PDA

View Full Version : Squier Fat Strat HSS Walnut Stain

ShortBuSX
December 28th, 2006, 02:08 PM
I recently found this forum looking for some info...I was quite pleased to find a Squier forum! Ive had a Squier Standard Telecaster walnut stain that I bought myself for my birthday in September to replace my old Ibanez Roadstar I got when I was 13(Im now 34)...I love this Tele!!! So much so that I bought myself a new VOX AD30VT with my Christmas bonus(gift to myself)...

...AND for Christmas, I convenced my dad to get me the Squier Fat Strat HSS walnut stain, from Overstock. It arrived yesterday...and as expected it matches nicely with the Tele's stain. ITS BEAUTIFUL!!! The 60's CBS headstock is even growing on me, I kinda like it now that Ive got one. And the Tele style knobs arent as cool lookin as Id origianlly though...Im probably going to switch them out with Strat knobs soon.

Sorry for the long introduction...now the questions:

The 5 way switch and the humbucker? In the 4th possition, the combo between the middle single coil and the humbucker is just "off" sounding...thats the best way I can describe. And the humber is just hot...so in the 4th possition there is a noticable difference...which just doesnt seem right, but I could be wrong, maybe its normal?

Then my next questions are bout the tremolo, but I'll refrain from asking till I get a chance to change out the strings...but any tremolo setup advice would be appreciated...or links to set up(already checked out Fenders site about set up).

And then lastly, how should I care for these walnut stains? What do I wipe them down with? To care for the lack of paint and urethane...what do I dress the finish with? Ive got fretboard dressing, but seems like a bit much, too thick, too heavy. Or should I use something like Pledge? I really dont like the idea of silicone, but I could be wrong about it. Any suggestions? These stains show finger prints and oils just as bad as any other guitar...what can I use???

Thanks yall, cool (Squier)forum! I cant wait to venture out and check out the other forums:DR

Spudman
December 28th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I also have a HSS that I got from Overstock.

The bridge/tremolo should be set so that the base plate is parallel to the top of the guitar body. That is if you are going to use the tremolo.

The strange sound with the humbucker and middle pickup engaged, the "off" sound, is actually a factory screw up. I'm not 100% sure which wires to use but the HB pickup is a 4 conductor and 2 wires are supposed to be wired together and one to the switch and the remaining wire to the volume pot. The two that are wired together just tape the end and leave them loose in the cavity.

I can't remember the color combination how mine came. I just know that it was out of phase in this position. I swapped the volume and switch leads around and it took care of the problem. I am not happy with the way this sounds either. The output changed for the worse and the dynamics disappeared too. So that leads me to believe that the two paired wires are incorrect.

Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio have the same color wires too but use them differently from each other. If you check their web sites they list which color wiring to use for full humbucking/in phase/out of phase etc. I suggest trying one of their combinations.

I wish I could tell you exactly how to solve the problem but I've been too busy to dig into my own guitar.

ShortBuSX
December 29th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Well heres the wiring diagram:
http://www.squierguitars.com/pdf/diagrams/SquierStandardFatStrA8C.pdf

I dont know much bout electronics, Id say I can barely read that, but Ive got it printed out and plan on taking a look at it this (busy)weekend(maybe)...Im actually curious if its a mistake on the schematic or if its just a mistake with the wiring. I also found the schematic for the Fender HSS, but I dont believe its relievent as the 2 looked entirely different as far as the wirings concerned.

Can anybody make heads or tales of this?

ShortBuSX
December 29th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Also, just got new strings and plan on making adjustments to the tremolo when I install em...Ive still got some set up and intonation to tackle.

Any suggestions about caring for this walnut finish?

duhvoodooman
December 29th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Well heres the wiring diagram:
http://www.squierguitars.com/pdf/diagrams/SquierStandardFatStrA8C.pdf

I dont know much bout electronics, Id say I can barely read that, but Ive got it printed out and plan on taking a look at it this (busy)weekend(maybe)...Im actually curious if its a mistake on the schematic or if its just a mistake with the wiring. I also found the schematic for the Fender HSS, but I dont believe its relievent as the 2 looked entirely different as far as the wirings concerned.

Can anybody make heads or tales of this?
Can you confirm that your HSS Squier Strat is wired per that diagram?

