PDA

View Full Version : Holy !%#?$@!....

duhvoodooman
December 30th, 2006, 09:52 PM
....it works!! And first time I plugged into it, too!

I'm referring to the "Build Your Own Clone" TS-808 Tube Screamer overdrive pedal kit (http://www.buildyourownclone.com/screamer.html) I bought & built. If you have decent soldering skills and you can follow directions, you can do it, too. Lots of fun, I might add, if you're a little on the geeky side, like me.

It even comes with two different IC chips--the stock TS-808's JRC4558D and a "high fidelity" RC4558P chip that several of the "boutique" pedal makers use--and an IC socket so that you can swap 'em at will.

The thing sounds great; plenty of grind on tap, but without sounding harsh or grainy. Very impressive.

Here are some pix and a couple of clips. I haven't painted/labeled the casing yet, but will probably get to that at some point. The clips were recorded using my LP and my Strat, played through the Tweed 4x10 model on my AD30VT. Gain setting on the amp was just under half, so that it would stay fairly clean. The LP clip has three pairs of riffs--the first in each pair is without the TS clone, and the second with it. I finished up the clip with the start of my latest EVH learning project, the first part of Panama.

For the Strat clip, I played the lead-in to SRV's Pride & Joy, first clean, then with the TS clone at about 60% gain, then a third time at full gain.

LP Clip (http://duhvoodooman.com/audio_clips/TS808_Clone_LP.mp3)

Strat Clip (http://duhvoodooman.com/audio_clips/TS808_Clone_Strat.mp3)

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/TS_Clone.jpg

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/TS_Clone_guts.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
December 30th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Way freakin' cool Vood! I was just going to dig up that ol' BYOC thread & ask if you had made any progress.

You did a nice clean job & holy $@#%^^$ it sounds great.

Do you have any design plans for the box?

Cause y'know...if *I* had a vote...

I'd call it Mojo Hand.

I can just see you going into the boutique pedal biz:

Voodoo Pedals!

Robert
December 30th, 2006, 10:02 PM
That is great, VDM. It's so fun to make your own stuff, and of course especially when it works really great too. Congrats.

Now you gotta paint it in some fun colors! Take a look at www.drscientist.ca for inspiration.... hehe... or not.

sunvalleylaw
December 30th, 2006, 10:52 PM
That is really cool! How good at soldering do you have to be? I am not, but I can learn.

SuperSwede
December 31st, 2006, 03:01 AM
Sounds great DVM, but the "Voodoo Screamer" needs some yellow paint!

tot_Ou_tard
December 31st, 2006, 06:40 AM
Ooops, I forgot that there already is a company called Voodoo Lab which makes pedals.

ted s
December 31st, 2006, 11:35 AM
Very cool DVM, nice paying as well !. Yup, gotta name that puppy and give the case some flash.... I like tot's mojo reference.. maybe .. " Voodoo Mojo Box " you can paint it red and glue some chicken bones on it.

duhvoodooman
December 31st, 2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback & name ideas, guys. Some really good ones there, plus I thought up a couple, too. Maybe I can prevail upon on of our gracious admins to set up a poll for me, and all you Fretters could vote on which name you like best!

So far, here's what I've got:

Mojo Hand (Tot)

Voodoo Screamer (SS)

Voodoo Mojo Box (ted s)

And a couple of my own:

Duh Voodoolizer

Voodoo Blue-Do

Witch Doctor

Any more to add to the list?

ted s
December 31st, 2006, 12:30 PM
Voodoo Screamer... (with chicken bones of course)

warren0728
December 31st, 2006, 12:35 PM
i've seen t-shirts with a mojo hand logo...so that's taken....
http://www.mojohand.com/2alrightm.htm

and of course voodoo itself is already taken....so.....

