... it needs to go to the luthier and get the neck and bridge reset. Going to do that soon.

Bookkeeper's Son
March 1st, 2013, 09:58 PM
A whole lot of hooey, I say!

Katastrophe
March 1st, 2013, 10:11 PM
On open strings, different nut materials can have a real effect on the tone. With fretted notes, not so much, IMO.

Perfect Stranger
March 2nd, 2013, 08:09 AM
Boy, after reading that title...I didn't know whether to come in here or not.....:rollover