Doesn't look like anything fancy, pretty much just the usual 5-way Strat switching between the 3 p'ups. The tone pots are configured a bit differently than a standard SSS Strat to accomodate the humbucker's darker tonal characteristics, but nothing that would account for what you describe.

This diagram shows only a 2-conductor humbucker, which would eliminate "fancy stuff" like coil-cutting or series/parallel wiring mods. 4-conductor humbuckers in stock guitars--especially inexpensive ones--are pretty rare, so I would guess that the diagram depicts your Strat correctly.

Keep in mind that the 2nd & 4th positions of the pickup selector will put the two selected p'ups into a parallel configuration, which causes some signal cancellation and thins out the tone some, since the lows & mids are affected more. With an SSS Strat, this gives the characteristic Strat "quack" in those positions. I've never had an HSS Strat, so I don't know how the blend of the humbucker and middle single-coil is supposed to sound, but I'm wondering if what you're describing isn't exactly what the two p'ups in parallel end up sounding like.

If you can "pop the hood", take some close up digital photos of the pickup wiring and post them, we should be able to see if it's wired as the reference diagram shows....

ShortBuSX
December 29th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Im in the midle of moving, so taking pics and posting them arent much of an option for me, but I can pop the cover and describe what I see...you wanna know how the switch is wired? Or something different? I'll take a look and compair it against the diagram.

Is there anything specific you want me to make note of?

PS: thanks for the help!

ALSO Duhvoodoo, Im new to this site, but I am already familiar with your VOX page, and have found it very useful in the last 2 weeks since my AD30VT purchase...THANK YOU soooo much for making all that info so readily available!!!

duhvoodooman
December 29th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Mainly, I'm interested to know:

Is the humbucker a 2-conductor or 4-conductor?
How are the pickups wired to the 5-way switch?

HERE (http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/1h_2s_1v_2t_5w.html) is a diagram from the Seymour Duncan site that should be easier to read, since it's drawn to depict the actual physical appearance of the electronics. The only difference you should see (assuming your Squier HSS Strat is wired this way) is that a 2-conductor 'bucker won't have the extra white & red leads pig-tailed together and there would be only a single wire (probably black, or maybe silver mesh) from it soldered to the back of the volume pot. The "hot" lead (probably white) would go to the 5-way switch.

Glad you've found the VOX page useful! :D

ShortBuSX
December 29th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Okay, with the guitar popped open on my lap, looking at the switch from left to right, small(thin) green wire, white, yellow, and then one red wire thats soldered to 3 posts in a row, then green, yellow and then a black wire soldered to the side of the switch.

Of the pickup wires I can see the neck pick up is wired yellow and black and the middle pick up is black and white wired...Im not able to tell what the humbucker is wires are colored...and its kinda hard to tell what the pots are wired are like.

duhvoodooman
December 29th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Which way on your lap? Guitar upside down and neck pointing how?

The 5-way should have 4 contacts on either side. Can you clarify which is which in your description? One set is oriented toward the outside of the guitar body and the other toward the pickup cavity.

Really need to know what the wires coming out of that 'bucker are; why can't you see them?

Wiring to the pots shouldn't be relevant to the problem you're describing.

ShortBuSX
December 29th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Okay, couple of observations...if you look at the Squier schematic, my neck pup and my middle pups wire colors are backwards...could the neck pickup be in the middle position and vise verse? Probably not much difference, and not pertaining to my original gripe. But considering the pups locations, they are in the right location on the switch.

The red wire that I see is soldered to 2 locations, but it appears that it may have gotten melted(or shorting out) on a 3rd spot...Im gonna hafta look closer this weekend. If you look at the SD page it shows one of the posts blank.

When looking at the SD schematic, they show a red and withe wire tied together...thats what mine looks like, but the Squier schematic doesnt show this, they only show 2 wires(white and a black)....the SD shows 5 wires...

...okay, I think I just figured it out!!! My green wire should be grounded to the master volume(with the grey wire too), and a black wire from the humbucker should be on the switch!!!(according to the SD page).

I dunno if Im gonna try this, this weekend...but Im atleast going to compair my notes with the schematics and my guitars wiring too.

