PDA

View Full Version : Amsterdam region.... Greenhouses everywhere!!

poodlesrule
June 23rd, 2013, 05:06 AM
Just spent three weeks in native France (finally got to visit Versailles, a whole subject in itself).

The Amsterdam flight stopover was interesting, as the aerial view is stunning: hundreds of gigantic greenhouses...!!
And water bodies, big and small. Interesting landscape.

Anybody here familiar with this area?

Other: Every time I visit my native area, France/Switzerland, I am reminded of a certain lack of "vibe", compared to the U.S. Very hard to explain. I was in an IKEA store in Geneva, (high standard of living, etc.) looking around, observing people, and could not connect at all. Later, my sister joined me and l told her about the lack of vibe. she gave me a weird look... not the first time, LOL.
Speaking of Geneva, l leaned through a cousin that two-thirds of the world oil trade is dealt there... astonishing!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

sunvalleylaw
June 23rd, 2013, 10:29 AM
Cool! I got to spend a day in Amsterdam with my family two years ago as part of our trip to Holland. It was a beautiful and historical city.

Not sure what you are saying about vibe, whether it is lacking here in the States or over in your native area. The vibe I most noticed in Holland, especially in my mother-in-law's home city of Arnhem, was a remembrance of the pain of WWII, and almost as the area still had some PTSD that had flowed down through the generations there. Given what that city had endured, I suppose I could understand it. What I am trying to say is that it is like a type of realism vs. optimism that seems to pervade as compared to the States. Though I would say that that traditional US sense of optimism is starting to get a little rough around the edges these days too. Not wanting to comment on anything politically, just an observation of comparative "vibe" if you will.

deeaa
June 23rd, 2013, 11:22 AM
People are so different in different parts of countries even. I have felt that same kind of lack of vibe in many places,, while others have felt vibrant. Even within one country.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

poodlesrule
June 23rd, 2013, 11:26 AM
Intetesting SVL.
My vibe feel idea is to be understood almost in a rock music sense. Feels a wee bit too quiet to me, especially the Swiss part..
I do understand that the Dutch are quite dynamic folks. One just need to look at aerial views to see the extend of industry and trade going on!

sunvalleylaw
June 23rd, 2013, 11:27 AM
People are so different in different parts of countries even. I have felt that same kind of lack of vibe in many places,, while others have felt vibrant. Even within one country.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yes, I agree, and was thinking about that and how to express it as I was trying to type my reply. Here, even between where I live and Twin Falls, and hour and a half away, marks a very big difference in feel. More so than in western Washington along Interstate 5 where things have largely "congealed" into a large urban/suburban area. Here, with Idaho's rural lands and small towns, things are quite different from town to town.

sunvalleylaw
June 23rd, 2013, 11:30 AM
Intetesting SVL.
My vibe feel idea is to be understood almost in a rock music sense. Feels a wee bit too quiet to me! I do understand that the Dutch are quite dynamic folks. One just need to look at aerial views to see the extend of industry and trade going on!

Yeah, I was not really in Amsterdam long enough to get a real feel for things. I stayed longer in Arnhem.

Here is one guy in Amsterdam that I have communicated on Youtube whose music vibe I enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z5zSFc43cI

He communicated with me when I was working on learning this. I still can't play it as well as he does, but I have not worked on it lately. He does lots of Ramones stuff. When I get my tele put back together with the new pickups, I am going to take another whack at this.