PDA

View Full Version : What was the first thing you learned on the guitar?

Robert
December 29th, 2006, 09:13 AM
I remember learning "Smoke On The Water" when I was 13. It was hard, man! My friend could play it so much better than I could, and I was so bummed. I practiced a lot after that! After that it was KISS and Stairway to Heaven.

What was the first thing you learned on the guitar?

Plank_Spanker
December 29th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Yup, Smoke on the Water....................:D

Tinky-Winky
December 29th, 2006, 09:56 AM
The first thing I learnt to play properly was a 12 bar blues.

Big_Rob
December 29th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Smoke on the Water here, Funny how that works out :eek:

Plank_Spanker
December 29th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Smoke on the Water here, Funny how that works out :eek:

We're not old, are we? :D

marnold
December 29th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Umm, I think it probably was "Country Roads" by John Denver back when I was taking acoustic guitar lessons in ~1981. That was before I discovered metal. :)

tremoloman
December 29th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Very first song I ever learned was "Highway To Hell" by AC/DC. First completely self-taught song was "She Sells Sanctuary" from The Cult. Both have special meaning to me. :)

ted s
December 29th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Taking lessons as a kid was the usual Mel Bay/Ronnie Lee books but I think my first "song" was Hotel California.

duhvoodooman
December 29th, 2006, 01:04 PM
We're not old, are we?
Well, actually no, you're not. To wit....

My first was "Louie, Louie". E-A-B, ad nauseum. :eek: :DR

Big_Rob
December 29th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Iron Man was the second song I learned.

Yeah, I feel old

Old enough to know better and young enough to Rock and Roll!!!

SuperSwede
December 29th, 2006, 03:19 PM
It was the 12 bar blues, quickly followed by "smoke on the water".

Janarm
December 29th, 2006, 03:35 PM
One country song and Quiet Riot-Cum on feel the noise:R

sunvalleylaw
December 29th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Yup, Smoke on the Water....................:D

Well, I am much less manly. I learned "Hush little baby" on my acoustic when I first got it five or six years ago to play for the kiddies at bed time. "Smoke on the water", and a portion of "Sunshine of your love" came pretty soon after starting guitar lessons. The first full song after guitar lessons was "Leaving on a Jet Plane"

Tone2TheBone
December 29th, 2006, 05:12 PM
AC/DC - Whole Lotta Rosie......then the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again".

t_ross33
December 29th, 2006, 06:56 PM
SOTW :DR, Another One Bites the Dust (on bass of course), some walking bass lines. Played a lot of country and acoustic to start, so chorded along to whatever was on the radio, stereo, backed up my Dad etc.

Duelling Banjos, Wildwood Flower, Steel Guitar Rag, Under the Double Eagle, Buckaroo, Rebel Rouser...

Some 12 bar blues in E or A...

The first song I can remember figuring out on my own (total lightbulb moment) was the riff in Tennessee Flat Top Box.

Jammed along to the stereo (on bass) to Bily Idol, Platinum Blonde, KISS, Judas Priest, Motley Crue... a guy needs balance!

Just started this e-lec-tric thing about a year ago. I'll let you know when I learn sumptin' :p We're very nostalgic for the 80's at the moment.

Trev

tot_Ou_tard
December 29th, 2006, 08:45 PM
The first thing I learnt to play properly was a 12 bar blues.
Yup, me too .

Spudman
December 29th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Taps and then it was a Rush song. I can't remember which. We liked to jam to the progression of the Rush tune, and the Taps thing was from the military.

Otherwise...the very first thing I played was something I wrote and performed for my parents. They really didn't seem to care as I played it for them, bored is how I would describe it. That made me vow to figure out how to play the guitar so I could get drunk, do drugs and never have a job. I was going to make them so proud. Who knows what a little encouragement would have done for me? Instead...this is how I turned out. Do I seem bitter? Who started this thread anyway. Who gets my $60 for this session and when do I have to come back for the next one?

tot_Ou_tard
December 30th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Taps and then it was a Rush song. I can't remember which. We liked to jam to the progression of the Rush tune, and the Taps thing was from the military.

Otherwise...the very first thing I played was something I wrote and performed for my parents. They really didn't seem to care as I played it for them, bored is how I would describe it. That made me vow to figure out how to play the guitar so I could get drunk, do drugs and never have a job. I was going to make them so proud. Who knows what a little encouragement would have done for me? Instead...this is how I turned out. Do I seem bitter? Who started this thread anyway. Who gets my $60 for this session and when do I have to come back for the next one?
eh, did anyone hear a sound?

It almost sounded like someone talking, only more boring than that....:p

grcsomd
December 30th, 2006, 05:15 PM
My neighbor/friend/guitar teacher "Mr. Ted" wrote the open chords out for me and fingerings for the chords.. He didn't tell me what the song was, I had to figure that out.. which was kinda fun..

Katastrophe
December 30th, 2006, 05:19 PM
"Your Cheatin' Heart," from the Roy Clark Guitar Method book.

kerc
December 30th, 2006, 05:30 PM
U2's I Will Follow. At 27! Easy enough. :D

oldguy
December 31st, 2006, 08:57 AM
"House of the rising sun", followed by "Ramblin' man", chords only, VERY hard to learn, took forever (it seemed like). :D