How about combining voodoo and mojo and call it a vooJo?

ww

stingx
December 31st, 2006, 02:57 PM
I just listened to your clips and I have to tip my hat off to you. I think you did an excellent job putting that pedal together and it sounds great to these ears. I never heard of these kits until your post and you've gotten me awfully curious now to try my had at building one. Please post back again with pictures of how you painted the pedal. I'd like to see the finished product.

tot_Ou_tard
December 31st, 2006, 05:25 PM
Very cool DVM, nice paying as well !. Yup, gotta name that puppy and give the case some flash.... I like tot's mojo reference.. maybe .. " Voodoo Mojo Box " you can paint it red and glue some chicken bones on it.

Chicken head knobs....*REAL* chicken heads!!!

OK, OK, but go with ted_s & use bones for knobs.

At the very least Vood, label the gain knob

"Mojo"

And under that put an arrow with the word "more" in the direction of "more Mojo".

You can dial in just the right amount of Mojo & when you need more Mojo, well then you've got it on tap.

Any more to add to the list?
If we had a vote....

duhvoodooman
December 31st, 2006, 06:24 PM
Thanks, StingX.

For any of you who might be inclined to try one of these kits, I recommend them highly, but realize that they involve a LOT of fine soldering work. Every resistor, capacitor, diode, transistor, etc. that you see on that green PCB had to be soldered into place, as well as every wire. The board is set up nicely with small metal eyelets for every solder point. The toughest part is the very small size of the space you have to work with. I just took my time and double checked every solder joint that I did, and everything worked out fine. But be forewarned--THIS IS NOT A GOOD PROJECT FOR LEARNING TO SOLDER!!

In addition to giving you two slightly different IC chips, they also give you (1) two different kinds of diodes so, that you can alter the stock symmetrical clipping mode to different degrees of assymetrical clipping, and (2) two different capacitors for one of the board's cap positions, which alter the tone. The stock cap (0.047 uf) gives a midrange "hump" that is apparently characteristic of the original TS-808, and the second (0.22 uf) flattens out the frequency response some and gives significantly stronger bass.

The difference between the two IC's is quite subtle, to my ears, with the stock chip being a bit sharper in its tone than the "hi-fi" chip that's also included. The stock chip has a little more aggressive edge to it that I prefer.

I went with the most assymetrical clipping that I could get from the two types of diodes provided, after reading that the assymetric clipping was (a) more tube-like in character, and (b) SRV preferred it! :D Reading through the BYOC forum, the most common mods of the TS-808 clone involve mounting different types of diodes (including yellow LED's!) on a small piece of perfboard (available at Radio Shack) and wiring them up to a 3-position DPDT toggle switch, allowing you to switch between clipping modes. I may try that at some point, but I'm happy with the sound I've got for now.

I initially installed the larger cap for the stronger bass response (that's what you hear in the first clips I posted), but I decided after playing through it for a couple of hours that it was too bassy/boomy, so I switched to the smaller stock cap today. Much stronger midrange! And since the guitar is basically a midrange instrument (at least it is, the way I like to hear it!), I think it sounds much better. The big cap definitely tended toward muddiness on chords down at the end of the neck. A cap of a rating in between the two (like 0.10 uf) would be interesting to try; might give a nice compromise between the two extremes. I may very well try that.

Posted below is a link to a clip I recorded to show the difference between the two IC's (listen carefully!) and between the two caps (very obvious). These are recorded with my Epi Dot on the bridge p'up through my Vox AD30VT, using the Tweed 4x10 model and some reverb. The same riffs are repeated four times. The sequence of hardware is:

RC4558P IC + 0.22 uf cap
JRC4558D IC (stock) + 0.22 uf cap
JRC4558D IC (stock) + 0.047 uf cap (stock)
RC4558P IC + 0.047 uf cap (stock)

Take a listen & see what you think:

http://duhvoodooman.com/audio_clips/TS_Clone_test.mp3

duhvoodooman
December 31st, 2006, 06:32 PM
Chicken head knobs....*REAL* chicken heads!!!
LOL!! :D Now that would get some attention!

OK, OK, but go with ted_s & use bones for knobs.
Cool idea. Know anybody who sells bone knobs??

At the very least Vood, label the gain knob "Mojo"
Now, that's a keeper of an idea!

