PDA

View Full Version : Tuner Pedal

Robert
December 22nd, 2005, 03:34 PM
What tuner do you use, and which do you recommend. It seems BOSS TU-2 is very popular. Don't they have a TU-12 too that is good?

The Peterson Strobostomp seems great, but it costs 2 arms and 1 leg.

Robert
December 26th, 2005, 12:28 PM
I also hear the KORG DT-10 is good. Many seem to like it better than the Boss tuner pedals.

Guitar-Chris
December 26th, 2005, 12:58 PM
I also hear the KORG DT-10 is good. Many seem to like it better than the Boss tuner pedals.

Don't know, which one is better, but I have the Boss TU-2, and it does its work very well. I also use it, when I change my guitar: Do a step on it, and all is quite. It has two outputs: One which is quite when tuning, and one which is always on. It also has a buffered output, so it vompensates the loss of signal in long cables. Put it in your effect-chain as first pedal. It also can serve as a multi power-unit as it has a power input and a power output.

I thonk the Korg is nearly the same quality.

sunvalleylaw
May 12th, 2007, 07:42 AM
For a pedal tuner on a budget, this one that I just received seems nice:

http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-BEHTU100?source=froogle

The LEDs underneath the note, and the lights to either side of the note really make it easy for me to dial in the note quickly. As a relative novice, I really like that. It has a bypass mode where you hear the note played as you tune or a mode where it mutes everything as you tune visually. It is in a plastic housing but seems like it will outlast the amount you pay for it. I wasn't up for spending toward a hundred USD for a new Boss or Korg type. You can get this one for less than is typically charged for the small Korg CA-30 tuner (I also have that one, but wanted one in my pedal chain) that does not operate as a pedal.

I was also looking at an Arion, also plastic housed. (Spud has one that I used briefly when he visited). I think this one compares nicely, and I personally like the display a little better.

Cheers!

Robert
May 12th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I now use a Rocktron X-tune, a fine tuning pedal. Fast and accurate. The only drawback is that it's slighly big. And it's pink!

M29
May 12th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Pink?:eek:

M29

sunvalleylaw
May 12th, 2007, 09:04 PM
I actually bought my Berhinger here: http://www.music123.com/Behringer-Chromatic-Tuner-i156792.music

Added it on to my son's Fully strat pack order.

tot_Ou_tard
May 12th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Pink?:eek:

M29

Pics Robert! We want pics!

I hope it has a little fluffy bunny tail & some bunny ears. That'd be sooooooo cute! :p

Robert
May 12th, 2007, 10:05 PM
It looks like this ... Rocktron X-tune (http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-2274513-10381297?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.musiciansfriend.com% 2Fproduct%2FRocktron-XTune-Guitar-Tuner-Stomp-Box%3Fsku%3D154234&cjsku=154234)

tot_Ou_tard
May 13th, 2007, 05:39 AM
I'd call that lipstick red. :D

Robert
May 13th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Well, maybe, but it looks more pinkish in real life... :)

vroomery
September 17th, 2007, 11:31 PM
the main difference i have found between the korg tuner and the tu-2 is that the korg tuner pedal is more accurate (tunes to within +/- 1 cent) where as the boss tu-2 is accurate to +/- 3 cent. Small difference but sometimes the smallest bit counts. I've also seen that the korg tuner is alot easier to read on stage in the dark or in the bright sunlight. Kind of preference in the end though i suppose.

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I don't know how other tuners work but the TU-2 is neat cause as Chris said you can power off other pedals with it and it's got switchable tuning modes for chromatic tuning, standard guitar A440 tuning and Eb tuning plus bass and Eb bass. I guess in bass mode it picks up the wider low end frequencies better or something? Anyway I like it.

Robert
October 7th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I am curious to hear if anyone has a Peterson Strobe tuner? These seem to be all the rave these days.

I want a smaller tuner than my Rocktron X-tune, since my pedal board is getting crammed. I'll probably sell off my Rocktron at that point.

abraxas
October 8th, 2007, 02:22 AM
I am curious to hear if anyone has a Peterson Strobe tuner? These seem to be all the rave these days.

I want a smaller tuner than my Rocktron X-tune, since my pedal board is getting crammed. I'll probably sell off my Rocktron at that point.

Yep! I have a Strobostomp that I couldn't live without.

IMHO, there are good tuner pedals, very good tuner pedals and there is the Strobostomp. It costs as much as twice what the others ask for, but, believe me, it is worth every penny. :Dude:

Robert
October 8th, 2007, 07:11 AM
There is another strobe tuner called Turbo-Tuner that also gets very good reviews.

