PDA

View Full Version : MXR Prime Distortion to Super Badass Distorition

stingx
July 16th, 2013, 09:09 AM
On a recent trip to GC, I ended up trying out and purchasing the new MXR Prime Distortion pedal. It is a very good sounding pedal and works extremely well with dynamics of your playing, guitar roll off, etc. After being enamored by it for about two weeks, I noticed that MXR released yet another pedal in the BADASS series - the Super Badass Distortion. I packed up the Prime and took it with me in case the newer pedal knocked me out...

The Prime was returned for store credit towards the Badass :) Now, again, I am not stating the Prime Distortion was bad at all however, next to the Badass, it was limited. The Badass can be used as a boost all the way to metal and sounds amazingly well. There are more demos creeping up on the 'Tube for you to check out where you can get an idea of what it can do. Also, there are some for the Prime (and the others) for which you can compare/contrast. I do suggest hitting your local store and really giving them a good workout. When not using the RP500, I basically prefer to keep it simple and I LOVE my set up of MXR Carbon Copy + Super Badass Distortion + occasional Wah. I can cover spank to crank with this setup.

Highly recommend the Badass. I have a bunch of boutique pedals in a box purchased over the years (some already flipped on TGP) and I'm kinda pissed that none of them have the versatility of the $99 Badass. You can save fifty bucks and go with the Prime if you never venture into high gain territory.

LOVE MXR!

sunvalleylaw
July 16th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Sounds cool! I have never tried the MXR distortions but have heard many like them. I have too many distortion pedals now to go get another though!