PDA

View Full Version : The Strat is here!

Katastrophe
December 28th, 2006, 02:43 PM
My 2006 Fender MIM Stratocaster is HERE! My wife really did surprise me by ordering one in 3 Tone Sunburst. It's a gorgeous guitar, with a maple FB. BTW, the neck has a really pronounced grain, and it is a little darker in color than some of the other MIMs I've seen. I'm stoked about this guitar.:eek: :D All went well with shipping, and no dings or dents. The guitar needs a good setup, and I'll get 'er done in the next couple of days.

Pics / full Tremoloman style review later.:D

Tinky-Winky
December 28th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Congratulations Katastrophe, this guitar is a winner.

t_ross33
December 28th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Awesome Kat! Can't wait to see it.

Robert
December 28th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Koool man - pics and impressions wanted!

Plank_Spanker
December 28th, 2006, 09:19 PM
New guitars are great! Congrats, man! :D

Katastrophe
December 28th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Thanks, guys. It was Mrs K's birthday today, so I didn't get a chance to play my Strat, or do the setup that she most definitely needs. I will tell you that the polyester clearcoat is impervious to drool, however.:D

Tone2TheBone
December 28th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Awesome Mr. K. Happy for you man. Play that sucker! :)

sunvalleylaw
December 28th, 2006, 11:25 PM
New guitars are great! Congrats, man! :D

Echo that! Have a great time with it, and please do share clips.

warren0728
December 29th, 2006, 05:20 AM
It was Mrs K's birthday today, so I didn't get a chance to play my Strat, or do the setup that she most definitely needs.

don't let mrs k know you think she needs a setup! :eek:

congrats on the strat...waiting for some pics....we need pics! :DR

ww

duhvoodooman
December 29th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Pix & clips! Pix & clips! Pix & clips.... :D

tot_Ou_tard
December 29th, 2006, 07:30 AM

:D :D :D

Congrats Kat-man & by the way did Kat-woman ever read that thread to decide what to get you & did you get her that, what was it, a digital camera?

Plank_Spanker
December 29th, 2006, 07:37 AM
The restless, seething mass is clamoring for pics! :D

Katastrophe
December 29th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Oh, now THAT'S funny! Mrs. K. is setup quite well from the factory, no adjustments necessary, although she is quite capable of a screaming solo. That's usually my fault, though.;) :D

She ordered the Strat on Christmas Eve, after asking if I could set everything up on the 'puter for her. She made me leave the room and wouldn't let me come in until she completed the order. I was under strict instructions to not try to trace the order or track it in any way. The other order that she was tracking was an ebay purchase for my stepdaughter, used by my wife to build suspense (and it worked.)

She got her camcorder for Christmas and loves it.

I read the manual for the guitar this morning. I'll have pics and a review done tonight. No clips, though, as I can't record to the computer yet.
:D

SuperSwede
December 29th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I read the manual for the guitar this morning. I'll have pics and a review done tonight. No clips, though, as I can't record to the computer yet.
:D

Guitars come with manuals??? :eek:

Heh.. well be sure to include the wonderful Mrs K when you take pics ;)

tot_Ou_tard
December 29th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Guitars come with manuals??? :eek:
;)
Sure. They're one page long & all they say is

RAWK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Katastrophe
December 30th, 2006, 04:14 PM
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q173/MIMStratPics/HPIM1107.jpg

And now, the review!

2006 Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS

General Overview

The guitar arrived securely boxed in a single layer cardboard box, inside a Fender gigbag. The guitar itself was wrapped inside the gigbag with a foam sheet to protect from damage. In the outer pocket was a wrapped package containing two allen wrenches, a Fender Stratocaster manual (for care and upkeep), and the bar for the vibrato. There was no room for the guitar to move, and it would have taken a pretty good impact to damage the finish on this Strat.

Fit and Finish

The first adjective that comes to mind about this guitar is "solid." The neck is bolted tightly to the body, and sits well in the pocket. The pickguard is on securely, and nothing attached to it moves unless you want it to. All of the knobs and the pickup selector switch work well and aren't scratchy. The tuners seem securely fastened and are stable. In fact, all I had to do after receiving the guitar to play it was tune the high E. Everything else stayed in position as it was set up at the Fender, Mexico factory. The vibrato unit is chromed, and there are no obvious signs of defect or flaws in the finish. The jack and strap buttons are securely fastened.

The 3TS finish is absolutely gorgeous. The amber portion of the burst is a little more opaque than I thought it would be, and hides the grain of the veneer underneath (Fender puts a veneer on the MIM 3TS models to hide glue seams from the body). The red band of the burst actually came out more in the pic. It's more subtle and blended in person. The clear coating on top was perfectly applied, with no bubbles or waves in the finish. Great job, Fender!