So tell me, why are these Peterson pedals worth every penny? Can you tune faster? I never have a problem with tuning my guitars to a cheap tuner, so accuracy isn't a big deal for me. However, I can see it be a great tool for intonation too, but the AP guitar tuner software is very exact for that as well.

abraxas
October 8th, 2007, 08:00 AM
So tell me, why are these Peterson pedals worth every penny? Can you tune faster? I never have a problem with tuning my guitars to a cheap tuner, so accuracy isn't a big deal for me. However, I can see it be a great tool for intonation too, but the AP guitar tuner software is very exact for that as well.

First of all, standard needle or electronic tuners, at least the ones I've tried are not quite so accurate. I have tuned with some well known tuners, only to check with the Peterson and find I'm out of tune (minor inaccuracies, but you get the picture).

The Peterson is indispensable for intonation work, that is why so many technicians use them. Also their tempered tunings are spot-on. You will be shocked to hear the difference on an acoustic guitar, esp. at the higher frets.

Also there is a very evident difference when you play with keyboards. Since both the bands I'm playing feature keyboard players, I found out I was a lot better in tune with them, using the Peterson.

As for practical things, like speed and visibility on stage, yes, I think it is very fast and VERY easy to see. Did I mention it is true bypass also? :)

pes_laul
October 9th, 2007, 02:58 PM
i usually use my line 6 floor pod tuner but my korg GA-30 tunes more accurately

Chito
October 31st, 2007, 09:49 AM
There's 3 that I can think of that most people use, the Korg DT-10, Boss TU-2 and the Peterson Strobostomp. If you are willing to shell out the cash then go for the Strobostomp. Like what already has been said, it's probably the most accurate of them all. Otherwise, get the Korg or the Boss.

rkwrenn
November 1st, 2007, 07:25 AM
First of all, standard needle or electronic tuners, at least the ones I've tried are not quite so accurate. I have tuned with some well known tuners, only to check with the Peterson and find I'm out of tune (minor inaccuracies, but you get the picture).

The Peterson is indispensable for intonation work, that is why so many technicians use them. Also their tempered tunings are spot-on. You will be shocked to hear the difference on an acoustic guitar, esp. at the higher frets.

Also there is a very evident difference when you play with keyboards. Since both the bands I'm playing feature keyboard players, I found out I was a lot better in tune with them, using the Peterson.

As for practical things, like speed and visibility on stage, yes, I think it is very fast and VERY easy to see. Did I mention it is true bypass also? :)

+1

I replaced my Boss TU2 with the Peterson. The only thing I can add to the above is that the Boss tuner display disappears completely in sunlight. Seems like the Boss display cannot stand the slightest bit of heat.

Cheers

Bob

Robert
November 2nd, 2007, 08:12 AM
Ahh, you guys are going to make me buy the Peterson, aren't you? Well if it really is that much better than sliced bread, I guess I should get one. :whatever:

Tone2TheBone
November 2nd, 2007, 08:35 AM
Rob...buy the Peterson and then take pics of it to put in your photos folder you don't have enough photos in there. ;)

elavd
November 2nd, 2007, 03:55 PM
Before I sell my pedals, I used the BOSS TU-2 and was very happy with it.

I've read very good comments about the Peterson Strobostomp, but it's off my budget...;)

hubberjub
November 28th, 2007, 05:15 PM
I use a Planet Waves pedal tuner. It seem accurate and it is true bypass but it makes a weird and loud hum when I engage it. I don't know what it could be. It's powered by my SKB PS-45 pedalboard which has a built in power conditioner. I don't get it. Any thoughts?

R_of_G
November 28th, 2007, 05:20 PM
The tuner in my Digitech multi-effects unit seems to be pretty accurate and easy enough to access.

tot_Ou_tard
November 28th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I have a strobostomp & love it. I do my own intonation.

A while ago Musicians friend was blowing out the original model for ~$100 maybe you could find one around or on ebay.

MPsound
November 29th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Hub - check out these links. The noise you hear is likely due to the LEDs. I have the same pedal - seems some folks with even the latest models have this issue, not just pedals from their 'first lot' as mentioned in these links. You may be able to work around it by changing the placement in the pedal chain, or using other power options.

http://www.daddario.com/Discuss/Topic28575-2-7.aspx

http://www.daddario.com/Discuss/Topic32611-2-1.aspx

hubberjub
November 30th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Thanks. I'll see if any of their suggestions work.

LowEndWonder
December 27th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Upper end Korgs are more accurate than Boss tuners.