PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to check TheFret: desktop, smartphone, tablet, laptop...?

poodlesrule
November 5th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Just curious, what do you usually use to log on and have fun on the Fret?

poodlesrule
November 5th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Mods, please change "heck" to "check"!

See, I am using a laptop on the couch, and I regularly do that kind of typing mistake, and fail to check my title.

deeaa
November 6th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Tapatalk on Android phone.

Which, sadly, also heavily reduces the time spent checking it, as I keep getting so many notifs on Tapatalk from other forums I tend to spend my time on those. Unless there's a response to a subscribed thread, I seldom surf to sites any more. Got half a dozen forums I follow in Tapatalk and the rest is largely very occasional visits at best any more.

Tig
November 6th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Work laptop mostly.

Jipes
November 6th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Only on my laptop during work or Computer during the evening and week-end

guitarhack
November 6th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Home laptop.

piebaldpython
November 6th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Desktop at work and home.

sunvalleylaw
November 6th, 2013, 12:16 PM
laptop, desktop, iPhone.

riverrick
November 6th, 2013, 01:56 PM
desktop for me!!!

helliott
November 6th, 2013, 04:15 PM
generally home desktop and laptop.

tjcurtin1
November 6th, 2013, 05:12 PM
home desktop only

Retro Hound
November 7th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Old-fashioned computer with a mouse and a separate monitor and everything.

Eric
November 7th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Wherever. All of the above. It's pretty dead around here these days, so I there's not much reason to check it now.

riverrick
November 7th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Wherever. All of the above. It's pretty dead around here these days, so I there's not much reason to check it now.

I've noticed that too Eric. Way dead!!! What do you think reason??

poodlesrule
November 7th, 2013, 01:09 PM

I found that it is very easy to veer off onto another environment these days, want it or not.

Just the other day (middle of night actually!), using Tapatalk, I ran into a med student forum where high cost of education, surgeons' ethics were discussed, the 14 pages of it....!

Eric
November 7th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Things are just very fluid on the internet and the 'scenes' vary quickly. Unless you have a huge user base established like on Reddit or The Gear Page or Talkbass or something, activity can take a major hit when a couple of key personalities leave or get tied up with other parts of life. I think the coziness of The Fret is causing a bit of a lull because it's just not the hangout it used to be for some people.

I know I personally stopped caring about buying gear as much and I feel much more oriented within the guitar and sound universe, so I don't end up asking as many questions. I'm more interested in playing bass and playing with people than I am in buying another pedal I won't use. Some people experiment that way, but I'm more of a simpleton and given that, there will be a definite ebb and flow to my forum usage.

deeaa
November 9th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Yep, that. Me similarly...been selling off more than acquiring. I suppose a forum would need some more variety to always thrive even without huge membership numbers. Like also talk of cars, other hobbies, politics, even the dreaded philosophical or religious issues.

Tig
November 9th, 2013, 10:45 AM
My gear purchasing has pretty much halted. I have all I'll ever need ("want" is a different level!). GAS is limited to just a few items, but it can all wait.

As for forums, I spend most of my time at Mark Wein Guitar Lessons. A few fellow fretters frequent there and the place is very dynamic and fun, without politics and gear cork sniffing. The Fret will always feel like home, of course.

poodlesrule
November 9th, 2013, 01:01 PM
...Like also talk of cars, other hobbies, politics, even the dreaded philosophical or religious issues.

Hey, there's the food sub-forum, how universal is that...!?!?

deeaa
November 9th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Yeah :-) but not that thrilling though...

tjcurtin1
November 9th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Hmmmm... I started wondering why the influx of new members has dried up and I got to thinking - how many of us came to the Fret having found a link to one of Robert's gear demos - Vox amps, inexpensive guitars that Robert made sound great, etc. - ? While many of us seem to have gotten sated with GAS mania, I wonder if the lack of those interesting reviews of up-to-date gear means that new folks don't find their way here.