PDA

View Full Version : Trouble No More, ABB style

helliott
May 1st, 2013, 03:07 PM
Here's the thing on this tune: Tempo. This isn't the greatest clip -- I broke a string on the Strat and grabbed the LP, forgetting to dial it back enough, to it's too hot in the mix. But it will do to get your wisdom on tempo. We have tried it faster, and some in the band feel it's best, but I think it feels rushed, vocals, slide breaks, etc. So we slowed it down a tad to the tempo you hear here. (here here?) Some of us like it and others feel it drags a bit. We're too close to say for sure so if you have any thoughts on that they'd be appreciated. Sorry about the clams.

https://www.box.com/s/19ai96ufdfd0frqgoo2m

mrmudcat
May 1st, 2013, 04:32 PM
I don't think your to hot in your mix aleast on my chitty puter speakers! Live might be a different situation. The pacing was not bad at all albeit a little slow.:socool

piebaldpython
May 1st, 2013, 06:01 PM
I like the tempo......if anything the slide seems a bit "rushed" in the first minute. "Rushed" in the sense of wanting to get at the brief solos in between verses. Having said that, the slide really cooks with a righteous amount of "skydiving" throughout the song. Damn, you guys rock. Just love hearing you guys play.

Just wonderin'......but any chance do you guys play Oh Atlanta by Little Feat? If you do, I'd LOVE to hear a clip of that. :dance

helliott
May 1st, 2013, 06:49 PM
Dude, you nailed something here and I appreciate it. I am cutting off the notes too soon, and playing too many. I have thought that before, but you really crystalized it. It's a big help. As for Oh Atlanta, hadn't thought of it, but it's a great idea, I owe you some beers and thanks for both these observations.

mrmudcat
May 1st, 2013, 08:43 PM
Pie you beat me to it came on to make some better observations but you have said it better than i could of!!

piebaldpython
May 2nd, 2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks Mud. Let me be clear here and say that my comments about Helliot's playing are very minor critiques......and I will also add that I'd damn near give my left nut to be able to play slide as well as he does. :what

helliott
May 2nd, 2013, 03:59 PM
No worries pbp. My skin isn't that thin. And besides you're right. And I appreciate the feedback.

Jipes
May 7th, 2013, 06:18 AM
To my ears it sound really good, good balance and a nice feeling, I love the way you respond to the voice without stepping on each other toe, that's pretty rare many guitar players seems to play for their own without respecting the singer.

As for your slide playing I love it, would as you point it out play less from time to time but let the notes resonate more: I had a closer look on Ry cooder playing slide and I found that when he runs into a note wher he is putting some emphasis he lets the bottleneck go little bit more freely and add more vibrato that's quite hard to do but could be a nice addition to your great playing

helliott
May 7th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Thanks, Jipes. Good advice -- a Cooder trick would be worth trying to master for sure.