PDA

View Full Version : NBD the G&L addiction continues

NWBasser
April 6th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Well, I can't seem to stop myself from moving towards G&L basses. This latest one replaces my Squier Classic Vibe. I got a great deal off ebay on her that I couldn't pass up. I really wanted another high-quality jazz bass and found the new Fenders to be a bit too dark for my tastes.

Then, thinking about how much I enjoy my other G&Ls, I figured a G&L jazz would be a good choice. So, when I found on used that I could afford (yeah tax return!), I jumped on it.

Sure enough, it rocks big-time!:dude:rockya

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/NWBasser_photos/SNV31833_zpsb9745e01.jpg

It's called Fullerton Red and seems the same as Fender's Fiesta Red.

mrmudcat
April 6th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Nice and sweet !!

marnold
April 6th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Sweet! Time to bust out the Jaco licks.

NWBasser
April 6th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Sweet! Time to bust out the Jaco licks.

For me, it would more likely be Geddy licks.:D

Tig
April 7th, 2013, 10:21 AM
HNBD! She's a beauty. I like that the hefty bridge G & L uses.

Brian Krashpad
April 24th, 2013, 06:40 PM
D'OH! Sorry I missed this, congrats!

Eric
April 26th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Pretty bass; congrats! Isn't this something like G&L #3 for you? And Jazz bass #...3? I can't keep track. Are you enjoying it so far?

NWBasser
April 30th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Eric, yes it is G&L #3.

Jazz basses, hmmm let's see. Lakland, then Fender, then Squier, so this would be #4 if I don't count the GW which didn't look like a jazz.

I think I need to stop here.:help

The new one is a bit heavier than my Squier that I ended up selling. Maybe it's the wood quality, but the harmonics really ring on this one.

Also, the setup was pretty bad when I got it with rather high action. I've been working on that over the last couple of weeks and ended up putting a shim under the neck, adjusting relief, bridge saddles, and intonation. It now has extremely low action without buzzing. Very easy to play too many notes now.:notme

One bad thing is that there is this set-screw on the bottom of the bridge that esssentially pushes the saddles together for better sustain or whatever. Anyway, there was enough space between the bounding sides of the bridge (bridge is U-shaped around the saddles) that it pushed the G & D saddles/strings off the pickup pole pieces a good bit. To "solve" this, I stuck a penny between the A and D saddles to move the saddles more towards the outside and over the pole pieces.

It look cheesy, but works well enough.