PDA

View Full Version : Another Toy

stingx
March 24th, 2013, 02:33 PM
So I walked into Sam Ash for strings and ended up leaving with this...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8511/8586249557_dfc24521d5_b.jpg

I need to exercise more self-control.

mrmudcat
March 24th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Wow like that alot!!!

stingx
March 24th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Thanks. As Krashpad alluded to in his JR thread, the finish will prolly wear easily - that might be the only con to these value series guitars. The pros are kick *** pickups, electronics, and the 50s neck (I like chunkier necks). They also have the vintage kluson tuners that I prefer. The biggest plus though, at least for me, is they are weight-relief chambered and easy on this old man's back. :)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8242/8586890153_bff37df24a_b.jpg

stingx
March 24th, 2013, 06:10 PM
This big question now is...should I ditch the pickguard? LOL

tjcurtin1
March 24th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Holy Smokes - when you cave to the lust of the moment, you don't fool around! Looks beautiful! (BTW, those of us on the other side of the 'problem' often wish we could be more impulsive:) (not to use a more colorful word...))

piebaldpython
March 24th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Sweet git....love the pups.......ditch the PG......or put a paperbag over it. :poke

I never went it for strings and left with a git. lol I don't carry that kind of walk-around money with me.

Hey Sting.....which Laney amp is that? How do you like it? Pros/cons? What kind of tubes are in that?

Spudman
March 24th, 2013, 09:06 PM
That's beautiful. And here I thought I was immune to GAS anymore. :thwap Looks like it would be a fun guitar.

stingx
March 25th, 2013, 04:09 AM
Hey Sting.....which Laney amp is that? How do you like it? Pros/cons? What kind of tubes are in that?

Thanks :) I wrote about the Laney amp pictured a ways back. I got it very cheaply at the NY/NY Amp Show in 2011 while hanging out in the Laney room. They had a few models that they were showing off - some very nice Lionhearts were on demo too. I walked in when I heard some really good guitar playing and noticed the model - Cub 12R. I tried it and was stoked when they told me how much the show price was.

The tubes are all JJ's and I haven't changed the stock speaker yet which is a Celestion Rocket 50. Some claim even better results with a swap to Weber or better model Celestion. I like it just fine stock, so much in fact that the C30 has been put away. Tough to beat the .75 watt setting in the home :)

stingx
March 25th, 2013, 04:11 AM
That's beautiful. And here I thought I was immune to GAS anymore. :thwap Looks like it would be a fun guitar.

Thanks, Spud. It's no where near as exotic looking as a R7 goldtop but if you bear in mind the cost I think it's a sweet deal @ $750.

Tig
March 25th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Oooh, nice! HNGD :AOK

Guitar stores are dangerous places.

marnold
March 25th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Which Paul is that? Very nice, regardless.

duhvoodooman
March 25th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Went in to get $5 worth of strings, and walked out with a $750 guitar. Yeah, that sounds about right! ;)

Nice snag!

stingx
March 25th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Which Paul is that? Very nice, regardless.

Thanks, Rev. Its official moniker is Les Paul 50s Tribute Gold Top - of course sans binding but the pickups and electronics are the same as on the standard. This is painted in a satin finish. Feels nice.

marnold
March 25th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Gold tops are hawt. If I would ever get a Les Paul it would definitely be a gold top. Odd, since I normally wouldn't really want anything else in a gold color besides my wedding ring.

Is the neck really baseball bat-like?

stingx
March 25th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Is the neck really baseball bat-like?

Not at all. It's a very comfortable neck typical of a 50s repro. Feels very good in the hands and doesn't cause cramping. This is all, of course, subjective. I own guitars with Wizard necks and other types but generally prefer a meatier neck or, in the strat world, a V neck. Honestly, try any LP with a 50s neck and see if you like it. Another plus of the satin finish is that it feels silky smooth! Very comfortable guitar to play.

marnold
March 25th, 2013, 01:45 PM
The satin finish would be huge for me. Not many Les Pauls or copies have it. I've always preferred my Jackson's neck, but recently I've grown much more comfortable with my Squier '51's bigger neck.

Of course, all of this is moot since I can't swing a $750 string change right now :)

kidsmoke
March 25th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Recently picked up a LP Jr type guitar with a satin neck, and It's leapt right to the top of the food chain. SOOOOO comfortable....

stingx, nice catch on the LP. What are the p'ups? the 490/498 combo?

stingx
March 25th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Recently picked up a LP Jr type guitar with a satin neck, and It's leapt right to the top of the food chain. SOOOOO comfortable....

stingx, nice catch on the LP. What are the p'ups? the 490/498 combo?

Thanks, TK. Exactly...490R/498T pickups.

