PDA

View Full Version : NGD - 07/08 MIM Telecaster

Monkus
April 24th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Traded my Line6 Spider III 150 w/shortboard for this beauty. 2007/2008, according to the serial number, SD in the neck and DiMarzio Rails (corrected by the Rt Rev Rawk) in the bridge. Just got home with her and put her thru the TA-15. Sweet, plays nicely. A little hum on the neck and middle positions though and the pots are a bit scratchy. Any thoughts on how to fix those are welcome.

I wasn't using the Line6 at all, been furniture for about 5 years, put the trade to the guy and he loved the idea. First Tele I've ever played or owned so if someone can point me to any relevant posts here, it would be much appreciated. Time to get the twang on ....

Crappy mandatory first pic.
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff416/shawn296/FenderTele1.jpg (http://s1234.photobucket.com/user/shawn296/media/FenderTele1.jpg.html)

sunvalleylaw
April 24th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Sweet! Congrats! Don't worry about a little hum on the neck (and middle, which is really the neck still humming a little). It is all part of the single coil thang.

Tig
April 24th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Cool! I approve of this trade. :thumbsup
HNGD!

mrmudcat
April 25th, 2013, 02:49 AM
I approve that Tig approves this trade!! HNGD BROTHER!!!:socool

Katastrophe
April 25th, 2013, 06:11 AM
I approve that Muddy and Tig approve this trade! HNGD! Beautiful guitar, Monkus. Congratulations!

piebaldpython
April 25th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Sweet score, great trade especially since the Line 6 was just a dust collector anyway. You might want to spray some DeOxit on the pots, see if that reduces the scratchiness. As to the hum, don't know how handy you are, but you could see if the cavity is properly shielded and if not, see about taking care of that.

marnold
April 25th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Traded my Line6 Spider III 150 w/shortboard for this beauty. 2007/2008, according to the serial number, SD in the neck and DiMarzio P-Rails in the bridge.

Nice score!

Just to be pedantic, P-Rails is a humbucker-sized Duncan pickup. That is, however, one of the DiMarzio rails pickups. They've got five different kinds that all look the same. I've heard a lot of people speak highly of the Chopper T which is one of those.

Monkus
April 25th, 2013, 08:10 AM
That is, however, one of the DiMarzio rails pickups. P-Rails is a humbucker-sized Duncan pickup.

Got called on my telenewbness ... thanks though, and post corrected..

but you could see if the cavity is properly shielded

Taking it by a tech friend today, see what he thinks, intonation is off by a bit as well..

They've got five different kinds that all look the same.

I'll call the guy today to see which DiMarzio pup it is.

Thanks for the comments guys. Incidentally, I was working on a church album where the producers were gospel musicians from the US. After seeing the Gibbys, Carvins, Fenders and PRS's, they specifically asked for a Tele, which we didn't have. I now realise, that scenario fuelled this trade.

marnold
April 25th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Got called on my telenewbness ... thanks though, and post corrected..

Nah, I've just spent more time looking into pickups than any sane person ever should :messedup:

Tig
April 25th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Well, the vote is unanimous. Monkus stays on the island.

Um, I forgot... he's already on a real island! :o

Brian Krashpad
April 25th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Congrats. Approves of prior approvals. For scratchy pots, try "magic spray," or potentiometer/TV tuner cleaner spray, you can find it at Radio Shack and electronics places. Just spray into pot/onto shaft, twist the control around a bit, and that usually does the trick.

R_of_G
April 25th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Very nice Monkus! I always heartily endorse the acquisition of Telecasters. Play it in good health!