ShortBuSX
December 29th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Which way on your lap? Guitar upside down and neck pointing how?

Pointing to the left...also remember this doesnt have a pickguard, so Im going from behind through the acess panel.

The 5-way should have 4 contacts on either side. Can you clarify which is which in your description? One set is oriented toward the outside of the guitar body and the other toward the pickup cavity.

They are all in one row on one side/kinda on top.

Really need to know what the wires coming out of that 'bucker are; why can't you see them?

I think it was because of heat sink around all of the wires...but if you read my above post, I think I figured it out.

Wiring to the pots shouldn't be relevant to the problem you're describing.

But I think its one of the grounds on the back of the volume pot thats mixed up with the thin green wire on the first terminal post of the switch.

BTW thanks for the SD page!!! You turned out to be one the most helpful people online all MONTH!!! You sir, ROCK!!!:R

duhvoodooman
December 29th, 2006, 11:01 PM
OK, this is starting to make sense now. Looks like they've wired in the humbucker backwards. It will sound normal when played just by itself, but when you switch to the bridge/middle combo, the two pickups will be out of phase. This gives a squawky, hollow sound. If you just switch the green and black wires, as you've described, that should remedy the situation.

Good deal that you have a 4-conductor 'bucker there! Gives you a lot of options for different tones if you ever want to get into some wiring mods with it. You don't see 4-conductor HB's in many "stock" guitars, especially under $200!!

Yeah, kind of looks like they swapped the neck and middle p'ups when they installed them, based on the wire colors. But the neck and middle generally don't differ much, if at all, so I wouldn't bother switching them.

That's a different 5-way switch than the standard Fender version. Not exactly sure how it's wired up, but I could take a fair guess. I looked around on the web to see if I could find a wiring diagram for it, but no luck. Nothing on the Squier website other than what you pointed out....

Spudman
December 29th, 2006, 11:19 PM
That's what I said: out of phase. I just hadn't figured out how to correct it. Thank you Voodoo. It sure is nice having some smart folk around here. Now I can fix mine if I ever get time...and install a push/pull pot.:) It's a good sounding bucker too.

For taking care of the finish...wash it if it gets too dirty with a damp cloth or use some spray furniture polish like Pledge I guess.

Ro3b
December 30th, 2006, 07:19 AM
I think the finish is likely to be satin polyurethane, like Squier uses on their necks. You can probably get away with just wiping it down occasionally.

According to the setup guide on the Fender website, Fender spec for tremolo setup is to have a gap of about 1/8" at the rear of the bridge. This lets you use the tremolo to bend notes up as well as down. On my Squier strat, I found I get that exact size of gap with two springs on and .010" strings. You can touch up the gap with small adjustments of the screws on the claw.

duhvoodooman
December 30th, 2006, 08:47 AM
That's what I said: out of phase. I just hadn't figured out how to correct it.
Yes, you did! I just didn't pay enough attention! :o

Thank you Voodoo. It sure is nice having some smart folk around here.
If I'm so freakin' smart, why did it take me all day & 20 questions to figure out what you had already correctly daignosed from his original description? Ah, well, I think we finally got to the bottom of the cause & how to fix it....

tot_Ou_tard
December 30th, 2006, 08:57 AM
If I'm so freakin' smart, why did it take me all day & 20 questions to figure out what you had already correctly daignosed from his original description? Ah, well, I think we finally got to the bottom of the cause & how to fix it....
Well, Spud does have one of these & he knows his strats so he already knew that it sounded like those pups were out of phase.

So Vood you are still smart cause you figured it out without listening to it.

You still didn't pay enough attention, but what's a little ADD between friends?

ShortBuSX
December 30th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Hey! What about me? The newb, Im new at modding...dont know squat about 'lectronics...and with the right resources, I figured this out too!:D And heck, Im the one whos gotta fix it:(

Ive been thinkin...I think Im gonna wire the bucker correctly and then order a new switch and then swap the front and mid pups...or just wait and do it all at the same time.

I think its kinda cool, this problem and all...I bought this Strat cause alot of people are buying the 51 to mod...but this just seemed like a better platform for similar dough...I think its cool that I kinda gotta mod it right out of the box.

