PDA

View Full Version : Video of our show last month

Eric
September 18th, 2013, 11:44 AM
I'm kind of bored while my band records a few of the songs we have written, so I figured I would post a video of our opening two songs at a show we had about a month ago. It turned out surprisingly well. I play bass in this band, so I'm in the purple shirt on the left of the screen. For some reason this video is showing up as tiny, but whatever.

yiy1SmHO2HE

http://youtu.be/yiy1SmHO2HE

Glacies
September 18th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Loved it!

I couldn't hear the bass with my work headphones, so I'll listen again when I get home, but especially loved Man's World. Singer was great.

Eric
September 18th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Loved it!

I couldn't hear the bass with my work headphones, so I'll listen again when I get home, but especially loved Man's World. Singer was great.
Yeah, the sound quality isn't too great overall. Luckily you can hear the singer and guitar pretty well, since those are the main attractions; I'm just sort of along for the ride.

Glacies
September 18th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Being relatively new to music, I never knew how important bass was until I didn't have it.

Eric
September 18th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Being relatively new to music, I never knew how important bass was until I didn't have it.
It's a fair point. The way I like to frame it is that drums and bass are most important to a band sounding good, but the singer and guitarist are the most noticeable. You don't really want a weak person at any position, but I feel like you can get by with a much weaker guitarist (or occasionally vocalist -- look at Dream Theater) and still sound like a good band if your rhythm section is good. Ironic, since most people want to sing or play guitar because there's more glory there. I think I once heard a drummer say that drumming in a rock band is like being a rock plumber; I thought that was pretty funny.

I think an extension of that thought is that band members notice bad musicians at bass and drums far more than audience members will notice them.

Robert
September 18th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Sounds good! I can hear the bass just fine. Nice job, Eric! :D

Spudman
September 19th, 2013, 08:53 AM
That was really cool. Singer has a good voice and the rhythm section is tight and the recording sounds really good. :AOK

Eric
September 19th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks, guys!

Retro Hound
September 19th, 2013, 09:12 AM
It's a fair point. The way I like to frame it is that drums and bass are most important to a band sounding good, but the singer and guitarist are the most noticeable. You don't really want a weak person at any position, but I feel like you can get by with a much weaker guitarist (or occasionally vocalist -- look at Dream Theater) and still sound like a good band if your rhythm section is good. Ironic, since most people want to sing or play guitar because there's more glory there. I think I once heard a drummer say that drumming in a rock band is like being a rock plumber; I thought that was pretty funny.

I think an extension of that thought is that band members notice bad musicians at bass and drums far more than audience members will notice them.

True story. My wife's father played bass for years in a country western band (he played guitar for several years before switching to bass). My best friend played bass, mostly in praise and worship and some heavy rock. Once my friend said something about he's glad he doesn't play bass in C&W because it's just bum-bum, bum-bum. Not one week later my father-in-law said he was glad he didn't play bass in a rock band because it would just be bum-bum bum-bum. I about died it was so bizarre.

Eric
September 19th, 2013, 09:17 AM
True story. My wife's father played bass for years in a country western band (he played guitar for several years before switching to bass). My best friend played bass, mostly in praise and worship and some heavy rock. Once my friend said something about he's glad he doesn't play bass in C&W because it's just bum-bum, bum-bum. Not one week later my father-in-law said he was glad he didn't play bass in a rock band because it would just be bum-bum bum-bum. I about died it was so bizarre.
That's pretty funny. I guess they're both kind of right, huh? I mean, neither of those genres is exactly funk, motown, or jazz. Then again, I've found music (and life) to be what you make of it. If you decide something is simple and boring, it probably will be.

deeaa
September 22nd, 2013, 10:01 PM
Nice! The singer is indeed good!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

tjcurtin1
September 23rd, 2013, 07:10 PM
.. thought I had posted on this earlier - Anyway. really nice work, Eric - the band sounds really tight and together with good musicianship all around!

Duffy
September 26th, 2013, 05:34 AM
That was cool man.

Brian Krashpad
November 2nd, 2013, 09:46 AM
That was really cool. Singer has a good voice and the rhythm section is tight and the recording sounds really good. :AOK

Yep this. ^

Your singer really has the American Idol thing down. ;)

Jipes
November 7th, 2013, 05:07 AM
Oh Man I love this James Brown song it's probably one of my favorite from the Grandfather of the Funk and you guys gave it justice with a tight groove and nice climax that's cool, I wonder whether you should slow it down a couple of bpm just to make it even more tasty just my two cents. Love as well your original reminds me some Wet Willie Groove it's a nice one :applause