PDA

View Full Version : Help getting started writing a song.

sunvalleylaw
October 12th, 2013, 10:06 AM
I want to try my hand at writing something. I want it to be something that rocks, so the chords can be simple, but maybe for it to have a twist sonically in a bridge or something. The theme is going to be frustration and anger at the world resolving in defiance, resilience and hope.

How should I start? I could pick three chords that relate, but I am concerned it would turn into some kind of blues song. Hints?

piebaldpython
October 12th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Since you don't want to turn it into a blues song, stay away from dom7 chords. Also, you might want to stick to major chords and not minor chords. Keep us posted on your progress and final product.

Eric
October 14th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Hi Steve-

I am far from an accomplished songwriter, but if I was doing something similar I would probably start with a power chord and just move up and down in full steps and figure out something that worked. Seems like a minor chord would be a good starter for a rock song, so maybe something like m6, M5, M1? Simplify to something like a M4, M5 for the chorus. Then change the timing or aggressiveness or something for a bridge to change things up.

I dunno. I'm not even sure how those chords would sound together, but you could probably make them work. If possible, don't worry about the theory -- just bash out some chords and see what sticks. Good work on taking the initiative to write songs. I avoid it for some reason, but I wish I was better at writing.

sunvalleylaw
October 14th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Thanks! Well I am pretty good at ideas. It is the details and follow through that are harder. Still, I want to try this thing even if it takes me a while. thanks for the encouragement!

Eric
October 15th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Thanks! Well I am pretty good at ideas. It is the details and follow through that are harder. Still, I want to try this thing even if it takes me a while. thanks for the encouragement!
Something that might help on follow through is to record your messing around and brainstorming. It can give you something to build on the next time you feel like futzing around, so that you're not always starting from ground zero.

sunvalleylaw
October 15th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Excellent idea. Thanks!

Tig
October 16th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Something that might help on follow through is to record your messing around and brainstorming. It can give you something to build on the next time you feel like futzing around, so that you're not always starting from ground zero.

I should take this advice. I'm always coming up with new riffs and patterns on guitar and keyboards, but never save anything. Maybe because I don't have a project in mind, or I'm just enjoying the moment like watching a sunset kinda' thing.

Eric
October 16th, 2013, 11:25 AM
I should take this advice. I'm always coming up with new riffs and patterns on guitar and keyboards, but never save anything. Maybe because I don't have a project in mind, or I'm just enjoying the moment like watching a sunset kinda' thing.
Yeah, I could stand to take my own advice, but I'm okay just playing whatever comes to mind in the moment. If I did record the ideas, I think I might find that I repeat myself a lot more than I think I do!

sunvalleylaw
October 16th, 2013, 01:40 PM
I did this last night just with combining a couple chords and recording them in Garageband, then I found a "modern rock" drum loop that seemed to fit and re-recorded the chords against the track. Also after recording the couple chords for several measures, I shifted to a couple other chords that might serve as a bridge or chorus or something. Who knows? Nothing much, but at least I recorded a start that I can mess with.

At Spud's suggestion, i am going to import this or record this much into my looper pedal so I can mess with it there.