PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Emmanuel - see this man before you leave the planet!

tjcurtin1
June 21st, 2013, 07:12 AM
I had one of the most amazing musical experiences of my life last night. It is beyond words - what this man does with an acoustic guitar is beyond description - there are times when it is simply no longer a guitar, - or maybe i should say 'just a guitar'! Simply phenomenal, and anyone interested in the guitar should see this guy play. On top of the incredible music (and range of styles) are some of the most artful arrangements of familiar songs that you will ever hear, a joy in sharing the music, a respect for guitar greats past and present, a love for the audience - and someone who is clearly a decent human being. Can you tell I'm blown away?!

oldguy
June 21st, 2013, 07:51 AM
I've liked him for years. I bought my dad DVD's from Tommy's website. Amazing talent. His brother's good too.

Bookkeeper's Son
June 21st, 2013, 02:58 PM
Tommy is in that thin-air area of musicianship, with the likes of Chet Atkins. A GENUINE master of his trade.

marnold
June 22nd, 2013, 09:42 AM
One of these days I have to see him live, although he rarely comes anywhere near here.

Robert
June 22nd, 2013, 06:28 PM
I would love to see him! I'm in marnold's boat however.

tjcurtin1
June 22nd, 2013, 09:17 PM
I only found out he was going to be in Boston about 4 days before the show and was thrilled to get tix. I'll keep a closer eye out and hope he returns as there are a number of friends I need to drag along next time! Hope you guys get a chance somehow in the future to see him.

Tig
June 23rd, 2013, 01:57 PM
NASA keeps turning down my astronaut applications, so I guess I'm stuck on the planet a little longer.

I'd love to see Tommy play. He'll be here in October but the ticket prices (with dinner at this venue) are $78 - $98 - $118.

tjcurtin1
June 23rd, 2013, 06:06 PM
Tix here surprisingly reasonable for Boston - $36 and $47 (including the TMaster scalp fee...) but no dinner!

Eric
June 24th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Tix here surprisingly reasonable for Boston - $36 and $47 (including the TMaster scalp fee...) but no dinner!
I've seen him twice and the tickets were in that range. Thankfully, the place where I saw him both times had ticket sales right at the box office, so I didn't even get the usual TM fee.

The first time I saw him he was just out-of-this-world phenomenal. The second time was also excellent, but it made it clear that the first time was just one of those nights where absolutely everything is clicking. In addition to the music and his crazy performances, he also has some pretty funny banter and lame jokes in between songs that make the whole show a really fun experience.

I'm glad you were able to see him play, TJ. It's definitely worth it.

aeolian
July 1st, 2013, 09:21 PM
My wife and I saw him a few years ago and had exactly the same reaction as you. An acoustic guitar in his hands is more than just a guitar. Prior to seeing him I had never heard of anyone bending the neck on an acoustic to get a vibrato effect. Almost everything he plays is jaw dropping, but the Beatles medley left an indelible impression.

tjcurtin1
July 2nd, 2013, 08:57 AM
Yes, that medley was an amazing arrangement - he encored with an achingly beautiful arrangement of 'Imagine', and closed by saying that he hoped we would leave the theater feeling 'a little uplifted' - what an understatement! I really felt like I had been given a gift through the music he presented.

The Grand Vizier
July 12th, 2013, 11:39 PM
I have seen Tommy & Phil Emmanuel many a time over the years, they play often around my way.
Top Aussie guitarists.....

marnold
August 13th, 2013, 08:05 PM
I can't believe it! I was looking at the website for the Meyer Theatre in Green Bay for the Bob and Tom Comedy Tour dates and saw that Tommy Emmanuel is going to be there on September 11! Normally, I have a meeting that night, but it is being moved. The ticket was $48 with the Ticket Star gouging, but I'm going to be there!

Robert
August 14th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Sweet marnold! Hope he comes to my neck of the woods some day.

marnold
September 4th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Woohoo! I just got an email saying that I'm going to be able to be a part of the meet-and-greet before the show! Pity I'm going alone so I don't think I'll be able to get a picture taken with him. I might take my camera along just in case.

Eric
September 4th, 2013, 01:03 PM
I play a show recently where one of the guys playing on the bill was very very Tommy Emmanuel-ish -- a really amazing guitarist: https://soundcloud.com/danbank88.

I hope you have a good time at the show.

FusedGrooves
September 4th, 2013, 07:30 PM
I've seen every Tommy concert in Canberra there's been.
I still have (not really use them) but the first tapes he put out years ago, some of which he played everything on the recordings, drums, bass guitar etc - it's awesome to see how 'Initiation' has evolved over the years....

Can't wait for the NOV concert, saw one of the first TV adverts, booked within 30 seconds LOL
About the only bad thing about watching a Tommy concert is realising I (personally) will never be able to make a guitar sing the way Tommy does....almost depressing! Something to aspire to granted but really this guy is on a level I can only dream about!

marnold
September 11th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Just got back from the concert. He played about 70 minutes, took about a 30 minute break, and then played a further 70 minutes. I thought I had seen people play guitar before. Evidently I was wrong. He just owned that thing. The thing that really struck me was the joy and the ease that he played with. I know enough to understand how remarkably difficult it is to play like that. He made it seem like no big deal.

He broke down how he came up with his arrangement for Lady Madonna. I still couldn't ever play it, but now it makes sense how a talented human being could do it.

He was really nice and down to earth at the meet and greet. I asked him how often he had to replace the top on his guitar the way he bangs on it. He said his main guitar has had the top replaced three times since the late 80s. He said the new guitars he has are almost indestructible.

If he is anywhere near you, get tickets. If you think you the best player out there, check your ego at the door. He will prove you wrong.

Robert
September 11th, 2013, 11:50 PM
I would love to see him. I can tell when a true Master is playing, and that is exactly what Tommy is. I feel humbled just looking at his Maton.

You lucky dog, Marnold!

tjcurtin1
September 12th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Glad that you enjoyed the experience, Marnold - it is difficult to describe convincingly in a way that doesn't sound over the top, but when you are in it, it is just amazing.