Also at first I liked the idea of the Tele style knobs...but now, sittin besides my tele...the knobs look lame and out of place. I mean a Strat without a pickguard, has a bridge bucker and a CBS headstock looks strange enough...but I think I need knobs that are distinctly Strat, yet slightly different...Im thinking maybe Muddy Waters (tele)knobs?
http://i10.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/73/6b/0e_1.JPG

Or just normal black?
http://i19.ebayimg.com/02/i/08/aa/2b/ed_1.JPG

Anybody suggest a good site for gettin Fender small parts like switches and knobs and such?

Thanks yall for all the help and suggestions.

tot_Ou_tard
December 30th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Hey! What about me? The newb, Im new at modding...dont know squat about 'lectronics...and with the right resources, I figured this out too!:D And heck, Im the one whos gotta fix it:(

You're smart too ShortBuSX.

There do you feel better now? :p :D

warren0728
December 30th, 2006, 12:16 PM
i think the story is that muddy used knobs off of an amplifier because he wanted numbers for reference....

personally i would use the muddy knobs because the ones with "volume", "tone" & "tone" on them just scream strat....

ww

SuperSwede
December 30th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Personally I think that the black LP speed knobs looks fantastic. Easily the most good looking knobs.

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/images/knobs/knob_speed_black_200.jpg

warren0728
December 30th, 2006, 12:35 PM
i have those speed knobs on my ibanez GAX...they are good looking knobs

just don't get those knobs shaped like dice....man those things bug me :eek:

ww

ShortBuSX
December 31st, 2006, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions:D But I thik Im leanin more towards the regular black strat knobs...I'll get em the same time I get the switch. Oh yeah...and links/references to a good Fender small parts site?...I want some nickle plated brass saddles for this as well.(I had seen a great site with fender amp parts too, but I never book marked it, great site...anybody???)

ShortBuSX
January 2nd, 2007, 09:28 AM
I fixed the humbucker wiring this last night! And now it sounds great!!!

I still wanna swap out the 5 way switch...its a little static-y and flimsy. Im deffinately swapping it when I get the knobs.
Now Im just trying to find a quality switch, thats not all complicated.
I saw a Stew Mac (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/3/Megaswitches/Pictures.html#details) but the schematic (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/3/Megaswitches/Instructions/I-3528.html#details) made me second guess gettin it.

ShortBuSX
January 4th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Update...I didnt fix my humbucker connections as well as I thought I had....I was playing at low volumes on my amp and was hearing the dreaded hum at idle....so I spent all day yesterday researching hum and pickup noise, shielding and wiring...even considered buying all new electronics(shielding first)....but I got home last night and cracked the back plate off and refered to the SD schematics (http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/1h_2s_1v_2t_5w.html)...followed my Hbucker leads, realised I only had 4 showing(unlike the 5 in the schematic) and then remembered the heatsink around the black wire was drawn up and it looked like the inner wire had been cut exposing some of the strained...and then realised this must have been the sourse of my ground noise! (DUH!) I plan on fixin this later today...I really wish I could take pics of this(I still might)....and I still want another 5 way*shrug* (OAK or CRL???)

Also last night I stumbled across a few other Strat pics...Id almost forgot about this "style" headstock graffic...
http://www.strat-central.com/pics/strats/1986tonow/180299.jpg
http://www.strat-central.com/pics/strats/1986tonow/hmstratone.jpg
http://www.strat-central.com/pics/strats/1986tonow/hmblack.jpg
http://www.strat-central.com/pics/strats/1986tonow/hmblackhs.jpg
And I kinda dig the Floyd Rose too...in an 80s metal kinda way:R

What the hecks it take to post pics around here??? And does the Fret have a recommended image uploader?

ShortBuSX
January 5th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Bought some new hardware, got the black Strat knobs...dont really care for em now that they are on, and am now thinking black Tele knobs:rolleyes: Also bought a black jack plate and a new CRL 5 way but gonna hold off on installing that just yet till I get all the shielding supplies and possibly some new pots.

I fixed my ground issue and made a couple of other observations...I was kinda surprised to find 500k pots(all 3) by Alpha...but when I put on the knobs I kinda got the impression they are mini pots...and then got to thinking(wondering) if full sized pots would fit actually fit in this little chamber?

