PDA

View Full Version : Some new songs that I've been working on

jpfeifer
October 13th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I've checked in with my friends at theFret.net
I've been focusing pretty hard on developing my song writing skills over the past year or so. I've started setting my sights on doing more focused writing for specific genres and trying to get better at composing for horns, strings, etc. just to develop myself more as a composer.

I've started pitching some of my songs to publishers for film and TV work. Nothing has been placed yet, but I do have several of my songs in publisher's catalogs, so who knows? Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get something used by a real project. I'll count fortunate if I do.

I just finished a song in the genre called Space-Age Pop. This is a style of music that was popular in the late 50's and early 60's. You can hear it in a lot of film and TV shows of the time such as The Pink Panther, I Dream of Jeannie, and others. One of the publishers I was targeting was looking for songs in this genre so I gave myself an assignment to come up with something to pitch to them. I had to write a lot of horn parts for this song especially, to get the right vibe that this style had. I used a plugin called Vir2 Mojo Horn section, which has some great sounding horn sounds, but it does take a lot of work to get all of the articulations just right so that the parts sound realistic.

You can hear my song at the following link. The song is called Space Age Man Cave.
http://crazycomposer.com/music/

Thanks for listening! --Jim Pfeifer

Tig
October 14th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Good to have you back. I'm diggin' these songs, JP! You've really put in some time with them, that's fo sho. They are expertly composed and well crafted. What I like, other than the automatic connection I have with them (TV and scifi movie hound), is how distinct the different moods they each create. All you need are the right ears to listen to your work and you'll likely get the call.

I wish my brother would consider something similar, as he is a highly skilled and educated musician and loves movie scores. His collection of sound tracks and symphonies takes up a room. He even attended NYU film school for editing. I think motivation is the missing ingredient.

piebaldpython
October 14th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Wow what a variety of songs. Nice work. Park Bench is my favorite........probably because you used a uke and Dobro. lol