PDA

View Full Version : Still Around

Glacies
March 15th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Hey Guys,

I just thought I'd pop in and say hi. I'm still alive, doing pretty well, but still not settled from the big life move.

My wife finally got a job in the area and she'll be moving in with me, after 6 months of living apart, today. I'm super excited. Unfortunately we haven't sold our home yet so we'll be living in a small apartment while that gets handled.

I've been playing a lot, trying to understand how to solo, getting pretty nasty with some chords and working on my gear. I haven't been playing with a band though and I think I'm losing whatever "mojo" i used to have when I was doing that regularly. I miss it a lot. My guys gave me so much room to learn even though they were better musicians than I am, but they made me feel like I brought something important to the table with my creativity.

As to why I haven't been posting, first because I didn't have internet. I was trying to save a dime while juggling mortgage and rent, and second, I admittedly went into a bit of a depression living alone for so long, feeling like I'm damaging my family by taking a good job and leaving everyone behind. Between that huge tree destroying part of my house and 2 cars, to the miscarriage, to the not-very-graceful transition into the new job, it's just been a lot to deal with. My wife gets mad when I think like that, and she's right, this sets us up for the future, but damn it's been hard and being apart hasn't helped.

Back to cool stuff, I don't know how some of you guys feel about him, but I'm really starting to idolize John Frusciante. I have been struggling to play a lot of his music because it's so technically advanced, but damn, when I get it, it's like a lightbulb goes off and I take it to other stuff. I've learned so much about relative minors through his chordplay when I realized that just because something seemed like it was totally dissimiliar, it still worked.

I am really struggling trying to learn Soul to Squeeze right now, but I'm pushing through, while working through this book at the same time:

http://www.amazon.com/Guitarists-Chords-The-Foundation-Melodic-Soloing/dp/1423483219/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363357778&sr=8-2&keywords=scales+over+chords

I am still looking to buy a pro level instrument and I'm going to post about it in a minute in the right subforum.

Anyway, I hope all is well with you guys. Any big changes that I missed?

kidsmoke
March 15th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Glacies, good to hear from you man, and props to you for your self awareness and fight. You're landing on your feet and looking forward, and that's what matters. Keep it up.

I'll be watching for your GAS thread, and will bring a match!

Tig
March 15th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Sounds like you've had plenty on your plate, Glacies. I'm glad things are starting to turn around finally. As for taking the job and being away from the family, well, sometimes you have to do whatcha' gotta' do. A short term sacrifice is difficult but it sounds like the smart decision in the circumstances you were in.

Take care, and welcome back!

Glacies
March 18th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. GAS thread incoming!