PDA

View Full Version : Post a band you have rediscovered.

sunvalleylaw
May 12th, 2013, 07:08 PM
What old band or artist are you listening to that you had not in a while?

For me, it is Heart. Right now I am going back to near the beginning and listening to the Little Queen album.

I had dumped Heart along with most of that style of rock when I found punk. Now I am enjoying it again

Robert
May 12th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Weather Report.

Zip
May 12th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Ah, Jaco!

I need to learn some Blue Cheer and Mott the Hoople (don't ask why - yes, it's for 2 different bands). Small Faces, too.

Tig
May 13th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Thanks to you Fretters, I've rediscovered many bands and artists that I passed by from either ignorance or because I dismissed them since was focused on other musical styles. The list is embarrassingly large!
Just a few highlights:
Joe Strummer And The Mescaleros
Neko Case
Warren Haynes
Joe Bonamassa
Steve Earle
Drive-By Truckers
Jason Isbell And The 400 Unit
Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree
The Black Keys
Spock's Beard
...and more that I'm forgetting...

R_of_G
May 13th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks to you Fretters, I've rediscovered many bands and artists that I passed by from either ignorance or because I dismissed them since was focused on other musical styles. The list is embarrassingly large!
Just a few highlights:
Joe Strummer And The Mescaleros
Neko Case
Warren Haynes
Joe Bonamassa
Steve Earle
Drive-By Truckers
Jason Isbell And The 400 Unit
Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree
The Black Keys
Spock's Beard
...and more that I'm forgetting...

I take pride in helping direct your focus back onto some of these.

Personally, I've been rediscovering a lot of artists for myself as I introduce my daughter to their music. Recently she's helped me remember why it is I love Paul Simon so much.

piebaldpython
May 13th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Let's see, over the past few weeks....an audio blues-fest:
Luther Allison
Albert Collins
Coco Montoya
Susan Tedeschi (pre-Derek Trucks)
Debbie Davies
Sue Foley
Joanna Connor
Shannon Curfman

If anyone wants a specific CD reference, I can supply that if need be.

NWBasser
May 13th, 2013, 04:43 PM
What old band or artist are you listening to that you had not in a while?

For me, it is Heart. Right now I am going back to near the beginning and listening to the Little Queen album.

I had dumped Heart along with most of that style of rock when I found punk. Now I am enjoying it again

I also love listening to Heart, although I never really stopped. Steve Fossen is an incredibly talented bass player if you pay attention to what he's doing.

I guess I've been rediscovering Iron Maiden lately.

marnold
May 13th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Graham Central Station. I got their new album and I like it. I've got to dig into some of the old stuff now.

R_of_G
May 14th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Graham Central Station. I got their new album and I like it. I've got to dig into some of the old stuff now.

Larry Graham is the man. He remains one of only two bass players that are the exception to my "no slapping" preference.

guitarhack
May 14th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Humble Pie, Uriah Heep, and old bands from the 60s that just fell short of major stardom have been getting my attention lately. Bands like the Standells, 13th Floor Elevators, etc.

Tig
May 14th, 2013, 02:11 PM
There are a few that I let pass by, mostly because of radio over play or early MTV saturation.
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -They created so many great songs that never got radio play, you can enjoy their huge library of deep tracks. Their Live Anthology album is a must have.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d7/TomPettyLiveAnthology.jpg/220px-TomPettyLiveAnthology.jpg

R_of_G
May 14th, 2013, 04:18 PM
There are a few that I let pass by, mostly because of radio over play or early MTV saturation.
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -They created so many great songs that never got radio play, you can enjoy their huge library of deep tracks. Their Live Anthology album is a must have.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d7/TomPettyLiveAnthology.jpg/220px-TomPettyLiveAnthology.jpg

+1

I had put Petty on the shelf for a long time because I felt I'd heard it all so many times. In the last year or so I've started listening again and I'm getting much more out of it than I ever had. Part of that is sharing the music with my kid, part of it is just hearing it again after giving it room to breathe.

mrmudcat
May 14th, 2013, 08:37 PM
J.J. Grey & Mofro!!!

Tunes are a van Morrison remake tupelo honey (choice cuts) and a tune the sun is shining down from (country ghetto)!!!!!!!!

Zip
May 14th, 2013, 08:45 PM
I saw JJ & Mofro in a small club here last year. They either opened for Dickie Betts & Great Southern, or it was 2 seperate nights at the same club. I forget. Either way, both were very impressive! Great musicianship and tons of fun. JJ is really personable.

Spudman
May 18th, 2013, 02:12 PM
JoJo Gunne - The band featured Jay Ferguson (Thunder Island) and Mark Andes (Spirit).

I listened to them a lot in 75-76. Some pretty catch, yet edgy, stuff for back then. I just recently re-discovered them, and this album, and it still resonates well with me. I was in my mid teens when this came out, and was coming into manhood, so the memories are strong.

http://www.mihamazzini.com/plosce/images/gunne0.jpg

The full image when the alubm was completely open. Some say this contrubuted for the lack of sales or success.
http://www.mihamazzini.com/plosce/images/gunne.jpg