The neck, a modern "C" shape, is coated in a satin polyester finish. I like it. The finish on the neck is comfortable for me and looks to be durable. Aesthetically, though, this guitar is dying for a glossy finished neck. There is some of this finish on the frets, causing them to feel slightly "scratchy" when I play, but I expect it will be worn off soon! The frets are medium jumbo, and are of a nice size. I like 'em. The frets are well installed and are trimmed well to the sides of the neck. The frets are not polished, but I can take care of that. The nut appears to be plastic, but it's cut well. As soon as it wears out, it'll be replaced with something more durable. Is a bone nut that much more expensive? Graphite? I guess, with this being the base model that Fender has to cut a corner or two somewhere. A minor gripe, to say the least.

The supplied gigbag is cheap, but it does have some padding and will serve it's purpose. I'm not going on any tours soon, and it'll handle the ride to my buddy's house no problem.

I have not taken off the back plate to check out the upgraded steel block on the trem yet.

Playability

This is where it really gets subjective. Let's start out with the neck. The back contour is great for my hand, and I don't get the hand cramps that I get with my Ibanez or ESP when chording. I read the manual and checked out the guitar again, and it looks like all I'm gonna need to do is lower the string height and adjust the truss rod a tiny amount to get the action dialed in. As it stands right now the action feels "good," but I figure it'll be "great" after the guitar is all dialed in. I also plan on lowering the trem to be flush with the body, for a little more tuning stability.

Acoustically, the Strat has a great, bright tone, and is surprisingly loud unamped. Sustain on fretted notes and open strings is good, and lasts a while.

I plugged into my Crate solid state amp, without effects, on the clean channel. The humbucker in the bridge surprised me. I know it's not gonna sound like a Strat single coil in this position, but it was reasonably bright and articulate. My guess is that this pup doesn't have that high of an output. Used in conjunction with the middle pup, the sound was muddy. The middle pup was lowered almost all the way to the pickguard, so I'll raise it and see what happens. Position #3 sounded fine. The middle and neck pup together sounded decent together, and I think that'll improve once I adjust the middle pup. The neck pup was what I was looking for all along! Sweet, glassy, bell-like Stratty goodness. I can't wait to use this pup on a solo or two. Very nice.

Distorted, without effects, gave me the same impressions as playing on the clean channel. This is where the 'bucker comes into it's own, however. It sounded very good to my ears. The neck pup responded well to the distorted setting and that tubey sound thickened up nicely, creating a tone that I'll use often, especially on more dramatic solos where a fluid tone is important. Nice. I also plan on buying an prewired SSS pickguard from GFS to try out later.

Overall, this Strat is a well made, quality instrument that all but the snootiest of guitar snobs would be proud to own. It does what is supposed to do, looks great, and the details are well executed. The upgrades are worth more than the $30.00 increase over the 2005 model.

Katastrophe
December 30th, 2006, 08:57 PM
UPDATE: I went to a buddy's house to show him the Strat. We plugged the guitar into his little Peavey solid state amp so he could hear how it sounded.

WOW.

It was my amp that was making positions 2 and 4 sound muddy. Cutting back on the bass, I was able to coax an amazing clean tone out of this guitar. I can't imagine how good it would sound out of a really good modeling or tube amp.

Is it possible to get more stoked on a guitar the more you play it? I gotta tell ya, a little bit of tweaking, and this is going to be one heck of a guitar!:D

tot_Ou_tard
December 30th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Fantastic K-man!!!

I'm looking forward to the day I get a new ax.

sunvalleylaw
December 30th, 2006, 11:05 PM
UPDATE: I went to a buddy's house to show him the Strat. We plugged the guitar into his little Peavey solid state amp so he could hear how it sounded.

WOW.

It was my amp that was making positions 2 and 4 sound muddy. Cutting back on the bass, I was able to coax an amazing clean tone out of this guitar. I can't imagine how good it would sound out of a really good modeling or tube amp.

Is it possible to get more stoked on a guitar the more you play it? I gotta tell ya, a little bit of tweaking, and this is going to be one heck of a guitar!:D

Thanks for the great report! The pics look awsome. You going to leave the pickguard stock, or go for tortoise shell on the sunburst like some of the others?

Katastrophe
December 31st, 2006, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the great report! The pics look awsome. You going to leave the pickguard stock, or go for tortoise shell on the sunburst like some of the others?

I don't know yet. I think it looks really good with the white PG right now. However, a pearloid PG and gold hardware would look cool, too. But then again, the tortoise shell looks fantastic on the other guys' guitars. Leaving the pickups as is and installing a black PG with gold hardware would kinda give it that "pre-beatup" Number 1 SRV look. A parchment PG with chrome hardware and "aged" pickup covers would look good, too.

There are so many options out there... What do you think?

SuperSwede
December 31st, 2006, 02:55 AM
K, sounds like you are in strat heaven right now! And yes, the guitar will feel better and better the more you play on it. That is especially true on factory new guitars. I wouldnt go for gold on a 3ts, I think you should do the aged parts thing instead imho.