PDA

View Full Version : Impluse buy: Monopod!

poodlesrule
July 7th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I saw a low price monopod online and bought it. Never had one.

I wonder if it will help in low-light situations, or, say, panning for fast motion?

Other: Still undecided about my camera-used-as-a-camcorder purchase, as previously posted. Still like the "family" Canon SX's movie output, but am tempted to venture into buying a comparable Panasonic...

Spudman
July 10th, 2013, 10:44 AM
I too thought about a monopod, but have instead opted to build this for my trekking pole.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Trekking-Pole-Monopod-for-Small-CameraCamcorder/

poodlesrule
July 10th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Not bad.

I can report that I used my monopod for the first time, trying to catch a good shot of frog resting on the edge of the fish pond, using full zoom on our Canon p&s. Worked great at stabilizing the camera enough so that the framing was optimal.

Spudman
July 10th, 2013, 10:46 PM
I've got a large zoom lens for my Olympus, and when it's really zoomed in man is it difficult to hold steady. If the shutter speed is not fast enough then it's real easy to get blurry pictures. Being able to stabilize the camera without packing a tripod all the time is a real big help. What type of monopod did you get? is it height adjustable?

poodlesrule
July 11th, 2013, 03:15 PM
What type of monopod did you get? is it height adjustable?

As stated it was an "impluse" buy, did not shop for it (a good thing or, I'll still be looking at specs and whatnot), 12 bucks shipped online, and I grabbed it

It is a Vivitar brand , up to 67 in. fully deployed, 23 in. folded. Just a traditional, fixed screw mount. Made of four sections, with plastic cam locks for adjustment. Nice spike at bottom, with rubberized foot that can be brought down to cover spike. Comes in a sleeve with strap.

I since discover

Algonquin
April 2nd, 2014, 10:15 PM
Purchased an inexpensive monopod this evening. I have a new 70-300 lens for my Canon Rebel, and I wanted to have something light to carry with me while hiking for nature shots. I think they are a good idea to have handy, and will let you know of the results of my cheapo buy tonight.

Cheers,
David

poodlesrule
April 3rd, 2014, 07:05 AM
Discounts abound. Sales of photo accessories are probably dropping, like the rest of it...

Stock up on the standard 1/4-20 threaded bolt and make custom camera-holding fixtures!

I need to use my monopod more, maybe keep it in the car so I have it whenever...?

There were some breathtaking winter beaches scenes near me this past few months, but I was shy about possibly exposing my lens to salty mist... so no pictures.
I will need to address that, maybe buy a model-specific (Panasonic LX7) protective filter?