PDA

View Full Version : Comcast clever trick... NOT!

poodlesrule
June 18th, 2013, 03:36 PM
New Comcast broadband router installed and activated today, via their web interface.

Towards the end of process, system asks you to download an exe file to "complete activation"

Well, end result are a totally gone existing bookmarks, new Comcast-style toolbar, and no apparent way to either decline at install, or restore. There are many reports of it, so my case is not an aberration.

This is horrible...!!

Thanks to the web, I found the info on how to massage the Firefox bookmarks to a restore point (I had no idea FF had such a feature).

Again, this a terrible way to do business - and I pity the lonesome grandmother trying to sort this out on her own.

Lesson: As, apparently, there is no way to escape the last activation dreadful step, it would be best to use a virgin "victim" browser that would take the abuse, followed by a wipe.

Tig
June 18th, 2013, 04:26 PM
That bites! I occasionally backup my Firefox bookmarks to a different drive, but what the Comcast app did is terrible.

sunvalleylaw
June 19th, 2013, 08:09 PM
That's awful! I am not very happy with our cable company right now either. They did not pull that bull, but they are now applying a data download limit that we never had to deal with before, or at least warning us that we are supposedly over it. I bet they are getting ready to force us into a higher package. We get very basic cable (your basic local stations plus a couple throw in stations) with high speed internet. I am currently looking for other high speed internet options so we can switch our internet off cable if we have to.