PDA

View Full Version : Lowering of frets

Fretfingers123
April 22nd, 2013, 06:08 AM
Hey. Recently took my LP for a setup and bit of a clean to my local guitar workshop. He asked me if there way anything else I wanted doing. Then suggested lowering the frets. I must stress, NOT lowering the action, but the frets. To make it a bit easier to play, supposedly. More like the speed bump style frets if you run your fingers up a strats neck, as opposed to the higher, wall like frets that come on new les Paul's.
as you can probably tell, I've not had my any of my guitars modified before and wonder if any one had had this done? And if it changed it fit the better? I told him to go ahead and do it because it sounded like it was a good idea. Cheers for the help you sexy mother hubbards. ;)
Ps. It's a studio if that's makes a difference.

Spudman
April 22nd, 2013, 07:08 AM
I've had frets leveled or crowned but I would never have them intentionally "lowered". Once lowered you can't go back without completely replacing all the frets and that gets expensive. I like to be able to get a bit of my finger under the string when bending notes too. If the frets are too low then they are too close to the fretboard and there is no space to get under them. I think the "lowering" would actually make it harder to play rather than easier, at least for my style of playing.

marnold
April 22nd, 2013, 07:18 AM
Yeah, I'm with Spud on this. All you would seem to be accomplishing is making it harder to play and hastening the day you'd need a refret.

jtees4
April 22nd, 2013, 10:03 AM
I tend to like lower frets, but I would not change a guitar in that way (unless I was getting it re-fretted)...I'd just get a guitar with frets more like what I like.

Fretfingers123
April 30th, 2013, 06:35 AM
I'm getting it back tomorrow so will report back as to how it feels

Fretfingers123
May 7th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I really like it. Frets are shallower. Smoother. Sounds good, feels good

marnold
May 7th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Glad you like it . . . although I probably still wouldn't have done it. Would you mind me asking how much that procedure set you back?

stingx
May 9th, 2013, 08:19 PM
http://imgur.com/tCp90.gif