PDA

View Full Version : Chapman Stick???

Big_Rob
December 29th, 2006, 02:27 PM
I was looking up some Jethro Tull video to pass the time away at work and found this.

Heres Jethro Tulls "Wond'ring Aloud" as played on a Chapman Stick

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3802009684820379122&q=jethro+tull

Apparently this thing is ALL THAT and a bucket of chicken

Heres the website.

http://www.stick.com

Big_Rob
December 29th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Also heres the Tull I was looking for

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2207504332085566820&q=jethro+tull

tot_Ou_tard
December 29th, 2006, 09:05 PM
The stick is mighty cool & I have a fondness for Tull. Now that you mention it, they seem made for each other.

Chicken Rob can you bring that bucket of chicken back to life?

...ARISE

Spudman
December 29th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Check out Steve Hahn. http://www.deepchocolate.com/

I met him this past spring when he opened up for The Flower Kings in Denver Colorado. Really nice guy and very at peace with himself. Astounding stick player. It was just him and a smoking hot drummer and the sound was HUGE! All the proggers were happily amazed and embraced his music enthusiastically.

I listen to a lot of Tony Levin solo stuff, King Crimson and Peter Gabriel music that he plays on. Tony is one of the best known stick players, but Steve's thing was different than Tony's and so cool. I can only imagine how insane it would be using a looper pedal.

tot_Ou_tard
December 30th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Also heres the Tull I was looking for

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2207504332085566820&q=jethro+tull

I'm watching it now.

Great stuff for an old Tull fan like myself.

THICK AS A BRICK!!

Heavy Horses was the last album that I bought. That was around '78.
At one time I had all of them up to Heavy Horses.

O, the memories. Talk about living in the past....

Thanks for scratching it up Chickenhead Rob!

Ro3b
December 30th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Well... Not to be a hater or anything, but has anyone used the Chapman stick for anything other than "smooth jazz" and polite instrumental covers of pop songs? It's an extraordinary instrument for sure, but while I've heard people with serious chops playing the thing, I've never heard stick music that's visceral, compelling, or original enough to overcome the novelty of the instrument. I want to hear ska and punk and death metal and hip-hop on a stick. I want to hear some down-and-out guy who grew up on mean city streets playing some ripsnorting stick blues. Who's the Hendrix of the stick? The Kurt Cobain? The Segovia? What would slide stick sound like? Is there a way to rig a stick with a vibrato bridge? What does a stick sound like if you set it on fire?

duhvoodooman
December 30th, 2006, 08:50 AM
What does a stick sound like if you set it on fire?
LOL! :D :D :D Yeah, didn't see Jimi dousing one with lighter fluid at Monterey!

But everybody knows a stick is better than a guitar 'cuz they burn longer!

tot_Ou_tard
December 30th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Well... Not to be a hater or anything, but has anyone used the Chapman stick for anything other than "smooth jazz" and polite instrumental covers of pop songs? It's an extraordinary instrument for sure, but while I've heard people with serious chops playing the thing, I've never heard stick music that's visceral, compelling, or original enough to overcome the novelty of the instrument. I want to hear ska and punk and death metal and hip-hop on a stick. I want to hear some down-and-out guy who grew up on mean city streets playing some ripsnorting stick blues. Who's the Hendrix of the stick? The Kurt Cobain? The Segovia? What would slide stick sound like? Is there a way to rig a stick with a vibrato bridge? What does a stick sound like if you set it on fire?

I second through 52nd this statement!!

Put a blowtorch in as a neck pup & a 3-way switch & play some punk ska mean & gritty blues through a Marshall Stack on it!

Big_Rob
December 30th, 2006, 10:23 AM

I could see the blues, jazz (not necessarily smooth), and acoustical music, but not anything else. The $1600.00 and up price is WAY out of my ball park, so I'm not going to be getting one anytime soon

Ro3b
December 30th, 2006, 11:56 AM
I'm waiting for Squier to make a '51 stick, myself. :D

warren0728
December 30th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I'm waiting for Squier to make a '51 stick, myself.
lol....now that's funny....i don't care who you are! :D

ww