PDA

View Full Version : Amp ???

Big K
January 1st, 2007, 05:54 PM
Looking for recommendations on a (practice) modeling amp in the $300.00 range. Have posed this question on another forum and have received mixed opinions by posing a couple of models against each other. Looking for tones ranging from clean country to hard rock…. Input appreciated… thanks

duhvoodooman
January 1st, 2007, 06:29 PM
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT, $240 new. Great flexibility, eleven convincing model tones, eleven effects settings, unbeatable value.

Big K
January 1st, 2007, 07:20 PM
any concern on the sound of the stock speaker?

duhvoodooman
January 1st, 2007, 09:18 PM
Yeah, the stock speaker is a pretty cheap one and it's a little harsh on the highs and flabby on the bass. So I put in a Celestion G10 Vintage (~$75) and it sounds noticeably better.

t_ross33
January 1st, 2007, 09:21 PM
If you are a tone junkie, then swapping out the speaker would be a great option, but I think they sound great stock.

Cool feature: variable output power. You can dial it back without sacrificing tone for late night practice.

Cool feature: headphone output.

Doesn't have but could use for practice feature: a CD or line in.

NPauly
January 2nd, 2007, 04:35 AM
-- Portable amps

These amps aren't exactly what you're asking about, but they are both worth a quick test drive because they are perfect home practice amps. Plus I can guarantee you won't outgrow either of these. You might end up buying a "full scale" amp for gigs and band practice, but you will most likely end up using either of these amps for a lifetime.

Roland Micro Cube - $125.99
Roland U.S. > Micro Cube (http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=594)

Vox DA5 - $139.99
Vox U.K. > DA5 (http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/da/da5.htm)

-- Practice amps

These three amps are exactly what you're looking for. Everyone on here seems to prefer the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT, but you will also find many people that like the Roland Cube 30X just as much. The Peavey Envoy 110 is the newest generation of Peavey's transtube modeling amps and so far people seem very happy with this amp too.

Roland Cube 30X - $229.00
Roland U.S. > Cube 30X (http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=822)

Vox Valvetronix AD30VT - $239.99
Vox U.K. > Valvetronix AD30VT (http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/valvetronix/ad15vtad30vt.htm)

Peavey Envoy 110 - $239.99
Peavey > Envoy 110 (http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116534/number/00583560/cat/64/begin/1/Envoy%AE+110.cfm)

The bottom line is that you need to go to a music store and try out each of these amps before you make a decision. We can tell you what to buy, but that still doesn't guarantee that the amps will be perfect for you and your style of playing.

Tim
January 2nd, 2007, 09:28 AM
I highly recommend the Peavey Envoy 110 - 40 watt amp. Especailly if you have a selection of pedals. The 40 watts are loud and clean. At home I never go above number three on the volume level. You can't go wrong with a Peavey.

Big K
January 2nd, 2007, 09:59 AM
thanks for the info... I took the day off and am going to the store to have one last listen and pick one up....

Big K
January 2nd, 2007, 12:00 PM
went with the AD30VT... sounded the best to my old ears...

NPauly
January 3rd, 2007, 02:36 AM

Congrats on the new amp! :R

duhvoodooman
January 3rd, 2007, 06:06 AM
Great! I think you'll be quite pleased with it.

sunvalleylaw
January 3rd, 2007, 08:17 AM
Congrats on the new amp! :R

Echo that. Have fun with it!

tot_Ou_tard
January 3rd, 2007, 08:50 AM
Welcome to the Fret & to the VOX army Big K.

Big K
January 3rd, 2007, 10:39 AM
upgrading from a 15 year old 35wt Peavey single channel solid state with no tone whatsoever to the AD30 is not a jump but more of a leap... I am beyond impressed so far and the sound is much better at home than in the sterile store environment... think I'll leave the speaker alone for 6 months then decide if a change is in order.. It will take that long to get through all the variables.. thanks for the help...

Robert
January 3rd, 2007, 10:55 AM
Congrats on a great little amp. A tip - get if off the floor a bit - it sounds better that way.

Big K
January 3rd, 2007, 05:52 PM
thanks for the tip...will pick up an amp stand on my next trip to the store..

warren0728
January 3rd, 2007, 06:47 PM
will pick up an amp stand on my next trip to the store..
i think i am going to do that too....

ww

tot_Ou_tard
January 3rd, 2007, 07:37 PM
the sound is much better at home than in the sterile store environment...

I always find that this is the case. If I am trying out a new guitar then I want to play it through a VOX AD30VT 'cause that's what I have & I wnat to control the other variables as much as possible. It always sounds much more sterile that my box at home. Granted I've changed the speaker, but it was the same before the change.

I've taken to playing through a Tonelab. You don't have to fill a big store with sound that way.

marnold
January 3rd, 2007, 09:50 PM
Hey another guy joins the club! Pancakes for everybody! Warren?

warren0728
January 4th, 2007, 01:24 AM
here you go.....

ww :D

tot_Ou_tard
January 4th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Now *that's* the most Fret-like welcome that I've ever seen!!

Concise & mysterious.

Big K
January 6th, 2007, 11:35 AM
thanks for the Cakes!:D

warren0728
January 6th, 2007, 01:15 PM
they are much better fresh off the griddle and made in person!! :eek: :D

ww

Big K
January 7th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I find a new sound in that Vox every time I plug in (and I haven't gotten an amp stand yet)... I feel more GAS building in my system now for a Epi Valve Standard/Jr or Peavey Royal 8 but I'm going for the Pepto until I can dial in some more sounds on the AD30VT... put in an order to G-Fetish for some replacement pickups to upgrade the tone in my stringed thingy's that drive that amp...

tot_Ou_tard
January 7th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I find a new sound in that Vox every time I plug in (and I haven't gotten an amp stand yet)... I feel more GAS building in my system now for a Epi Valve Standard/Jr or Peavey Royal 8 but I'm going for the Pepto until I can dial in some more sounds on the AD30VT... put in an order to G-Fetish for some replacement pickups to upgrade the tone in my stringed thingy's that drive that amp...

Big K's been caught in the GASsand.

The more you struggle K, the faster you will sink.

There's nothing for it, you're going under like the rest of us.

I wouldn't worry though, there's a whole sand village replete with sandmaids under here!

Big K
January 9th, 2007, 10:17 PM
sweet..........................................

Riley
January 18th, 2007, 06:50 AM
I'm thinking about picking up a Vox AD30VT myself. I'd like to have an amp I can grab and go with to jams or just in my living room, without dragging my tube amp and huge pedal board around. :) I gotta stop by the music store tonight after work.

Big K
January 18th, 2007, 06:15 PM
still pleased with the variety of sounds that come out of that little devil... almost got the 50wt but the 30 has proven to be quite versatile...