Ive got a couple of questions about shielding my pickups and the lack of a pickguard to hide the copper tape...any suggestions(besides the paint stuff)? Anybody seen any guitars without pickguards shielded??? All the instructionals are pickguarded.:confused:

I'll keep posting...maybe somebody will respond to my newb posts *shrug*

ted s
January 5th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Isn't there some adhesive backed foil available, let me check Stewi-Mac...

maybe this .. http://tinyurl.com/yv38o

duhvoodooman
January 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM
What the hecks it take to post pics around here??? And does the Fret have a recommended image uploader?
Use the "Attachment" editor button (http://thefret.net/images/editor/attach.gifhttp://thefret.net/images/editor/menupop.gif), if you want to post pictures here, meaning that the graphics files will actually reside on TheFret.net.

Alternatively, if the files reside on a publicly accessible server, use the "insert image" button (http://thefret.net/images/editor/insertimage.gif). Doing this for one of your posted image links works nicely:

http://www.strat-central.com/pics/strats/1986tonow/180299.jpg

Spudman
January 5th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Those are photos of the highly prized HM Strat. see Heavy Metal Diva http://www.lorilinstruth.com/

The tremolos are Kahler Spyders. I've gt 3 of them. Kahler is now back in production of some sort. At least you can get parts from them, but I don't know if they are making tremolos any more. The Kahler Pro is/was way better than the Floyd IMHO.

ShortBuSX
January 6th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the pic tips DVM! I guess its a little different than the other forums I frequent.

SpudMan, I actually ran into one of those HM strats the other day...it was heavily used(needed frets and paint)...they wanted $300 for it...anyways, that chic is one SMOKIN shredder!!! Thanks for the link.

Teds, Im familiar with the copper conductive tape...Im just curious about using it for around the pups since I dont have a pickguard.

ShortBuSX
January 9th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Can someone talk me out of doing this (http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/lonestar.php) or help re-enforce the idea that itll make a good wiring mod for my HSS?

Im looking to shield it and rewire it with new pots, caps, shielded wire and a new switch...I just figure, hell, if Im going through all the trouble to remove everything to shield it, I might as well rewire it(I gotta desolder most of it anyways)...so why not try a different wiring mod?

duhvoodooman
January 10th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Don't expect me to talk you out of it! I have an S-S-S Strat and did THIS MOD (http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/stratlovers.php) to it, as chronicled in THIS THREAD (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1365). I really love the combo of the bridge p'up in series with the middle--I call it "super quack"! :D :DR

P.S. Unless you're getting a lot of hum from the guitar, I'm not sure I'd bother with all the GuitarNuts shielding stuff. Newer Strats tend to be a lot quieter than the old ones were, and you may not hear that much difference.

ShortBuSX
January 10th, 2007, 09:49 PM
P.S. Unless you're getting a lot of hum from the guitar, I'm not sure I'd bother with all the GuitarNuts shielding stuff. Newer Strats tend to be a lot quieter than the old ones were, and you may not hear that much difference.

Well it can only get better, and Im not convenced the thin black paint on the inside is anything other than black paint...and well they messed up the humbucker ground, so who knows I could be missin another one...Im just gonna gut it, shield it and rewire it for bout $50 and see where that gets me. I know Ive got the gain up high, but if I can reduce some of that hum without replacing the pickups...then I'll be happy. Im not lookin for silence, Im just lookin to improve what I got...have fun and learn somethin all at the same time.

Im kinda curious what effect having 2 tone caps is gonna be like? Like pictured in that link. And wheres a good source for caps?

Im also curious whats thought of "ring terminals" for the grounds...and I kinda get the impression that guys saying to mount the rings between the pickguard and the pots??? Is that right???
And why not use a ring terminal on the spring claw??? Between the bolthead and the claw. *shrug*

ShortBuSX
January 13th, 2007, 12:35 PM
So Ive got everything on order to do this wiring mod (http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/lonestar.php)...but Im stuck on the capacitors...I really dont know enough about them to buy em. And Im starting to think the cap values are just unusual...I dunno.

"Lone Star" Style Wiring
"Real" two-pole switch is required.
The split tone controls (separate capacitors) must be used to avoid coupling the pickups.
A four-wire humbucker is required in the bridge.
See note below regarding phasing.
Suggested capacitor values are .02uf with 250k pots, .033uf with 500k pots. Use approximately half that value on the bridge tone control (if you move the mid control to the bridge). You can also experiment with capacitors to suit your taste.

