PDA

View Full Version : Stoked! (and nervous) New playing Opp!

sunvalleylaw
November 15th, 2013, 12:27 PM
I have been wanting for some time a live playing opportunity, but oriented toward rock, especially a bit more modern and alt-ish, Basically a chance to get a little loud. So last week I answered an ad in the local paper I found placed by a local drummer who had been in a local band for 17 years that was looking for musicians to jam with, after the band finally broke up. I called the guy and he seems straight up, is interested in playing modern rock and into type of music I would like to play as well including Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, etc. He also would like to play around with some RHCP sounding stuff. Fine with me!

He wanted to get together just me and him and jam. That totally freaked me out as I have never tried to carry both rhythm and lead guitar in a trio, much less without a bass player. But, . . . just talked to another guitarist last night that might fit, has similar interests (though would like to work in some jam band type music ala Umphrey's McGee, and wants to experiment with just some jamming on our own to see what we come up with. I checked it out with the drummer, and he was cool with it, so this guy is going to join in too. He, and the drummer, were quite encouraging as I described my limited band experience and basically want me to let go and just start out simply and see where it goes.

We are getting together Sunday for a couple hours to try it out. I plan on having one or two songs over to the guys to look at so we can start with something I am familiar with. I am thinking "Elderly Woman" as I have been playing that a lot, and also Crazy Mary as it is simple, and leads into a long jam opportunity. Then just go with the flow. Stoked!! If this works, it could turn into the rock/modern/altish playing opportunity I had been hoping for!

Advice anyone?

Tig
November 15th, 2013, 12:35 PM
http://makeameme.org/media/created/GOOD-LUCK-WERE.jpg

:AOK

helliott
November 15th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Great news. Hope it works out Steve. My only advice, which I have not followed myself on a few unfortunate occasions, is to keep an eye open for ego. Hopefully everyone is interested in the songs not their own prowess. Sounds like it could be fun and a reward for you. I wish for you the kind of collaborative feel we are fortunate to have in our band. Best wishes.

sunvalleylaw
November 15th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Thanks helliott. The good thing is I really don't have ego about it at all, so however I can fit in and play is better than not playing. I am hoping it works out too.

Algonquin
November 16th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Just play to fhe best of your abilities with enthusiasm and confidence. Try not to worry about the occasional flub, just shrug it off and get back in the groove. I'd rather listen The Clash over emotionless shredding any day of the week.

Above all... Have Fun!

Cheers,
David

sunvalleylaw
November 17th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Okay so that was totally awesome!! I am very glad I called that Ad. Did I mention . . . , that was awesome! All three of us looked at each other part way through, and we were all smiles. We have plans to continue, once a week, beginning after I get back from Thanksgiving holiday.

Tom, the other guitarist, arrived first, shortly followed by Cliff, the drummer. Cliff brought his electric kit, so that we could start off at lower volume. We did introductions, set up, and got right to it. Tom brought his custom built tweed deluxe clone and his Suhr fat strat, finished in a metallic orange/bronze with a maple board.

Started out with a basic chord progression and basic rhythm to warm up, and Tom and I swapped off rhythm and lead duties.

We then messed around with basically the ending chord progression in Pearl Jam's "Crazy Mary" again swapping off lead and rhythm, and having warmed up, getting a bit more aggressive with it. We all hit it off right away. Everyone kept in time pretty well. Cliff is a darned good drummer, and Tom has been in bands before, and is I would hazard a bit more experienced and very comfortable with leads and rhythms. As I said, he enjoys jam music in the style of Umphrey's McGee, but was quite happy with the song choices for the day, which came mostly from Cliff's list.

Next, we launched into a number of tunes Cliff was interested in playing and which he hoped would be simple enough in structure for moderate initial success. He was right.

We got into:

Last Kiss, by Pearl Jam (which was more or less the warm up chord progression we played around with at first)
Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town, Pearl Jam (my choice for the day)
Doesn't Remind Me, by Audioslave (My personal favorite of the day.)
Black, by Pearl Jam (another fun one)
Wish List, another Pearl Jam one. We got on a roll in Pearl Jam land for a while.
Some Stone Temple Pilots song. I can't remember which one right now.
Oh Me, by Nirvana
Creep, Radiohead version
Then circled back to Doesn't Remind Me and rant that a few times to get it really down, and then with Tom and I swapping off roles for entire run-throughs. Cliff did the singing today.

That took up the couple hours we had. We finished very enthused and pleased with finding other musicians with similar interests and desire, and with the ability to play together in fairly short order. Though I may be the least experienced, I am inspired to learn and progress quickly. And playing with others and being required to know a set list all the way through is what has propelled progress for me in the past. Plus the guys thought I was doing just fine and are comfortable with our trio. We may add a bass player Tom knows later on, but that remains to be seen.

This is Cliff's proposed list, and I will add mine on, as will Tom I am sure.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/photo_zpse5d9ef69.jpg

I am so stoked that I called that ad, and then ran into Tom, and that we got this thing going!

Robert
November 18th, 2013, 10:03 AM
That's awesome, Steve!

sunvalleylaw
November 18th, 2013, 10:43 AM
That's awesome, Steve!

Thanks Robert!

Jipes
November 19th, 2013, 08:35 AM
I'm very happy for you Steve there's nothing like playing in a band and having this feeling that hours pass like seconds and Music is the most important damn Thing ! It already look like a great set list BTW who is supposed to sing in the band ? Would you or Tom ?

I remember that years ago (most probably already 10 years) I advice my son to find some musicians and create a Band since he was lonely with his drum set in his sleeping room. since then he never part from the Band and has been touring extensively in the east european countries for the last ten years to much of his and my delight :thumbsup

Keep it going Steve and keep us up to date !

sunvalleylaw
November 19th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Thanks Jipes!

sunvalleylaw
November 19th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Oh, and regarding singing, right now Cliff, the drummer, sings. He has a nice voice and picked the songs to fit his taste and range. I am of similar, but more limited range and so hopefully will do some singing too, at least backup or on a couple numbers I want to do. Not sure about Tom's interest there.

We are going to get a date set for after I return from a thanksgiving holiday and forge ahead! :dance :thumbsup

tjcurtin1
November 19th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Steve, a great report! I am enjoying your excitement vicariously... hope it keeps being as fun and exhilarating!

Brian Krashpad
November 22nd, 2013, 10:42 AM
Bosstastic Steve! Would that everyone who wanted to play in a group setting had the opportunity! I have been very blessed and fortunate in that regard. One of the things I love about Gainesville.

Break a leg, laddie!