PDA

View Full Version : RIP Alvin Lee

kidsmoke
March 6th, 2013, 11:46 AM
sad day. This guys playing was prominent in making me want to play, and why I wanted a semi when I finally started.

http://www.alvinlee.com/

marnold
March 6th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Wow, that was unexpected. RIP.

Perfect Stranger
March 6th, 2013, 12:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGV-CBhnC1w

RIP Alvin....you brought a LOT of good times.

R_of_G
March 6th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Oh I hadn't heard this news yet. How very sad.
I love Alvin Lee's playing and the tone he got out of his semi-hollow guitars.
RIP Mr. Lee.

Spudman
March 6th, 2013, 07:24 PM
He was a big influence on me. In 1974 I picked up a Ten Years After 8-track tape and drove from Montana to Virginia to Alabama with it almost constantly playing in my dad's Buick. It drove him crazy, but I was enthralled with the fire in Alvin's playing and couldn't get enough of it. The 8-track was the perfect vehicle to constantly feed my brain.

So sad that doctors killed Alvin Lee. Bastards!

helliott
March 6th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Wow. What a sad surprise. Aside from Woodstock, I recall Alvin as Spud does: Driving from Ontario to Winnipeg with three 8 trax, Quadraphenia and a 10 Years After (also Live at Leeds that broke at Wawa) tape I cannot recall the name of. At first I just wanted to play that fast, but the more I listened the more it was clear that he may have been speedster but he also had soul. Sad day.

Zip
March 6th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Really sad. I remember when Ssssh came out, I bought it & wore the grooves out learning their version of Good Morning Little etc. Awesome talent, really nice guy, and consummate tinkerer. I first got into modding guitars after hearing about his modding. He was chasing tone when I thought the color of the guitar was more important :)

So sad that doctors killed Alvin Lee. Bastards!

What do you mean? What happened?

marnold
March 7th, 2013, 08:31 AM
He died in otherwise routine surgery, but that's all I know.

R_of_G
March 7th, 2013, 08:38 AM
... but the more I listened the more it was clear that he may have been speedster but he also had soul.

Exactly. There are so many players that can tear it up but after a minute or two, I've really stopped actively listnening and am just appreciating how speedily they can play. Alvin Lee's soloing captivated me from beginning to end.

Retro Hound
March 7th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Heard this this morning. He was an amazing guitar player.