So Ive got the 500k pots...so where can I find (2) .003uf caps? I wnet to Radioshack...but .033uf didnt seem common...and what volts? 400? Like the 1uf 400v used on the ground???

Details that I just dont have figured out:confused:

Spudman
February 19th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I'm laughing:D lol, partly at myself and mostly at the Indonesians that put my guitar together.

At first there was the issue of the out of phase sound when the bridge and middle pups were selected. After I wired the bridge correctly I still had some issues. Anyway... I went to the Squier site and looked at how these were supposed to be wired, this is where my big chuckle comes in. They had the neck and middle pickups in the WRONG place. The middle is where the neck should be and the neck was put in the middle. Oh my! No wonder these were recently blown out from Overstock.com for cheap.

I am now correcting those issues. LOL

ShortBuSX
February 19th, 2007, 04:20 PM
When I looked at Squiers PDFs for the wiring it had appeared that the pickups were backwards....but upon further inspections the pickup leads colors werent jiving with the schematic...Ive recently checked the polarity and in fact mine are in the proper location.

I think your best bet is to remove the pickups and look and see what the sticker on the back of the humbuckers says, thatll tell you if they are in the right spot.

In reguards to the wiring, did you make certain to seperate the ground shield from the mixed up wires? Its a very fine wire sheild, and if you arent careful its really easy to miss...and will make all the world of difference.;)

ShortBuSX
April 9th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Well I finally got my home computer hooked up, so Im able to post pics now.

I purchased an OAK 5 way swtich, 500k mini pots, new caps, cloth covered wired, Strat knobs, Switchcraft jack and a black jack plate...as well as all the cooper foil needed to shield her up.

Before:
http://www.aeriostyle.com/pics/albums/userpics/10008/normal_Strat.jpg

Stock switch, pots and wiring(corrected, but sorry so blurry):
http://www.aeriostyle.com/pics/albums/userpics/10008/StratWire1.jpg

All hardware removed:
http://www.aeriostyle.com/pics/albums/userpics/10008/normal_Strat2.jpg

ShortBuSX
April 9th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Pickup cavities carefully shielded, so it doesnt show when the pups are mounted:
http://www.aeriostyle.com/pics/albums/userpics/10008/StratSheild.jpg

Id made a templete so I wouldnt be confined to the control cavity while soldering:
http://www.aeriostyle.com/pics/albums/userpics/10008/StratWire2.jpg

ShortBuSX
April 9th, 2007, 12:44 PM
This is almost finished, just about ready to drop in:
http://www.aeriostyle.com/pics/albums/userpics/10008/normal_StratWire3.jpg

After I got it dropped in and everything buttoned up I plugged her in and immeditately noticed I needed to make adjustments to my pup wiring, but it wasnt difficult to figure out what needed to be done. The Lonestar diagram had trouble shooting tips that were helpful.

I dont have any real good finished product pics...but I can take some...Id really like to get my vintage Strat saddles on first too, but will wait till I need new strings.

Im really pleased with the results though, sounds great and splitting the humbucker really works out better for me. Pretty damn quiet and tone is real clean...love it!

After all this, Id have to say that modding/wiring/soldering is far easier than posting pics in this damn forum!(and I already knew how to post pics in a forum!)

sunvalleylaw
April 9th, 2007, 01:42 PM
The pics are not coming through over here. Are they showing up for anyone else?

SuperSwede
April 9th, 2007, 01:43 PM
No pics here either.

warren0728
April 9th, 2007, 01:49 PM
picless here too...

ww

ShortBuSX
April 9th, 2007, 02:09 PM
The pics are not coming through over here. Are they showing up for anyone else?

You know, the whole posting pics thing sucks around here...only 4 pics per post? Whats that about??? So then I had to edit my original post and each time I did a pic would dissappear, copy and paste wouldnt work...but somehow I got em all to show...and now yall tell me, they arent showing(and I can see this too).

