PDA

View Full Version : So what was your best gear purchase in 2006?

Robert
December 31st, 2006, 12:03 PM
What guitar gear purchase in 2006 are you the most happy with?

For me, I think it was the Lexicon LXP-1. The Maxon SD-9 is a close second, but having really good reverb is truly a joy. If I gigged more, the SD-9 would be the number one purchase, but I haven't had so many gigs this year.

ted s
December 31st, 2006, 12:34 PM
After not playing for almost 20yrs. any purchase tha keeps me motivated is a good one. Only one I wasn't 100% with was the Boss Micro BR. Great machine but too complicated compared to my true wants and requirements. I'll probably take it back.

This forum has also been a grea motivator, I think I like it here..:p

DaveO
December 31st, 2006, 01:06 PM
Roland Cube 60. I know we have alot of Vox users her but I love my Cube.
Dave

Hogfullofblues
December 31st, 2006, 01:43 PM
Even though I purchased everything in 2006, the hands down winner has to be the POD. That thing just opened up so many doors for me and is over the top in every good way. The '51 is close second though! Heck, I think I would be happy with just these two items. Did I say that? What was I thinking!

marnold
December 31st, 2006, 04:54 PM
Well, this year I've gotten my TO800, EX-7, and '51. I can't remember if I got the Vox footswitch this year or last. I'd have to say that the big winner for me is the TO800. I use it almost all of the time for both blues (with the Vox's Blackface or Tweed models) and metal tones (with the UK70s). And of those three purchases, this one was by far the cheapest. Go figure.

Katastrophe
December 31st, 2006, 04:56 PM
I think y'all know what my favorite purchase is for this year....;) :D

tot_Ou_tard
December 31st, 2006, 05:22 PM
VOX Tonelab.

I wouldn't be able to play any time of day or night without it.

I also get to make mistakes in the privacy of my own head. My wife would probably have killed me by now from the sheer boredom of listening to me play bits of songs over & over & over & over.....

...& over & ...

...& over & over & over & over & ...

duhvoodooman
December 31st, 2006, 06:41 PM
My Epi Dot. You can get burned on eBay, but sometimes you find a real gem. $325 for a mint condition used guitar, with a hardshell case and the neck p'up already upgraded to a Duncan SH-2 Jazz. I dropped an SH-4 JB into the bridge, bought a few push/pull pots and wired 'em up all crazy, and I have a freakin' tone machine here!! :DR :cool:

sunvalleylaw
December 31st, 2006, 07:49 PM
Hands down, my 60th Anniversary Standard Strat! Hardly fair though, it was my First electric guitar purchase. :D :D :D :D

SuperSwede
January 1st, 2007, 02:37 AM
Its probably my Schecter C1 Elite, its fantastic.

NPauly
January 1st, 2007, 03:35 AM
My top three for the year (in no particular order) ...

-- Traynor YCV20WR (http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=1&cat=18&id=251)

Vox'ish tone; super versatile eq, gain, and volume; headphone out
Most reviewers claim it can only do a blues crunch, but I've come to firmly believe that people need to play with their settings more because it can do way more than blues drive -- the eq, gain, and master volumes are extremely versatile (much more so than is typical) and I'm starting to think that people set everything at noon and expect killer tone.

-- Roland Micro Cube (http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=594)

Battery powered; very nice selection of amp models; fun built in effects
I guess I'm finding that I am pretty much a Vox guy because I spend most of my time on the "Brit Combo" setting, but the "JC Clean" and "R-Fier" models would definitely be tied for a close second in my book. The built in effects arn't perfect, sometimes I wish they had a little finer adjustment, but for being right at my fingertips when the mood strikes they can't be beat.

-- Squier M-80 (http://www.squierguitars.com/products/index.php?partno=0344100538)

Sweet 24 3/4" thin'ish neck; hot finish and looks; Very versatile pickups
This guitar was going for $450 to $500 depending on where you looked, but recently Sam Ash started offering a limited quantity for $199 -- an offer I couldn't refuse. :cool: The finish is a very sharp transparent satin wine red with dusty platinum hardware and pickup covers. The neck is somewhere between a Gibson '59 rounded and a 60's slim taper and thanks to the satin finish it plays extremely smoothly. The electronics and pickups were a real surprise being that this is a Korean made Squier -- the pots, soldering, and wiring are all in the same ballpark as anything I have seen on a top of the line Fender or Gibson. The pickups are made in Korea Duncan Designed HB-102s which are the same specs as the USA made SH-4 JB bridge and SH-2n Jazz Model neck pickups. And last but not least, I was initially worried that since this is a new guitar design it might suffer from neck heaviness like SGs and many other non-traditional guitars, but I was very pleasantly surprised to find that it is perfectly balanced.

