PDA

View Full Version : Clutch

Robert
April 29th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Listed as "Stoner Rock" on Amazon... they have a cool sound.

Buy the album here (http://amzn.to/11Qolsx).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oHsc5m7Rvc

ronbo
April 29th, 2013, 02:42 PM
I like it, sounds a little like Tool, maybe not quite as edgy...not sure I get the Stoner Rock label, but then again, I'm from an earlier generation when Stoner Rock was Pink Floyd, Tangerine Dream and Hawkwind, so I'm probably just old now...

marnold
April 29th, 2013, 06:12 PM
They remind me a bit of The Sword (not as heavy), which would also fall under the "Stoner Rock" label. As near as I can tell, "Stoner Rock" means any relatively heavy band that uses fuzz and talk at least somewhat about weed.

Eric
April 30th, 2013, 08:30 AM
They're one of Frankenfretter's favorite bands IIRC. I always knew stoner rock as Kyuss / QOTSA, so I generally assumed it was the droniness and downtuned guitars (without playing metal riffs) that defined that genre. To marnold's point though, I think heavy music with fuzz pedals has a lot to do with it too.

I've listened to a couple of their albums and liked them.

R_of_G
April 30th, 2013, 11:48 AM
They're one of Frankenfretter's favorite bands IIRC. I always knew stoner rock as Kyuss / QOTSA, so I generally assumed it was the droniness and downtuned guitars (without playing metal riffs) that defined that genre. To marnold's point though, I think heavy music with fuzz pedals has a lot to do with it too.

It's become another of those genre labels that once referred to something fairly specific (like the bands you cited) but now becomes a catch-all for many things with similar elements. Find any band that utilizes drones and/or fuzz boxes and somewhere there's a review that labels them "stoner rock."

At this point, everything may as well be labelled "post-everything."

...and talk at least somewhat about weed.

That's actually one element I've not encountered as a common aspect of bands that get that tag.

I've listened to a couple of their albums and liked them.

Their sound varies a bit from album to album but some of their stuff is quite good. In fact, some of the better stuff is really more outright blues-rock than stoner rock (by any of its varied definitions).