PDA

View Full Version : Santana

Oldslowhand
January 1st, 2007, 06:50 AM
How do you fancy a lesson or two from Carlos Santana

http://www.santana.com/frameset.html
You need to click on the tab players -click tab musicians corner -click tab interactive lessons -click Carlos Santana

Gives one some idea how to approach playing some of his tunes, still wish I could just play so effortlessly

Whilst your on the site check out his gear Massa mk1, Dumbel Overdrive & a Dumble Special + a Tubescreamer and Wah

tot_Ou_tard
January 1st, 2007, 08:11 AM
Speaking of Dumble Oldslowhand, if I recall correctly your last post O so many moths ago was agreeing with me that Boutique Clean model on the VOX AD**VT is a great model.

It's good to see you post again.

jpfeifer
January 1st, 2007, 09:41 AM
Wow, thanks for posting that. I've always admired Santana's playing. He was one of the first guys that I tried to emulate by learning his songs, and trying to mimic his tone, etc. He's one of those players who you can recognize after only a few notes because his style is so identifiable. There's very few guitar players like him who have their own sound.

I really liked watching those lessons he has posted on his site because he tells the story behind the songs, etc. It would be great if every artist would do this.

Thanks again for posting that, -- Jim

warren0728
January 1st, 2007, 10:13 AM
very cool...santana has always been a favorite of mine....bookmarked

ww

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2007, 10:27 AM
How do you fancy a lesson or two from Carlos Santana

http://www.santana.com/frameset.html
You need to click on the tab players -click tab musicians corner -click tab interactive lessons -click Carlos Santana

Gives one some idea how to approach playing some of his tunes, still wish I could just play so effortlessly

Whilst your on the site check out his gear Massa mk1, Dumbel Overdrive & a Dumble Special + a Tubescreamer and Wah

Cool!! My instructor has me working on Black Magic Woman, but just by showing me a few licks, and suggesting I YouTube it to figure out some of the rest. I will surf this to see what else I can come up with.

Mark
January 1st, 2007, 01:23 PM
Very cool, one of the first things I noticed was even at living room volume. Santana sounds "like" Santana. Possibly that tone be in the fingers concept at work again.

Justaguyin_nc
January 1st, 2007, 02:46 PM
Great find.... to hear him talk about what was on or in his mind while he created the songs was even better!

Oldslowhand
January 2nd, 2007, 12:51 PM
Speaking of Dumble Oldslowhand, if I recall correctly your last post O so many moths ago was agreeing with me that Boutique Clean model on the VOX AD**VT is a great model.

It's good to see you post again.
yeah our computer went to computer heaven so it took a couple of months to decide what to replace it with then I had to workout all my passwords etc, what programs & so on ........

I use the boutique OD for my Overdrive and just by using the volume and tone controls(I have the Jimmy Page wiring in my LP)I can get just about any lead sound I want. Cool amp for £300 !!! about 3% of the real dumbles and they give you two of them:rolleyes:
Graham

Oldslowhand
January 2nd, 2007, 01:02 PM
Cool!! My instructor has me working on Black Magic Woman, but just by showing me a few licks, and suggesting I YouTube it to figure out some of the rest. I will surf this to see what else I can come up with.
The solo's are just variations of the intro so it's not to hard to make up your own using the notes you've already learnt (mostly from the pentatonic scale) so have some fun with that. If I remember rightly there are a load of videos on Carlos's site and Black Magic Woman is amoungst them

Graham

Oldslowhand
January 2nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
Very cool, one of the first things I noticed was even at living room volume. Santana sounds "like" Santana. Possibly that tone be in the fingers concept at work again.
Do you know that's what struck me but at least that same thing gives all of us our own tone:cool:

sunvalleylaw
January 2nd, 2007, 01:26 PM
The solo's are just variations of the intro so it's not to hard to make up your own using the notes you've already learnt (mostly from the pentatonic scale) so have some fun with that. If I remember rightly there are a load of videos on Carlos's site and Black Magic Woman is amoungst them

Graham

Thanks. I have been working on a simple version of the chords using a couple barre chords and power chords, and my simple version of the main solo from memory using the pentatonic scale. I found the BMW lesson (Carlos himself teaching) and when I have time will watch to see what I want to add in. Thanks for the great find!