AND if you goto quote my original posts, youll see that all the info is there...so WTH?

warren0728
April 9th, 2007, 02:29 PM
it's all a conspiracy...

ww

duhvoodooman
April 9th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Looks like that photo hosting site doesn't allow image calls from other sites. But if you right-click on the red X and select Properties, you can then copy/paste the image URL into another browser window and get the image to display that way. A little inconvenient, but at least you can get to them.

duhvoodooman
April 9th, 2007, 04:00 PM
You know, the whole posting pics thing sucks around here...only 4 pics per post? Whats that about???
It's about server space and thread load times, I would guess. Photos can chew up a lot of MB's in a hurry and take a long time to download, especially on (shudder!!) dial-up connections.

So then I had to edit my original post and each time I did a pic would dissappear, copy and paste wouldnt work...but somehow I got em all to show...and now yall tell me, they arent showing(and I can see this too).

AND if you goto quote my original posts, youll see that all the info is there...so WTH?
This is all a manifestation of a block that your photo hosting site has for displaying its files on other websites. This is a pretty common practice. If you go directly to where the photo is posted on the Aeriostyle.com site, they display fine. But if you try to display them on another site, like you did here--BANG! Red X time.

The reason you can get fooled into thinking they're displaying is that once you view the photo directly, a copy gets saved in your browser cache. Then, when you load the Fret.net posting with the same image references, they display from the cached image. However, if you close your browser and flush all your temporary internet files, when you open this posting again, they'll be gone and the red X's will be back. Nice fake out, huh? But all this has absolutely nothing to do with Fret.net.

Bottom line: if you want them to display here, you'll need to "park" your photos on a less restrictive photo site. Or alternatively, you could provide a link to an "album" or whatever else they happen to call it, where the photos can be viewed directly.

ShortBuSX
April 10th, 2007, 07:50 AM
This is a "do-over"...

I purchased an OAK 5 way swtich, 500k mini pots, new caps, cloth covered wired, Strat knobs, Switchcraft jack and a black jack plate...as well as all the cooper foil needed to shield her up.

Before:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/ShortBuSX/Strat.jpg

Stock switch, pots and wiring(corrected, but sorry so blurry):
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/ShortBuSX/StratWire1.jpg

All hardware removed:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/ShortBuSX/Strat2.jpg

ShortBuSX
April 10th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Pickup cavities carefully shielded, so it doesnt show when the pups are mounted:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/ShortBuSX/StratSheild.jpg

Id made a templete so I wouldnt be confined to the control cavity while soldering:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/ShortBuSX/StratWire2.jpg

This is almost finished, just about ready to drop in:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/ShortBuSX/StratWire3.jpg

After I got it dropped in and everything buttoned up I plugged her in and immeditately noticed I needed to make adjustments to my pup wiring, but it wasnt difficult to figure out what needed to be done. The Lonestar diagram had trouble shooting tips that were helpful.

I dont have any real good finished product pics...but I can take some...Id really like to get my vintage Strat saddles on first too, but will wait till I need new strings.

Im really pleased with the results though, sounds great and splitting the humbucker really works out better for me. Pretty damn quiet and tone is real clean...love it!

PS, thanks DVM for your help with my pics.

sunvalleylaw
April 10th, 2007, 09:35 AM
And thanks ShortBuSX for the perserverance in putting up some pics. I am highly interested in fat strat mods, as I hope to hop up my Fullerton at some point. Your project looks really cool!

ShortBuSX
April 11th, 2007, 06:59 AM
And thanks ShortBuSX for the perserverance in putting up some pics. I am highly interested in fat strat mods, as I hope to hop up my Fullerton at some point. Your project looks really cool!

No problem...I was really anxious to show it off.

I let a guitarless buddy borrow it over the weekend, when I get it back I'll take some more pics of the finished project.

Oh, and I almost forgot...thanks to everybody who helped me with this...I dont think I could have done this(or been inspired to do so) without the Fret! :D

M29
April 12th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Great job ShortBuSX, I am glad you got the pics up!

Could you tell us where you got your copper foil? I get my foil at a craft store but it is pretty thick and yours looks like it molds to the cavity real well. Very nice indeed!

I love this stuff.

M29

warren0728
April 12th, 2007, 05:54 AM
really nice job short....some day i am going to get into modding my guitars and amps....i think i would enjoy it a lot!

ww