PDA

View Full Version : Bad Monkey Vs. TS-9...FIGHT!!

Rabies
December 29th, 2006, 04:55 PM
So I recently acquired a Bad Monkey and an Ibanez TS-9 at the same time in a trade, which reminds me, I need to update my sig now (I traded a guy from the HC forums my Squier '51 for a Bad Monkey, TS-9, and a Danelectro Hash Browns Flanger...all very minty...I thought it was a good deal).

Anyway, after playing both for quite a while now, I think the BM is the better pedal. This is just my opinion, of course. I know the TS-9 is so more highly revered than the Monk, and I can see why so many people swear by it. But I think that the Monkey is better. Lower price, little quieter, more flexible eq, just as solidly built, and it's green too.

My opinion: Bad Monkey is better than the Ibanez TS-9. There, I said it!

If this forum wasn't so civilized, I would now expect an all out online brawl to ensue. :D

Robert
December 29th, 2006, 05:24 PM
What the heck are you saying? You &!^&%$* ....... hahaha, just joking! :)

I have heard many people say they prefer the Monkey over the TS-9. The Monkey is a good pedal no doubt. For me however, the Maxon SD-9 makes my Monkey just sit there with a grumpy faceplate .... no bananas for it right now! But I will use the Monkey now and then, I know it, because I have gigged quite a bit with it and it worked really well. I'll probably use it as an extra OD when I need crazy gain.

Tone2TheBone
December 29th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Bad Monkay definately!

stingx
December 29th, 2006, 05:36 PM
I prefer the TS9 but it is a modded model from Keeley Electronics. There is no "better" or "worse" It all depends on what your ears like better. :R

Spudman
December 29th, 2006, 07:10 PM
My TS9 is from 1976 and modded by Analogman and my Monkey is stock.

I do think the Monkey is more versatile and a better bang for the buck, but there is something cool about the Tube Screamer that makes me keep using it. Besides the fact that it's hard mounted to my pedal board, I still use it because it sounds pretty groovy. I've had it so long maybe I've just become dependant and used to it. I won't get rid of it that's for sure.

The Monkey is pretty smooth too and you can really shape the tone (bass-treble) a lot more than you can with a Tube Screamer, and that's a great thing. I haven't had my Monkey the length of time that I've had the TS9 so I haven't put it through every test that the TS9 has endured, so I can't say that it's more durable or anything like that.

I don't really think one is better than the other. They are just different from each other and each get the job done pretty well. If I had to choose between the two....I'd probably head to the bar for a long communion with something that would alter my state of mind...then forget about the whole thing and just use what ever was presented for me to use. That's how close they are to me, and I would be comfortable using either.

bbuonomo
January 6th, 2007, 10:12 AM
I tried the bad monkey for a while, but the TS9 sounds better to me for some reason. I would agree the monkey may be more versatile, but if you put a
TS9 into a TS9 turbo, the possibilities are pretty much endless as to what you can do. The down side of that is you just spent $200.

duhvoodooman
January 6th, 2007, 10:53 AM
This is an extremely subjective thing, so much a matter of personal tastes. Something that I think is nearly indisputable, though, is that the Monk is a much better value; you can get a used one in nice condition off eBay in the $20 - $30 range. Used TS-9's will run you 3x that...

But if you have one of each, don't choose--use! Daisy chain 'em together and go freakin' crazy!! :D :DR

kerc
January 6th, 2007, 10:57 AM
You're not the first person I've read that says the BM is better. Robert, if you don't want that BM, you can sell it to me. :D

By the way, I ordered last week a Danelectro FAB Overdrive (only $11.95 at eBay!)...I expect it to be home next week.

;)

sunvalleylaw
January 12th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Monkey on the way, via USPS. Hope they put in air holes! Purchased used through Craigslist. Will be my second pedal after the Boss DS-1. For a TS-9 sort of thing, I hope to get one of DVM's a little later.

Robert
January 12th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I'm keeping da Monkey - I like the pedal lots, I'm just on a honeymoon with Ms. SD-9 right now...

Tone2TheBone
January 12th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I'm keeping da Monkey - I like the pedal lots, I'm just on a honeymoon with Ms. SD-9 right now...

..."don't you monkey with the monkey"....

love,

Peter Gabriel

sunvalleylaw
January 12th, 2007, 12:46 PM

You mean like the Huge Horny Honeymoon period, right!;)

Mark
January 12th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Boy Id like to try the Monkey but I got a TS-9 and I did the TS-808 mod and I also soldered a chip socket for different flavors to boot. I run the TS-9 before my Tonebone classic between those two Im just not sure what else I could squeeze out of the monkey tone wise that I cant already get. For the price I might get one just fer S&G.