PDA

View Full Version : ...and another bicycle rescue

stingx
September 15th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Have no idea what this is (friend at LBS thinks it's a Fugi or Miyata) but it's an awfully light steel framed bike with Shimano 105 full group compliment. No rust - just sitting in the garage for several years. Saw this at a garage sale the next town over. The woman asked me to make an offer and I got it for $85. The seat on the bike alone was more than that.
Anyway, I don't need all these bikes so I am selling my mountain bike and another that I don't ride much.

Here's a shot of bike from earlier today. I did about 41 miles on it this weekend. It rides extremely nicely.

http://stubble.org/mobile/unk_bike.jpg

Spud, if you think you might know the make or model chime in please.

Tig
September 16th, 2013, 06:34 AM
No telling what it is by the photo. Is there any faded head badge shape on the front of the steerer tube? Is there any code stamped into the bottom bracket housing other than the serial number? What does the S/N start with?

Regardless, that's a cool bike. Looks like a 51 or 52 CM, which is my size! :) I love lugged steel frames and this one would make for a perfect fixed gear project if it didn't already have nice components.

Also, check the front tire side wall for damage. It looks like a Continental, which is all I use, but some had side wall problems and it looks like possible damage at 12 and 6 O'clock in the photo. While you're there, looks for any cracks in the tire casing and replace if necessary. A front tire blow out puts people in the ICU!

Spudman
September 16th, 2013, 05:10 PM
I believe that is a Fuji Grand Tourer or Pro. The fork is the giveaway. Miyata had more ornate lugs and a rivited head tube badge. Those tire sidewalls look pretty dry. I wouldn't trust those old tires very far.

Tig
September 16th, 2013, 06:59 PM
I believe that is a Fuji Grand Tourer or Pro. The fork is the giveaway. Miyata had more ornate lugs and a rivited head tube badge. Those tire sidewalls look pretty dry. I wouldn't trust those old tires very far.

Good call on the Fuji!

As for old tires, I looked at mine last week on my Giant and both had dry cracks all around. They sat for 3+ years and no telling how old they were before then. Replacement time.

sunvalleylaw
September 16th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Looks cool!

stingx
September 17th, 2013, 03:55 AM
I located the SN and, with a bit of help, found out it's a 1989 Centurion Ironman Expert. It's 54cm which works well for my little over 30" inseam. The 105 grouping is all original save the brake shifters.

Good guesses though :) I thought it was a Miyata 914 or a Pany.