NWBasser
March 25th, 2013, 04:58 PM
I recently tried one of these while down in Oregon and nearly walked out with it myself. I love the satin neck and had to excercise a lot of self-control.

Which brings me to ---- Happy New Guitar Day!:thumbsup

That's definitely one I can dig in a big way.

stingx
March 25th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Thanks, NWBasser.

Buy the way, it was easy to fund this because I cleared out some instruments. I am still pairing down and will ditch two more to bring the collection down to the bear essentials.
What stays is simply my childhood friend - my old Kramer Pacer Imperial, my JV Strat, my tele, the newly aquired LP, and maybe my Charvel So Cal. Oh, and my old acoustic.

Tig
March 25th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Not to be a wet blanket, but be sure to check out the finish really well, including the neck. There have been several recent Tribute LP's that had the finish pealing off.
Of course, that doesn't mean all of them, and you'll likely be fine. Just a heads-up.

stingx
March 25th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Thanks. I have also read that Gibson is passing off MIA guitars that are actually made elsewhere. Interesting...

otaypanky
March 25th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Nice ~
I got a 50's Tribute with P-90's and that finish when they first came out a few years ago. The finish has held up very well. The chambered construction gives it a unique tone. It's a great guitar, I love it.

stingx
March 26th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Nice ~
I got a 50's Tribute with P-90's and that finish when they first came out a few years ago. The finish has held up very well. The chambered construction gives it a unique tone. It's a great guitar, I love it.

I had a mild interest in the 50s with P90s and regret not getting one. I still have no P90 equipped guitar :( Nice to know the finish can hold up. I was thinking it would wear in no time at all.

piebaldpython
March 26th, 2013, 07:17 AM
I had a mild interest in the 50s with P90s and regret not getting one. I still have no P90 equipped guitar .

No P90 in your stable? :thwap Don't you think that's a condition that needs to be rectified ASAP? :poke

Seriously, unless you hate the sound of a certain-style pup, it's great to have the sonic pallette covered as much as finances allow. lol

On my pup bucket list are the Jason Lollar Supro pups and the VintageVibe Charlie Christian pups.

kidsmoke
March 26th, 2013, 10:06 AM
No P90 in your stable? :thwap Don't you think that's a condition that needs to be rectified ASAP?

I suffer from this same affliction. My friend has essentially this same guitar...pre flood, Rosewood board, P90's, black, 50's neck. the thing just screams "abuse me" and I've come this/close too many times. Hearing Stingx and OtayPanky gush about them is not helping matters at all. I really cannot afford a GAS relapse at the moment.

NWBasser
March 26th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Thanks. I have also read that Gibson is passing off MIA guitars that are actually made elsewhere. Interesting...

What? Where did you read this?

stingx
April 25th, 2013, 07:21 AM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8115/8677212812_f7bc07ba1a_b.jpg

Haven't touched the JV since purchasing. I love the neck on this guitar.

Brian Krashpad
April 25th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Thanks, TK. Exactly...490R/498T pickups.

Cool, I have those pickups in my Studio Doublecut. Congrats!

Hmm, I haven't heard this and it sounds sketchy. There are, however, lots of Chinese-made fake Gibsons floating around. If you bought new at a dealer, there should be no prob.

I had a mild interest in the 50s with P90s and regret not getting one. I still have no P90 equipped guitar :(

I'm a big P-90 fan, up to 5 now:

3 solidbodies:

a singlecut w/a single GFS HB-sized bridge P-90

a singlecut w/2 Gibson P-90s

a doublecut w/2 Seymour Duncans

1 purely hollowbody with a dogear Epi and a dogear Rio Grande

1 chambered solidbody w/2 dogear Epi P-90s

Definitely try one out, but be careful, they're addictive!

Monkus
April 25th, 2013, 11:01 PM
That's a really beautiful guitar, congrats !!!!

stingx
April 26th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Thanks, Monkus. Hey Brian, you have a cool collection. In seeking out a P90 guitar I've been giving thought to a Reverend model. I like to try before buying so that makes it a little tough for me. Always liked them and that would kill two birds with one stone :)

Brian Krashpad
April 26th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Thanks, Monkus. Hey Brian, you have a cool collection. In seeking out a P90 guitar I've been giving thought to a Reverend model. I like to try before buying so that makes it a little tough for me. Always liked them and that would kill two birds with one stone :)

Thanks. Man, a Rev would be a cool way to go. I've never owned or even played one, have only seen one played locally once, quite a few years ago. Good luck, and congrats again!

sixstringdrug
April 29th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Beautiful Axe!! uh oh! i'm getting GAS bigtime now. Love a goldtop, even though I prefer the 60's neck myself. My Paul has BB's in it, might be getting close to a new pup configuration. Also, I love p-90's and having only one gitfiddle such equipped might have to bring another mule into the stable!! Great Find!!!