PDA

View Full Version : New Bass Stuff: Avatar TB153 and Schecter Model T

Eric
October 23rd, 2013, 06:47 PM
It's not quite new bass day yet, but I recently bought a Schecter Model T from talkbass that *should* arrive tomorrow, and today I bought an Avatar TB153 locally through craigslist. I feel like I got some pretty decent deals on both of them, and I have had my eye on both items for some time, so I'm pretty stoked. I know I need to supply some pictures, but it might be a little while since I may have to be on the road for work on Friday.

For the uninitiated, the Model T is a PJ Schecter bass with the 50s P bass design (kind of looks like a tele with the control plate). I think it's Robert DeLeo's signature bass or something. My guess is that the neck is Jazz bass-ish, but I shall find out. It comes with SD Basslines pickups.

The Avatar TB153 is a 4-ohm (my version, anyway) cab with an Eminence Kappalite Neo 3015LF 15" speaker in it, but it also has a 6" speaker for mids and a horn for high frequencies, with a 3-way crossover to direct the bass signal. Due to the neo speaker it is pretty light at around 60 lbs. I have been sweating one for some time and missed out on one a few months ago on CL, but I got this one at a decent price, so I can sell it if it doesn't click for whatever reason. Unfortunately, my head is current at the drummer's house where we rehearse, so all I can really do is look at it right now. All in due time.

So yeah, buying stuff is fun, huh? I now have 3 bass cabs and 2 basses after committing to a life of musical asceticism. That's not working out quite so well...

NWBasser
October 25th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Very Cool Eric!:socool

I have a TB153 and really like it a lot. It can get quite loud and does a low B like nothing else I've used.

I think that Model T is a way cool bass. I think it has a P-size neck which doesn't work for me so much, otherwise I'd really dig one of those.

Congrats and I can't wait for picks of the T.

Eric
October 26th, 2013, 11:08 AM
The bass:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-jW-3TVsdqAA/Umv2X_6_CtI/AAAAAAAABH4/NguzgbQNBqg/s640/2013-10-26%252012.28.05.jpg

And the cabinet:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9t7kAgVqtJ0/Umv2XL4UHTI/AAAAAAAABHw/vqpZcJUVI8s/s640/2013-10-26%252012.29.10.jpg

The bass is pretty cool. Seems to get a lot of fret buzz right now, but I am used to being able to play pretty hard on my P with Labellas, which are supposedly high tension. I thought it might be a truss rod thing, but things look okay when I do the quick 1st-and-13th-fret check. It might be more that I need to adjust my playing style on this one. Definitely a different sound than the P and it's very well made.

Tig
October 26th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Good finds! HNBD

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/styles/default/xenforo/smilies//410QH05TD8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

NWBasser
October 29th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Eric,

That's a very, very cool-looking bass!

I'm usually not so fond of bursts, but that one really looks good. I bet it has monster tone!

Is that a 1.5" neck at the nut?

If so, I may be in trouble.

Eric
October 30th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Eric,

That's a very, very cool-looking bass!

I'm usually not so fond of bursts, but that one really looks good. I bet it has monster tone!

Is that a 1.5" neck at the nut?

If so, I may be in trouble.
I didn't measure, but according to the seller it's 1 5/8".

TBH, right now I still prefer the P. The Schecter has a bit more of a gritty, maybe scoopy tone -- seems to dirty up quickly. It's nice to play, but the action is so low that I get fret clank almost immediately if I play with any force, which I almost always do. I like the ability to mix in some of the bridge pickup, but I also like my instruments dead quiet and this always has some buzz unless I ground it by touching the strings.

So yeah, it's a nice bass, but I'm not yet sure if I am all-in on it. Of course, you only know so much until you play it with a band.

Brian Krashpad
January 28th, 2014, 08:03 AM
Congrats, E!

MAXIFUNK
January 15th, 2015, 02:02 AM
Not fan of P Bass necks but the p/j pickup combo is sweet. Congrats