PDA

View Full Version : Notes

player
June 28th, 2013, 09:02 AM
for beginning guitarists along with the rest of us.
most know by now that the
open strings are (from lowest to highest) E A D
G B E. BUT can everyone go to any note on any string without thinking too much?
what I'd like to encourage is on every string find the six notes above.they are whole notes a full step apart.the half steps or one fret is about flats and sharps(b +#) within the notes shown.I promise once everyone can ''go to'' the notes above with little or no thought(on every string),
your playing abilities move into another level making it much easier to play nearly anything.
this is something I do now and then as a refresher of sorts.when doing it whole and/or half steps.ideas that come up like music itself are almost endless along with being a great mental and physical finger exercise.may I invite beginners and advanced players alike to take this challenge with me.
none of us will be sorry for doing it.this is but a small but crucial undertaking of fretboard logic.while geared toward beginners,every one of us fretters will benefit from it.
tip: I start with an open A then move on.

P.S. as an aside a ''note'' should be made it is a half step to the C note from B in many if not most cases but the idea is the same.
get them all down on all six strings.
just realized this a moment ago while doing it.hence the edit.

sunvalleylaw
June 28th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Good post!

player
June 30th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks.as long as we(everyone) can realize in musicdom both scales and chords use A - G...and none are repeated.alternatively with chords I believe C major is the only one that does not use flats or sharps in it and here again none are repetitive unless you include the octave.
even b's and #'s used don't repeat.they do though fall in line with the A through G
just building block basics to make scales and/or chords.
take note aspiring or beginning guitarists.the rule IS written in stone. or izzat theory?
any way it's sliced it works.

player
July 3rd, 2013, 02:04 PM
Thanks.as long as we(everyone) can realize in musicdom both scales and chords use A - G...and none are repeated.alternatively with chords I believe C major is the only one that does not use flats or sharps in it and here again none are repetitive unless you include the octave.
even b's and #'s used don't repeat.they do though fall in line with the A through G
just building block basics to make scales and/or chords.
take note aspiring or beginning guitarists.the rule IS written in stone. or izzat theory?
any way it's sliced it works. I was looking at the posts and I noticed something that can often
trip people/beginners up... so I'll try and clarify below.

The thing is that you have to remember that the
whole steps and half steps refer to the spaces
''between'' notes and not the notes themselves.

So if we start with C, the first space is a whole
step so we end up on D.

From there, we need another space, which is a
whole step to E.

Notice we've got 3 notes, but only 2 spaces in
between so far!

So at this point we've only used

WS-WS

from the whole formula of:

WS-WS-HS-WS-WS-WS-HS
(WS - whole step, HS - half step)

So far we have:

C D E and we've used WS-WS so far so the
next thing is a HS.

Going up from E a half-step we get F.

From there, up a whole-step gives us G, another
whole-step gives us A, another whole-step gives
us B, and the last half-step gets us back to C.

Notice that the last half-step Always gets you
back at where you started (just up one octave.)

If you don't end on the same note you started on,
you've done something wrong - so that's a good
way to check also.

it is still important to do like the first post.all six strings.not bad exercise either. :)