If we had a vote....
Hey, this time you do! And the other Fretters, too!

sunvalleylaw
December 31st, 2006, 07:47 PM
Sounds like if I want the TS 808 unit like yours, I might be better off getting it assembled for $115.00 ;-)

Katastrophe
December 31st, 2006, 08:52 PM
How about "Duh Voodoo Stomp?"

Looks great, DVM. I wish I had the soldering talent that you have!:D

tot_Ou_tard
January 1st, 2007, 07:50 AM
Mojo Screamer.

& the light'll tell you if your mojo's workin'.

Turning up the mojo gets your mojo risin'.

For the geeks in the house.

Tube Screamer's Secret:

http://www.bteaudio.com/articles/TSS/TSS.html

The Technology of the Tube Screamer:

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/TStech/tsxtech.htm

Hogfullofblues
January 1st, 2007, 08:33 AM
Man, sweet tones and the build just looks super professional!

I like Da Voodoolizer! How about some glow in the dark skull knobs?

http://www.customshopparts.com/knobs/

stingx
January 1st, 2007, 09:53 AM
Sounds like if I want the TS 808 unit like yours, I might be better off getting it assembled for $115.00 ;-)

I originally thought that since these DIY units are already priced at $75 bucks that to spend a few more to get one already built is a no brainer. I paid under $100 for my TS9 and then another $45 bucks to have it modified at keeley electronics. I think though, that this is not really about money, it's more to hone skills and the ability to take this to another level. I have an interest because I like experimenting with tone and would love to mutate these projects into something else that you can't buy off the rack. Plus the satisfaction one gets after completing the build is a nice feeling. Good on you, duhvoodooman. I really like how it ended up and the sound is great.

duhvoodooman
January 1st, 2007, 10:17 AM
For the geeks in the house.
Now, who the heck would that be??? :confused: ;)

The ~10% of that TS technology article that I could understand was extremely interesting. I was stunned to read how incredibly similar all of the various Tube Screamer models actually are. The basic circuit design is the same, with the differences being in a small number of the components used.

For example, consider how the Ibanez TS-9 reissue pedal goes for $100, while the TS-808 reissue will set you back $170. The difference? Well, from what I read, they will almost certainly contain the same "opamp" IC chip, the JRC4558D. So their sum total difference is two (2!) resistors on the output buffer stage, which cost Ibanez less than a penny apiece. Find them on the PCB (many web references available for this) and replace them with the appropriate resistor ratings for the TS-808 and you just saved yourself $70. Better yet, find a good condition used TS-9 on eBay for $70 or so, and you'll save yourself a C-note! Eye-opening, huh? :eek:

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2007, 10:19 AM
I originally thought that since these DIY units are already priced at $75 bucks that to spend a few more to get one already built is a no brainer. I paid under $100 for my TS9 and then another $45 bucks to have it modified at keeley electronics. I think though, that this is not really about money, it's more to hone skills and the ability to take this to another level. I have an interest because I like experimenting with tone and would love to mutate these projects into something else that you can't buy off the rack. Plus the satisfaction one gets after completing the build is a nice feeling. Good on you, duhvoodooman. I really like how it ended up and the sound is great.

I completely agree for him or for anyone with any skills. But based on what Voodoo was saying, this is not a good learning project for a beginner. I haven't soldered anything since I was in high school or maybe even jr. high. After I am done coaching skiing for the year, I may look on the site for an easier project to learn on.

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2007, 10:24 AM
Now, who the heck would that be??? :confused: ;)

Find them on the PCB (many web references available for this) and replace them with the appropriate resistor ratings for the TS-808 and you just saved yourself $70. Better yet, find a good condition used TS-9 on eBay for $70 or so, and you'll save yourself a C-note! Eye-opening, huh? :eek:

Now maybe that is a project I could handle. BTW, I vote DaVoodolizer with labeling the gain knob Mojo.:D

EDIT: For FYI, my first two pedals, which should arrive in the next week or two, will be the Boss DS-1 and the Bad Monkey.

