PDA

View Full Version : Strat pickup suggestions to mod budget guitars?

poodlesrule
March 28th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Sadly, I only have two modest Strats on deck, and am looking to possibly mod them with better pickups, or better, loaded pickups as pots and caps are of average quality, I think. We have:

SX Strat: I like the guitar, stock pickups are not that bad, but I wonder how much better it could become with interesting, juicy SSS pickups?

Other is a Freecycle Mako (1980s, Japan/Korea, possiblyrelated to Hondo?), very resonant old wood, nice maple neck! It could also use some new wiring

Looking for suggestions for pickups (assuming I improve soldering skills!) or loaded pickups (Carvin, Dragonfire, and like) for the above. Not thinking about spending too much on this, even though it would be interesting to see what would turn up with fancier pickups?

Eric
March 28th, 2013, 09:43 AM
How much $$?

poodlesrule
March 28th, 2013, 10:48 AM
That's a sliding scale.. Perhaps 150 on the SX and 60-70 on the Mako?

Eric
March 28th, 2013, 11:16 AM
That's a sliding scale.. Perhaps 150 on the SX and 60-70 on the Mako?
I just recommended these (http://www.rosepickups.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2383491) on another thread. I've never played them, but people seem to think highly of them.

Tig
March 28th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Ken Rose does impressive work. The Mariposa's might be the best bang for the buck.

For a higher price yet nice stuff, the Bare Knuckle offerings are cool. My ultimate high octane GAS choice would be a loaded pick guard with Fender Eric Johnson spec'ed pickups. That puts us North of $300 though!

"The neck pickup is based on a 1954 Strat pickup with oversize Alnico 3 magnets.

The middle pickup is based on a 1963 Strat pickup, uses specially treated Alnico magnets and is wound for hum cancellation when used with the neck or bridge pickup.

The bridge pickup uses Alnico 5 magnets and is specially voiced to be hotter without sacrificing sparkle."

Spudman
March 28th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Harpmaster pickups seem to get good reviews.

http://www.harpmasterpickups.com/

Eric
March 28th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Harpmaster pickups seem to get good reviews.

http://www.harpmasterpickups.com/
Isn't he a dealer of Tonerider pickups too? Or are they Tonerider pickups or something? I'm confused apparently.

marnold
March 28th, 2013, 02:29 PM
I obviously like my Lace Hot Golds, but they aren't the cheapest option. Bill Lawrence Keystones would fit the bill for both price/performance, I would think.

Robert
March 28th, 2013, 05:52 PM
I highly recommend the strat pickups from Porter Pickups - www.porterpickups.com. I have both the 50s set and the Vintage Custom. Both sets sound fantastic. His pickups definitely have that "old school vibe". In other words, if you want modern sounding pickups with none of that "mojo" from the past, look elsewhere.

Bookkeeper's Son
March 28th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Guitar Fetish has a variety of pickups at very good prices, although I'm only personally familiar with the GFS Mean 90s that I put in my Epi Dot. They're excellent, BTW, and the company has what seems to be a liberal exchange policy.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Guitar-Pickups_c_7.html

Tig
March 28th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Wow, too many choices! That's a nice problem to have.

marnold
March 28th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Wow, too many choices! That's a nice problem to have.

That is easily the biggest problem with picking pickups. There's so many! Someone either loves or hates every last one of them. You can listen to clips but unless you have the same set up (and the same chops) you might not sound this same. It'll drive you nuts eventually. I know that both Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan let you trade in a pickup within a certain window if you discover that it's just not doing it for you. Others probably do that as well.

Thankfully, I really liked my Hot Golds from the get-go, so that wasn't an issue.

Photomike666
March 30th, 2013, 04:41 PM
I'm a fan of the Seymour Duncan rail collection. With hot rails, cool rails & vintage rails you would have an awesome array of sounds.

These are humbuckers that fit in a single slot and come with punch. Two of Iron Maidens guitarists use the hot rails.

Photomike666
March 30th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Forgot so say new they are a bit pricy, but you may find then used, or just change one at a time as you can afford it. That's what I'm doing

Duffy
April 1st, 2013, 02:56 AM
Check this link out for some evidently remarkable single coils at good prices. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1036939&highlight=Klea

poodlesrule
April 1st, 2013, 05:24 AM
Hi Duffy!

Working through the pages...
One possible lesson of the day, quoting:
"I'll bet I've had 20 " best Strat pickups ever" in my guitar. It doesn't end.

Duffy
April 1st, 2013, 09:33 AM
Hi Duffy!

Prob'ly so but I have had, to my ear, some distastefully unremarkable pickups.

Duffy
April 1st, 2013, 09:36 AM
Hi Duffy!

There are some numb skull trolls at work in that thread to disregard.