Happy New Year everyone!! :R

Plank_Spanker
January 1st, 2007, 10:38 AM
My new Les Paul. I can't keep it out of my hands. :D

oldguy
January 1st, 2007, 10:52 AM
No particular order, I can't say one is "best" over another. They seem to play nice together. :DR

Epiphone Valve Jr. head
Digitech Jamman
Digitech RP-250
Squier 51

warren0728
January 1st, 2007, 11:33 AM
hmmmmm......

probably my '98 Les Paul Special and my "best Deal" purchase in 2006 was the peavey classic 20 pawn shop find for $100!

ww

Spudman
January 1st, 2007, 02:02 PM
This is almost impossible for me. I bought so much stuff this year and it's all pretty cool. If I was gigging again I'd narrow it down in no time. Anyway...

My top 3 are:
Fulltone Fulldrive 2
Tonebone Hot British
Arion Pedal tuner

t_ross33
January 1st, 2007, 02:21 PM
I started '06 with one beat up ol' Yamaha acoustic!

Everything purchased and/or otherwise aquired this year has been great (see my sig)!

Gigged a New Year's Eve bash last night with my brand-spankin'-new ch-ch-ch-ch-Cherry Bomb - suh-weet! She's definately my favorite overall.

Looking forward to seeing what y'all pick up in '07 :DR :R

KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE NEW YEAR

Trev

Tim
January 2nd, 2007, 09:40 AM
My best buy this year was the Boss RC-1 Looper pedal. I am having a blast with this thing. I am having a bit of trouble get the timing down on uploading a loop. I can not get he loop to perform a smooth repeat function.

Justaguyin_nc
January 2nd, 2007, 12:50 PM
I guess the best is probably a very basic Amp head by Crate I only paid $99.00 for. The PowerBlock sits on my desktop within reach at all times. Takes pedals well and allows me to output to the computer easily while still being a 150 watt head which I have yet to get a speaker cab for. Simple..Basic... and sounds great for my needs... I have been getting into pedals more than modellers lately and they seem to team well with this powerblock without breaking the bank on a tube amp....

scottish_bluesman
January 2nd, 2007, 01:22 PM
even though ive had some problems with it best purchase in 06 is without a doubt my classic 30. :)

should be getting a boss gt8 at the end of this month aswell which im really looking forward to :D

bbuonomo
January 12th, 2007, 11:50 PM
My best purchase of the year was a vintage 65 Fender Princeton Reverb amp(original tubes and all) from my upstairs neighbor who played harmonica through until about 2 years ago, since then he just let it sit there, and then one day he asked me if I would give him $100 for it. I almost wet myself.

Spudman
January 13th, 2007, 12:15 PM
It would have been a worthy thing to do too. Congratulations! That is quite a score.

helliott
January 13th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Hands down best gear buy in 06 -- my Mesa Lone Star. Still haven't got my head around all its capabilities. This is the sweetest sounding amp I've owned. My fat strat on the clean side, gain enough to clip, is to die for. And the OD is fantanstic and flexible. Best reverb tank I've had, too. It has 5, 15 and 30 watt power choices -- the 5 is incredibly rich. I just love this amp, especially for that Strat or a PRS.

alanfc
January 16th, 2007, 01:06 PM
in the Loop !

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/1/9/0/239190.jpg

fendermojoman
February 5th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I found a brand new 2004 LEFT HAND Fender 50th Deluxe Anniversary at a Guitar shop and purchased it. Second place goes to my VOX Valvtronic Amp.:cool:

tot_Ou_tard
February 5th, 2007, 08:34 PM
I found a brand new 2004 LEFT HAND Fender 50th Deluxe Anniversary at a Guitar shop and purchased it. Second place goes to my VOX Valvtronic Amp.:cool:
Izzat a lefty Valvetronix with the clean models on the right-hand side of the dial? :D

Jimi75
February 6th, 2007, 07:39 AM
My best purchase in 2006 was my Les Paul followed by my Line6 Tone Port.

Big_Rob
February 6th, 2007, 01:48 PM
The 98 Mexi Strat that I sniped from some dude on instrumentexchange.com last minute for 158.00

:DR:R:DR:R

ROCK ON!

Spudman
February 6th, 2007, 03:48 PM
The 98 Mexi Strat that I sniped from some dude on instrumentexchange.com last minute for 158.00

:DR:R:DR:R

ROCK ON!

Now THAT is a great deal!

Tone2TheBone
February 6th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Wow I missed this thread. I bought a bunch of stuff last year. My Muddy Tele, my Peavey Classic 30 amph, my Marshall pedals, the Squier Jazz bass, the SWR bass combo amph...got the Boss Looper pedal for my Birfday....I'd have to say those were all my best purchases. I did a lot of gassing and shopping last year. I love this place.

kerc
February 6th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I sound like a broken record...Reverend Warhawk HB. :D

http://cyberjammin.net/uploads/Images/S5030287.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
February 6th, 2007, 10:42 PM
kerc, Reverend should send you one of each of their guitars. :D

Your photos are sooooo much nicer than on the Rev website. :DR

Iago
February 7th, 2007, 07:27 AM
My Tele. Got it from Ebay for half of the original price. In perfect state with just a few dings..

Tone2TheBone
February 7th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Iago where you been!