PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried a Zoom G series or M-Audio Black Box?

jasongins
December 30th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Has anyone tried either the M-Audio Black Box or any of the newer Zoom G series (G1, G2)? I am a beginner with a Squier '51 thanks to Robert's review and I'm looking for a little tonal variety in my practicing.

SuperSwede
December 31st, 2006, 03:12 AM
Hello Jasongins,

I would stay away from the Black Box. It does have some useful rhythms, but as a modeler it doesnt deliver what you would get from VOX or Line6. I know that there are a couple of happy Zoom users here, but in my opinion you would be better off with either a POD2 (not very expensive) or a PODxt/Vox Tonelab (a little more cash, but worth every pesetas).
If you plan to only play at home, you could get away with a software amp modeler such as Native Instruments Guitar Combos which is a great beginner bundle that will give you 3 classic tube amps and a amp-like user interface. All these options will get you a better sound than the Black Box, and there is nothing as inspiring as playing with good sounds.
You can check out my thread on GC here:
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=16506#post16506

jasongins
December 31st, 2006, 08:19 AM
Thanks for your input. One of the things that attracts me to the Zoom G2, aside from positive customer reviews, is the rythym function. How useful/important is a rythm function in terms of practicing?

Robert
December 31st, 2006, 09:32 AM
I'll have to jump in here and say practicing with rhythm track is VERY IMPORTANT - it's the key to becoming a great player. Nothing is more important in my opinion than being able to play well in time with a song.

You can of course by some separate rhythm tool regardless, there are lots of drum machines out there that are good.

Hogfullofblues
December 31st, 2006, 10:12 AM
Hey Jason
2 cents worth from another newbie:
Playing along with some kind of rhythm is hugely important and should be at the top of every newbies list (right after "get a guitar"). I wish I would have figured that out and a way to do it from the beginning.
Playing an electric guitar that sounds and behaves like one is also important for learning technique type things, and is a great motivator. The cool thing about modelers is it seems like most every device at every price point has it's positive reviews, and there are many device types and methods to choose from. So there is something out there for everybody. Modeling ROCKS!
Having said that, and researching these things for months, I must agree with SS that the PODxt is at the top of the heap for those whose situation it fits. Portable, usable at home or live, connects to anything, USB and internal sound card/driver for computer/recording (no latency, no sound card issues), thousands of pre-programmed tones just a few clicks away, has a simple drum pattern function (upgradeable), comes with software for automatic updates, importing backing tacks to play along with, tone editing, and all this interfaces with computer based recording programs. I could go on, but in the couple of months I have had one, I have yet to create any tones yet have a few hundred killer ones stored. Have yet to scratch the surface and have not plugged into my amp since I got it.
Yea, the $299 price tag may be a bit steep, but it is worth it (IMHO). 3 weeks on ebay revealed used ones going for well over $200 and I did find new ones as low as $258/$265 shipped (2 factory auth dealer/stores). Funny, cause used ones were going for close to the same.
Whatever you decide, if you have a Guitar Center store you can get to, consider visiting them, and then work them down on their price. I have no idea if this the same at every one, but the GC near me wheels and deals like there is no tomorrow. I got the Podxt for $200 out the door and similar deals on everything else I bought there, which is almost everything I own.
Good luck on your quest,
Hog

tot_Ou_tard
December 31st, 2006, 10:13 AM
I'll have to jump in here and say practicing with rhythm track is VERY IMPORTANT - it's the key to becoming a great player. Nothing is more important in my opinion than being able to play well in time with a song.

You can of course by some separate rhythm tool regardless, there are lots of drum machines out there that are good.
I'll agree. I'm progressing so much faster since I got my RC-2 looper. I often just use the drum beats on it. Now even when I am not using it, I am in time. I was all over the place before.

jasongins
December 31st, 2006, 05:37 PM
Hog,

Thanks for the insight. I was looking at the information and users manual for the PODxt at the line6 site, but I don't see any reference to a rythym function. Are you certain it has it?

Also, not to get too far off topic, but I happened to be at Sam Ash today and saw NPauly's Squire M-80....wow! Only $199?!! I am not an impulsive person, but I was drooling over the gloss black version and this intense desire came over me. I was trying to justify to myself in any way possible why I should get one. In the end, I just hurried myself out of the store before I did any damage to my wallet.

NPauly
December 31st, 2006, 06:23 PM
Hog,

Thanks for the insight. I was looking at the information and users manual for the PODxt at the line6 site, but I don't see any reference to a rythym function. Are you certain it has it? Also, not to get too far off topic, but I happened to be at Sam Ash today and saw your Squire M-80....wow! Only $199?!! I am not an impulsive person, but I was drooling over the gloss black version and this intense desire came over me. I was trying to justify to myself in any way possible why I should get one. In the end, I just hurried myself out of the store before I did any damage to my wallet.

I just bought a new Squier M-80 myself. At $199 for a $450 to $500 guitar how could you go wrong? ;)

SuperSwede
January 1st, 2007, 02:44 AM
Jasongins, you could also use your computer for rhythm backings. Either use a backing track or a drum-machine application. There are a few free ones.
As for a hardware jam partner, check out the Boss JS-5:
http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/JS-5/
Its discontinued so you can probably get a good deal if you find a dealer that still has it.

Lev
January 1st, 2007, 05:06 AM
I absolutely love my Zoom G2.1u. It's probably my best purchase of the last 12 months. It's so much more than an amp modeler, I find some of the models very usable (with tweaking), but I also know of some guitarists who use it purely for it's FX and turn off the models. If you are buying it exclusively for the drum machine then I'd say it may not be for you, the rhythm patterns are somewhat limited and sterile sounding. I agree that you're probably better to get a seperate drum machine or drum software. The Zoom G2.1u model does come with Cubase LE, so you can use the zoom as a USB recording interface on your PC, record using Cubase and download a drum VST plugin and away you go!

I also have a PODxt which is also fantastic if you have some extra cash to spare. I didn't know you could get a drum pattern add on for it? If you are a registered POD owner you can download RiffWorks for free which is a basic PC recording interface with some rhythm patterns.

Hogfullofblues
January 1st, 2007, 07:42 AM
The rhythm function on the Pod is accessed in the Gearbox software you get to download free once you buy and register the Pod. They call it Metronome and it is fairly basic and simple. It has 14 pre-stored patterns (some pretty useless), but is fully programmable so you can make up and save your own. I'm pretty sure you have to have the Pod connected to your PC to use it. Here is a screenshot.

http://www.box.net/public/lhp36a1do6

I read there are upgrades you can buy for it, but it is not like a real drum machine. I only tried it once since the same Gearbox software will import MP3s, WAVs or any song off a CD to play along with and has a looping and half speed function. If you are looking for a great sounding and full featured drum/rhythm machine this aint it, but it will keep time and give you some variations.

I didn't know riffworks was free! I'll be checking that out shortly.

tot_Ou_tard
January 1st, 2007, 07:54 AM
Th rhythm function on the RC-2 is also pretty simple. That's all I need right now. Those drum machines look very confusing, but it makes me wonder. Is there a stomp box drum machine with several buttons & foot pedals so you can add fills & trigger beat changes in real time?