PDA

View Full Version : New low man on the totem pole.

Jeffbeck
June 19th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Just thought I'd introduce myself - I didn't see anywhere to officially do it so I'm sticking it here.

Yes, that is really my name. It is a cruel, ironic joke that my parents and the universe played on me.

I'm old, fat, bald and almost completely musically incompetent but for some reason I keep buying gear. GAS is a sickness that I contracted about 2 years ago when I decided I should start playing guitar at the young age of 42. Now I have a basement full of beautiful instruments that I cannot play but refuse to quit trying - much to my family's chagrin.

I've seen a couple of familiar faces (or screen names, anyway) from Agile forum, which is where I can be found wasting most of my free time. But I came across this forum today and thought it looked pretty cool - so I figured I would see if you guys are smart enough to run me off or if you're gluttons for punishment and stupid questions.

I've got way too much gear but I'm in the process of thinning the herd out a bit. Don't worry - I'm not registering here just trying to sell stuff - I promise. Just pointing out that I know I've gone overboard on gear.

As I mentioned I hang out at AGF a lot and I'm a true blue believer in the Agile guitar line. But anything bright and shiny will generally get my attention. My two current faves are an SX Callisto Jr. and a Parker PM20. Or maybe I prefer my AL3125 or the Fender MIJ Jaguar, or maybe the... *sigh* I know you guys understand.

Anyway, this looked like a pretty cool place so I hope you can make room for one more.

sunvalleylaw
June 19th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Hey! Welcome! Based on your description, you should fit right in. I joined at a similar age with a similar experience level. I have learned a lot here, not that that means I am a good player or anything. But it is a good place to learn and pursue this fun passion!

Tig
June 19th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Hey! Welcome! Based on your description, you should fit right in. I joined at a similar age with a similar experience level. I have learned a lot here, not that that means I am a good player or anything. But it is a good place to learn and pursue this fun passion!

^ This is pretty close to my description as well, and I'm too lazy to make my own right now. I just woke up to work my last night shift, going to days next week after 3 1/2 years of this... craziness.

Welcome to The Fret, Jeff. Just be glad your parents didn't name you Michael Bolton...
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGzGORk5UbcocgLrwkr6_DGplYlrldd oiEx3T9g6KSUByHwwlEdA:french

marnold
June 19th, 2013, 06:51 PM
One of my fellow pastors shares a name with John Tesh, although spelled differently. People have asked if he is THE John Tesh, to which he always answers, "Well, yes!"

Welcome to our group of fellow talentless hacks :p

R_of_G
June 19th, 2013, 07:04 PM
A friend of mine has a good friend from college named Paul McCartney. It happens. Welcome to the Fret Jeff.

Tig
June 19th, 2013, 07:32 PM
I created a new user last night, "Peter Pan".

I used to work with a James Bond. :D

sunvalleylaw
June 19th, 2013, 08:06 PM

Hey!! Well there are a couple of us that aren't hacks. Not including me. ;)

duhvoodooman
June 19th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Welcome, Jeff. Was hoping there for a minute that you could introduce me to Tal Wilkenfeld, but apparently that's not going to happen....

Jeffbeck
June 19th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Thanks for making me feel welcome.

Growing up my best friend's name was Kevin McHale. One day I was at the store with my mother and there was a whole wall of "Kevin McHale" signature basketballs and she was horrified because she thought my buddy had put his name on all of them!

Robert
June 19th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Welcome Jeff! Do you have a JB sig Strat? If not, trade for one! :)

poodlesrule
June 20th, 2013, 10:49 AM
A friend of mine has a good friend from college named Paul McCartney. It happens. Welcome to the Fret Jeff.

Fond memories of my late neighbor John Lennon...

Katastrophe
June 20th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Welcome, JB!

FrankenFretter
June 21st, 2013, 12:40 AM
Well, look what the cat dragged in. Hi Jeff!

Folks, Jeff is a great guy and is about to take on a project for me that was just collecting dust while other projects got finished around it. He's also a talented graphic artist, and much less of a hack than he claims to be, I'm pretty sure.

Welcome to the fret, Jeff!

NWBasser
June 21st, 2013, 12:28 PM
Welcome to The Fret Jeff!

Your namesake happens to be one my all-time favorite guitarists.

Jeffbeck
June 22nd, 2013, 08:58 PM
Thanks, but I assure you I do truly stink.

tjcurtin1
June 22nd, 2013, 09:23 PM
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ah, a favorite Stooges line!

Welcome Jeff - we all aspire to something better than we are, so let's be nice to ourselves! None of us could be hopeless, or we would have given up by now (despite the seductive qualities of the guitar in all its forms, and the never-ending fires of GAS...:rolleyes:)

davewrites
June 22nd, 2013, 11:29 PM
I recognize you from AGF! Welcome to the other side.

I dabbled with git'ers thru my 20s and 30s and started "taking it seriously" the year I turned 40.

I can honestly say that I'm still fully committed to the learning process. But I can't honestly say that I'm any better at playing these damn stringed things!

Still, investing resources and effort into a passion is hardly a waste. Showing up is half of it and your enjoyment is the other half.

Welcome to TheFret.net.

Brian Krashpad
June 30th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Welcome Jeff! I haven't been to AGF in ages (don't currently own an Agile so it seems like cheating), it's a good group. Have fun!