ZoSo65
January 1st, 2007, 11:17 AM
Nice job DVD :DR
I like VooDoo Screamer
or
VooTube Screamer,,,hehe

duhvoodooman
January 1st, 2007, 11:21 AM
If your objective is to end up with an "original specs" TS-808 clone at a very reasonable price, a great way to go would be to find a good used TS-9 (these commonly go for $60 - $80 range on eBay) and then change two resistors on the output stage, as described in that Geofex.com article that Tot posted the link for. That keeps the amount of soldering to a bare minimum, and you can get the required resistors at Mouser.com for a few pennies each (I have all the part numbers). If you still don't want to try it, I'll bet you know somebody who knows how to solder and would do this small job for you. Heck, I'd do it for you myself, as long as you covered mailing costs to & from.

I think though, that this is not really about money, it's more to hone skills and the ability to take this to another level. I have an interest because I like experimenting with tone and would love to mutate these projects into something else that you can't buy off the rack. Plus the satisfaction one gets after completing the build is a nice feeling.
EXACTLY, Sting! Much more of a motivating factor for me than the price was (1) the learning experience of building my own pedal from scratch, (2) the challenge and enjoyment of the build itself, and (3) the ability to tweak/modify the pedal to achieve different tones and end up with an "all my own" finished product. I may yet order a couple of additional compatible opamps to try in the IC socket, and I'm almost certainly going to try an in-between capacitor on the clipping input to give a compromise between the stock midrange "hump" and the overly boomy bass I got with the 0.22 uf cap. I may even delve into a switchable clipping mode modification. The possibilities are almost limitless! :D

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2007, 11:32 AM
I\

EXACTLY, Sting! Much more of a motivating factor for me than the price was (1) the learning experience of building my own pedal from scratch, (2) the challenge and enjoyment of the build itself, and (3) the ability to tweak/modify the pedal to achieve different tones and end up with an "all my own" finished product. . . . The possibilities are almost limitless! :D

I would love to build the pedal myself, for all the reasons above. I especially like the swappable IC socket thing. I was just not sure about handling it as a first project. I will have a Bad Monkey shortly, so may just find an easier starter project to learn some skills and wait on the TS 808 project. Since I am involved with the Scouts, learning could be part of a scout project. (Now who's the nerd ;) )

warren0728
January 1st, 2007, 11:37 AM
ISince I am involved with the Scouts, learning could be part of a scout project. (Now who's the nerd ;) )
i guess i am....i'm involved with scouts too! My kid is only 10 but i think he is going to stick with it....i like the scout project idea!

ww

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2007, 11:48 AM
i guess i am....i'm involved with scouts too! My kid is only 10 but i think he is going to stick with it....i like the scout project idea!

ww

My 9 year old guitarist son is a Cub, as is my 6 year old. A pedal may be a bit advanced but I am sure we can come up with a beginner project where we will all learn together. BTW, his Pinewood Derby car was Pack champion last year!!

warren0728
January 1st, 2007, 12:02 PM
seems we have a lot in common....my 10 year old is learning guitar too and the first year we entered the pinewood derby (as a first year tiger cub) his car had the fastest time of the entire pack!

ww

Spudman
January 1st, 2007, 01:49 PM
"Chicken Bones" That's what you should call it.

Chicken bones. Conferring with spirits and ethereal deities. Visions of graveyard rituals. These are the images movies and superstition have conjured about the practitioners of the religion of voodoo, or Vodoun.
African Bone Readings - Divining tools are used in spiritual readings to bring insight and look into the future. The voodoo priest or priestess "throws the bones," reading the future according to the bones' position in relation to each other. The bones symbolize human characters, the family, and the positive or negative forces influencing their lives. Red stones represent negative forces of the underworld. Brown stones represent wisdom and perception.

You could make the knobs to look like stones.

"Now introducing the hot new Chicken Bones overdrive pedal from Voodoo Electronics."

