PDA

View Full Version : (Belated) NAD!

Brian Krashpad
March 2nd, 2013, 03:19 PM
Bought this earlier this week, but have been so busy hadn't had a chance to post it or take a pic.

Vox AD30VT-XL. Bought for less than a third of new street price (these are discontinued, so can't buy new anymore anyhow).

30W hybrid 1x10 combo, with modeling of more high-gain/hard rock amps than the standard Vox Valvetronic line.

Also has a nice feature on the back, a radial control where you can vary the wattage output from 30W downward.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/374396_10151468413833879_714830805_n.jpg

Bookkeeper's Son
March 2nd, 2013, 04:07 PM
Cool amp; my jam buddy has one. Are you sure the speaker is 12", not 10?

mrmudcat
March 2nd, 2013, 04:08 PM
Nice how does it sound!

cebreez
March 2nd, 2013, 04:14 PM
I meant to ask you about it when you posted the pic with your "entourage". Very nice!! Im with mrmudcat. Had a chance to play it much?

Brian Krashpad
March 2nd, 2013, 04:36 PM
Cool amp; my jam buddy has one. Are you sure the speaker is 12", not 10?

Oops, I think you're right. 1x10. Fixed.

Brian Krashpad
March 2nd, 2013, 04:45 PM
Nice how does it sound!

Really good for a hybrid, and surprisingly LOUD when you turn it up.

NWBasser
March 2nd, 2013, 07:18 PM
Congrats on the new amph Brian. Should be a lot fun with all that thing can do.

:dude

mrmudcat
March 3rd, 2013, 02:27 AM
Really good for a hybrid, and surprisingly LOUD when you turn it up.

What part is tubed pre or power?? To lazy to google /////:thwap

piebaldpython
March 3rd, 2013, 08:21 AM
What part is tubed pre or power?? To lazy to google /////:thwap

IIRC...the Valvetronix and the Fender SCXD/VCXD lines have 12AX7 in the PRE section to warm things up a bit.

marnold
March 3rd, 2013, 12:29 PM
In the Valvetronix amphs the tube is actually post amp, technically, even though it's a preamp tube. It's digital preamp -> tube -> solid state post amp. It's debatable how much tube character is given. I think it's a starved plate design on top of it all.

Brian Krashpad
March 3rd, 2013, 01:44 PM
Yeah I don't know me much of anything about all them electromechanical thangs. I know this 30W is a lot louder than my 15W SC XD. I miss a couple features of the SC XD though, the line out is one of those "speaker-mute" types that silences the amph, I much prefer just a regular line out so I can send signal to PA but still use the amph as a stage monitor. I wonder if I could get my amp guy to change that.

The other thing is I wish it had a disconnectable speaker, so the amph can easily be used as a head with a different cab. That's something I could probably even do myself, if I had the patience to. Which I probably don't, haha. I'm not much on wiring and soldering skills, though I have done a little bit when forced.

marnold
March 3rd, 2013, 02:36 PM
The other thing is I wish it had a disconnectable speaker, so the amph can easily be used as a head with a different cab. That's something I could probably even do myself, if I had the patience to. Which I probably don't, haha. I'm not much on wiring and soldering skills, though I have done a little bit when forced.

Strummy did something like this with his AD30VT back in the day. He wanted to use his AD30VT as a cab, but the principle is the same. He connected the amp leads to one jack and the speaker leads to another. For normal operation, you just have to put a jumper between the two. In your case you could just hook up a speaker cable to the amp out jack and away you go!

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/11177-Need-Some-Wiring-Assistance