Spudman
January 1st, 2007, 01:51 PM
I would love to build the pedal myself, for all the reasons above. I especially like the swappable IC socket thing. I was just not sure about handling it as a first project. I will have a Bad Monkey shortly, so may just find an easier starter project to learn some skills and wait on the TS 808 project. Since I am involved with the Scouts, learning could be part of a scout project. (Now who's the nerd ;) )

Get the scouts to put some together for you. Make it a merit badge project and sell all but one. Then you'll have yours and some extra money to take the troop to the Sun Valley On Ice Burlesque Show.:D

warren0728
January 1st, 2007, 02:07 PM

Chicken bones. Conferring with spirits and ethereal deities. Visions of graveyard rituals. These are the images movies and superstition have conjured about the practitioners of the religion of voodoo, or Vodoun.

i like it.....very cool name

ww

tot_Ou_tard
January 1st, 2007, 04:07 PM

I vote for this !

ted s
January 1st, 2007, 05:03 PM
Voodoo Chik'n Mojo Modulator !! ??

ted s
January 1st, 2007, 05:05 PM
Get the scouts to put some together for you. Make it a merit badge project and sell all but one. Then you'll have yours and some extra money to take the troop to the Sun Valley On Ice Burlesque Show.:D

"CAPITAL" plan !! make as many as you can sell.. that's a great idea..

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2007, 05:18 PM
"CAPITAL" plan !! make as many as you can sell.. that's a great idea..

Ka-ching! Now to get the skilled "assistant" to help with all the hard stuff. :)

ted s
January 1st, 2007, 05:22 PM
I could be your "authorized" Canadian distributor. You can use a name that DVM doesn't choose. Instead of chicken bones you may need to use squirrel tales or duck feet to keep with in the scout/cub theme.

tot_Ou_tard
January 1st, 2007, 05:49 PM
I could be your "authorized" Canadian distributor. You can use a name that DVM doesn't choose. Instead of chicken bones you may need to use squirrel tales or duck feet to keep with in the scout/cub theme.
Vood, the masses are already clamoring for clones of your clone!!!

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2007, 05:54 PM
Vood, the masses are already clamoring for clones of your clone!!!

Yep, we proles have gas!!

sunvalleylaw
January 2nd, 2007, 02:10 PM
I just found this site that discusses basic pedal building.

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Library/1355/beginners.html

I also surfed the BYOC site and they have a forum as well. I think I will tackle one of these pedals at some point down the road. :-)

ted s
January 2nd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Giver Steve, you can do it.

F_BSurfer
January 7th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Nice work DVM pedal sounds great
Someone that is wanting a ts-808 spec pedal might try an Boss Sd-1 you can get this pedal pretty cheap on ebay I paid $17 for mine then bought the monte 808 mod $24.00 http://www.monteallums.com/Product_links.html#SD1
I have the brown chip in mine right now and think this is the best so far a little cleaner and more defined
I've also put his H2O mod to the boss blues driver and this is a truely a great pedal now
Out of the some 30 or so pedals I have these are the only two I use or need

Oldslowhand
January 7th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I found this review and thought it might be of some use to get some Idea of how a od pedal works. There are some sound clips and foto's I think I might get the behringer ....£17 ! cheap enough to experiment with :rolleyes:

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?session=9a1093ac5e98b7b3ac22f344e3cd8 118&Cat=&Number=221049&Main=207733

marnold
January 7th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I found this review and thought it might be of some use to get some Idea of how a od pedal works. There are some sound clips and foto's I think I might get the behringer ....£17 ! cheap enough to experiment with :rolleyes:
I saw that review before I got my TO800. It was the final push over the edge for me to buy it. I've been very happy with mine, although I've never tested it against a TS808.

duhvoodooman
January 8th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Well, I know I've been pretty quiet here in my own thread for the past few days. That's because I've been busy researching....MODS!! Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!! Gonna make a "frankenscreamer" out of this puppy! I don't hear any jaws dropping in surprise out there.... ;) :D

I don't want to clog up this thread any more, so I've posted my evil plan for world TS pedal domination HERE (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2230).

BTW, Spuds, I think your "Chicken Bones" idea was inspired, but as my mod plan has unfolded, a new name for the modified pedal came to me, and will not be denied. Read the referenced posting, and you'll see where I'm going with this.....